ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting fact about Pistol Pete

Dan Marino never won anything,but most thought he was a pretty good QB.

Dan Marino played in a Super Bowl and won more games than any QB ever to not win one.

Besides, everyone with a brain knows that basketball is more impacted by individual talent than any other major team sport.

is Case Keenum the greatest quarterback in NCAA football history?

I think he scored 64 in a game against Kentucky and lost. It may have that game.

I think Rupp’s game plan was to let him go and stop the other 4. In the end Pistol went nuts, his team lost. I think his dad may have been the single worse recruiter in history. They had zip except for him.

One man, no matter how good simply cannot beat a team.

Actual game footage, judge for yourself (my judgement being that Dan Issel is, easily, by a mile, the best player on the court).

And some folks have an unhealthy dislike for reality.
You’re making a complete fool out of yourself. In other words, business as usual for you.

Pete is in both the College and Pro Basketball Hall of Fame. He scored 3667 points in College, without a three point line. Let that sink in.

He’s was also voted as one of the greatest NBA players EVER.

Anyone that doesn’t think was an absolute awesome player is just stupid. And that’s putting it too nicely.

Don’t bother arguing with me, because it’s not even fun to argue with something this obvious.
maravich6.jpg

Did you actually read the post? Im guessing not, but I will type slowly so you can keep up. When Dale Brown took over at LSU as HC he took it upon himself to go back and chart every one of Pistols game in college. Where the shots were taken, time, score ect. He in his book stated that Pistol would have averaged 13-3's per game. Now that means instead of counting for 2 it would have been a 3. Hence 13 points more per game. He averaged 44 per game. So if we take 44 and add that with 13 that would be 57. Hope that helps a bit.
Two things , he would have been guarded more closely if those shots counted 3 points so he wouldn't have as many attempts, AND dale brown is one of the biggest storyteller/liars that has ever been born .

Did you actually read the post? Im guessing not, but I will type slowly so you can keep up. When Dale Brown took over at LSU as HC he took it upon himself to go back and chart every one of Pistols game in college. Where the shots were taken, time, score ect. He in his book stated that Pistol would have averaged 13-3's per game. Now that means instead of counting for 2 it would have been a 3. Hence 13 points more per game. He averaged 44 per game. So if we take 44 and add that with 13 that would be 57. Hope that helps a bit.
He only averaged 16.7 field goals per game for his collegiate career. It seems extremely unlikely that over 75% of his baskets would have been 3 pointers.

Dan Marino never won anything,but most thought he was a pretty good QB.
I thought we were talking about players that didn't win anything,playing in a suoer bowl is not winning.Many thought he would be back many times since he got there in year one.He didn't.

Many of us older KY fans saw Pistol actually play against our Wildcats back in the 60's and were of course blown away. One fact I happen to run across that I thought was pretty interesting about Pistol and scoring.
When Dale Brown because coach at LSU he decided to go back and chart every shot Pistol made and from where during every game he played there.
Pistol averaged 44 points a game during his career with no 3 point line which of course has never been matched.
Brown said if there had been a 3 point line he would have averaged 13-3 pointers a game. Of course that would have had Pistol averaging 57 points a game.
One of if not the greatest college player I have ever seen and that goes back to the 50s to today.

I wondered what he would have averaged had there been a 3 point shot. I saw Pete play three times in Memorial Coliseum. He was quite the showman. I was always more impressed with his passing than I was his scoring. Incredible talent. Too bad Dan Issel player at the same time as Pete. Big Dan averaged 34 points a game his senior year but was overshadowed nationally by Pete.

Reactions: Calsarmy
First of all, don't talk down to me because you can't rationalize anything. You really believe that someone would AVERAGE 13 made 3 pointers? I don't care how good they are, no one is averaging that. The fact that you believe that clearly makes you look foolish. Now "let me slow it down for you," Steph Curry is the best shooter we will ever see and he's only made 13 three's once. You actually believe that someone can average 13 made threes? To be considered a good shooter, you need to shoot above 40%. So let's say that he does this. That means to be a 40% shooter he averaged 32 ATTEMPTED 3 pointers A GAME. Considering that his college per game average was 17-38 (FGM - FGA) that means that all but 6 of his shots that were attempted were threes. And all but 4 of his made shots were 2's. And he BARELY shot over 40% for his career so don't give me that BS about he was better than a 40% shooter. So use common sense and realize that there's no way he averaged 13 made threes a game.

Hope this helps a bit.

First of all, don't talk down to me because you can't rationalize anything. You really believe that someone would AVERAGE 13 made 3 pointers? I don't care how good they are, no one is averaging that. The fact that you believe that clearly makes you look foolish.
I've got no dog in this fight. But YES Pete could have averaged 13 3 pointers. His Dad gave him free reign to fire away.
For crying out loud...Pete AVERAGED 44 points a game. Do you think anyone could do that?
Heck No...unless Dad was the Coach and Superstar Son was Option A, B, C, D

I've got no dog in this fight. But YES Pete could have averaged 13 3 pointers. His Dad gave him free reign to fire away.
For crying out loud...Pete AVERAGED 44 points a game. Do you think anyone could do that?
Heck No...unless Dad was the Coach and Superstar Son was Option A, B, C, D
Continue reading...He only averaged 16.6 made field goals a game. So round that up to 17. So that means only 4 made shots were 2's. I am not questioning he could have attempted 13 3's, but no way he averaged 13 MADE 3 pointers.

Continue reading...He only averaged 16.6 made field goals a game. So round that up to 17. So that means only 4 made shots were 2's. I am not questioning he could have attempted 13 3's, but no way he averaged 13 MADE 3 pointers.
I witnessed Pete. If there was a 3 point shot, that would have dominated his shot selection.

I witnessed Pete. If there was a 3 point shot, that would have dominated his shot selection.
You're not really thinking. Think about it, if someone averages 13 made 3s a game they would have to average a 32 attempted (to be a 40% shooter). He averaged that many shots, sure, but he was a career 44 % shooter FROM THE FIELD. So he shot a lot of shots but also missed them.

So if there was a 3pt line, it would have dominated his shot selection? So how do you explain when the 3 was a thing in the NBA Pete AVERAGED .2 attempts per game and .3 makes per game?

Hell, Kobe Bryant averaged 35+ PPG in the NBA!!! 44 pts is amazing PPG but to believe someone could average 13 made 3's in a game is insane. Could he have done it a few times, sure. But averaging that, no way.

"The Pistol"
  • never beat the Cats.
  • was very entertaining.
  • was a gunner.
  • was a great passer.
  • had floppy socks.
  • was only about 6-5/6-4.
  • was the coach's son.
  • was great.

Reactions: Aike
Atlanta Hawks in the 3 seasons prior to drafting Maravich:

You're not really thinking. Think about it, if someone averages 13 made 3s a game they would have to average a 32 attempted (to be a 40% shooter). He averaged that many shots, sure, but he was a career 44 % shooter FROM THE FIELD. So he shot a lot of shots but also missed them.

So if there was a 3pt line, it would have dominated his shot selection? So how do you explain when the 3 was a thing in the NBA Pete AVERAGED .2 attempts per game and .3 makes per game?

Hell, Kobe Bryant averaged 35+ PPG in the NBA!!! 44 pts is amazing PPG but to believe someone could average 13 made 3's in a game is insane. Could he have done it a few times, sure. But averaging that, no way.

Not getting into the 13 made threes debate, but you’re comparing some apples to oranges here.

1. Pete played part of a season the year the NBA three point line was instituted. No one was really using the three.

Not to mention the NBA line was 3-4 feet deeper than the college line (depending on time period). Using his lack of three point shooting in the NBA as evidence that he wouldn’t have shot it in college is faulty logic, imo.

2. I don’t understand your point about Kobe averaging 35 ppg. That was also a terrific accomplishment by an all-time great. NBA games are 8 minutes longer than college games. 44 is also quite a bit more than 35.

OK, I will weigh in. Slightly. I don’t believe Maravich hit 13 threes a game. But he hit a lot of long jumpers that I imagine he would have stretched to threes, had a line existed.

It seems logical that Pete would have shot a ton of threes had he played in a three point shooting era. Likely more than anyone else.

Reactions: wildcatdonf
It's a BS story, that's the problem. Here are 2 things that show you it's complete BS:

1. As has been pointed out, Maravich made an average of 16.7 baskets per game. There is NO WAY that 77.8% of his made shots shots were from behind 3 point range. None.
2. In the history of college basketball, since the 3 point line was introduced, there are 7 guys who have made 13 or more 3 pointers in 1 game. In over 150,000 college basketball games since the the 3 point line was added, only 7 times has anyone made 13 3 pointers in a game.

We can read fine. We can also spot BS too.

Finally, somebody mentions the floppy socks.

I asked my mom recently about watching Pete play at Memorial against Issel. I knew my dad went to the game but wasn’t sure if Mom went.

She said, “We both went. Pete wore the socks.” Thought it was funny that that was her memory of the game.

Reactions: wildcatdonf
I asked my mom recently about watching Pete play at Memorial against Issel. I knew my dad went to the game but wasn’t sure if Mom went.

She said, “We both went. Pete wore the socks.” Thought it was funny that that was her memory of the game.

I remember those floppy socks so well. Not surprising about your mom as those socks caught everyone’s eye. That hair bouncing around was a trademark as well. Some of his passes were just crazy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT