ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball INSTANT ANALYSIS: Pope's introductory press conference

JRowland

All-American
Staff
May 29, 2001
www.rivals.com
Thought I'd share my reflections on Mark Pope's introductory press conference:

** Overall thought it was a good intro for Pope. He did not talk too much in any answer, tended to be brief and pivot, time limitations and what not. But he definitely hit some good talking points that show he's attuned to the mindset of Kentucky fans.

** First of all an incredible scene in Rupp Arena. I'm reminded of Indiana fans, "In 49 states it's just basketball." Ha. What a scene for Pope on a personal level. Imagine bringing your daughters there and them seeing that scene, his place in UK's past, present, and future. Kentucky basketball fans always show up but the energy today was similar to when Calipari was announced. That kind of energy is for the program, it wasn't something that Calipari created.

** Mitch Barnhart citing Jefferson Starship, "It's time for us to find our way back." Shots fired right from the jump. No direct mention of Calipari from anybody at Kentucky today but there were so many notes struck that you know they went over the talking points backwards and forward. From prioritizing the SEC Tournament to mentioning there will be 4-year players to gratitude for wearing the Kentucky jersey, a lot of fan frustration was addressed.

** Pope says you do not moderate expectations at Kentucky. No surprise here. He didn't talk about chasing UCLA's banner count like Calipari did when he was hired but he did say that cutting nets is the assignment. With the expedited timetable on the coaching hire, winning right away in year 1 was a factor in Barnhart's hire.

** Emphasized that the SEC Tournament matters to Kentucky because fans show up and it matters to them."

** Pope has a big personality. Not nervous at all. Some folks say they think the UK coach needs to have a big personality. I'm not sure it's essential but I can see where it helps. Doesn't look like someone who will flinch at criticism or take any criticism too hard.

** "Relentless 24/7 work" and those are not fake words. Pope says he learned that at Kentucky. He had been at UK for two weeks. Knew he had to catch up to play against great players. Was working at 11:30 p.m. at Memorial "and I hear balls bouncing." Five guys were in there. Resilience is a requirement at Kentucky.

** "Passion wins championships." John Calipari said at Arkansas that administrations win championships.

** "They are not doing the jerseys a favor by letting the jerseys clothe them. Our guys will know quickly... it will be one of the great honors of their life to put that jersey on"

** When Pope said they get to be shepherds, Jeff said, "That was not good." A little awkward but funny and lots of cheers.

** Noted that his last team made the second most threes in all of college basketball. "But at Kentucky we don't come in second." Fourth most assists in the country at BYU, "and at Kentucky we share everything."

** Absurdly aggressive on offense, change it up on defense. Probably the return of the situational zone.

** Pope emphasizes style fit and finding guys who understand how important it is to put the Kentucky jersey on.

** On building a college basketball staff, Pope says everything is different now. It's not just on court development and recruiting but GM positions, NIL positions. Could talk hours about it.

** Pope asks if everybody would like a game against St. John's. Mentions the possibility of playing in Maui.

** Pope has loved deeply the places he has coached. Since he started coaching, every person he knows also knows that his heart bleeds Kentucky blue.

** "The assignment" is winning in March. If you're too cautious or too worried to take that on don't take on that challenge. Don't come to Kentucky if you don't understand that nothing else is acceptable.

** On in-state recruiting, mentioned Travis Perry by name. "There's a good chance Travis is not going to jump in the portal."

** Pope asked about offense, taking a lot from Pitino's DNA and growing into it. Pitino looks at you and says "you copycat" sometimes. But if he can take anything from him it would be that every second desperate relentless fight on the court. If he can get guys to buy in like Pitino, I think you will be happy with the results. We don't know HOW WELL he will recruit, but if he gets guys to play that hard, that's a great foundation.

** Gratitude a big part of what Pope talked about. Just as a mentality, leading people to play hard for the school.

** Feels like Pitino is "back" in a sense. The way Pope talks about him, getting nervous to talk to him, leaning on him, learning from him, big day for Pitino.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News