ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting INSIDER NOTES

JRowland

All-American
Staff
May 29, 2001
www.rivals.com
** With Ja'Keem Jackson making his decision tomorrow the latest indications I've gotten is that Florida is the most likely choice. Really talented player and I would guess UK is in his top two or three but the Gators have always seemed to have a slight inside track and that could be a lot to overcome.

** Offensive lineman Naquil Betrand announces on Saturday and the choices seem to be Kentucky and Syracuse. Right now the thinking is Kentucky is out in front. I'm at about 80% confidence level because I haven't heard anything about him being a silent or obviously locked up in a way that would eliminate the drama. So factoring in that he has gone about things a bit differently (not publicly decommitting from Colorado, moving up his timeline unexpectedly), we have to account for the possibility that he's a wild card but I really feel like Kentucky is strong here. Zach Yenser is going to get guys for Kentucky. Was told recently that basketball commit Justin Edwards and Betrand are pretty close. Those around that area believe he is likely to pick Kentucky and that's one reason for the confidence.

Betrand would be an offensive tackle for Kentucky. You've had schools talk about him on defense which just speaks to his versatility. If he were to pick UK that would give the Cats two tackles, a guard, and a center, and I wouldn't rule out them continuing to work there.

** High three-star safety Kenton Kirkland visited Kentucky over the weekend. It was an unofficial visit as I believe Josh Edwards first reported. Florida State is the clubhouse favorite with Kirkland. He has been there an awful lot.

** Still feeling good about Kentucky's chances with 4-star LB Grant Godfrey. Timeline is still a bit of a mystery.

** Taking a step back, this class is really going to be about: Hitting on at least one running back between Keith/Moorman, continuing to upgrade the forecast at receiver, the future of the Big Blue Wall, and finding corners who can play. That's how I would judge this group, although I've been clear in saying not taking a '23 quarterback is something we may eventually talk about.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News