ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting INSIDER NOTES: Top targets in familiar regions

JRowland

All-American
Staff
May 29, 2001
www.rivals.com
** Mark Stoops and Eric Wolford had an in-home visit with 2022 offensive lineman Jalen Farmer on Monday.

** Expecting UK to continue to aim high at quarterback. Rivals' Sam Spiegelman predicted Christopher Vizzina to Clemson. With the portal being such a good option for a ready-made quarterback it makes sense to continue to aim high. Recruiting quarterbacks is a little different in that you aren't casting a wide net but in general I get the sense that Coen is going to be more the type to target one or two most preferred QBs at a time and will be reluctant to settle for someone who may or may not be at the level he wants.

** Do think QB Dante Reno is someone from the '24 class that we'd be wise to keep in mind. Would be wise to assume some portal activity when Levis leaves just to have someone with some experience as part of a competition but that's my take only and just have to imagine that's how any school would act with the portal now.

** Wolford has been transitioned into almost a super recruiter role with his assignments of Michigan, Tennessee, and Alabama. That's not totally taking on everything that Clink and Sumrall both had as Sumrall did some in Georgia and elsewhere but he's covering a lot of land that has been important to UK. Of those states I imagine Tennessee and Alabama will be more fruitful than Kentucky this next year.

** Kentucky is one of the schools to watch with Rivals250 DL Jalen Thompson. He would be the guy to really pay attention to out of Detroit for UK this year. Not going to be a lot of other Detroit guys on the radar barring something unforeseen this year but that's a matter of UK being selective and going after guys they want after eval as I understand it.

Here's the top-15 in Michigan if you're interested. Thompson the guy to watch as things stand now. Some believe Kentucky has as good a shot as just about any other school. Three MSU picks were logged for him on the FutureCast several months ago.

** Kentucky is actively recruiting most of the top offensive linemen in the Volunteer State including Luke Brown, Brycen Sanders, and Joe Crocker. Brown would be the hardest of those players to land and not sure if the others can play tackle but all would be good players.

** WR Shamar Porter is another player from Tennessee who it would be wise to follow closely. I think he's toward the top of their board at receiver and Kentucky is going to be a factor here.

** Speaking of offensive linemen, some other main guys to watch would the following:

UK stopped in to visit Osborne recently at Hewitt-Trussville. There's another defensive back at the school, Rickey Gibson III, who could be a guy to watch down the road.

As for Lang, he's got Florida, Georgia, Auburn, Ole Miss, Notre Dame, etc., but I think UK would be in a solid top group for him.

Wolford was the first coach to offer Bisontis so there's a relationship there.

Formby could have visited anywhere in the country but he was at UK's Junior Day. Whether he leaves the state of Alabama, time will tell, but I think Kentucky's in great shape to get an official visit.

Travis put in a pick for Griffin to UK and I'll probably be doing that as well. He was supposed to commit several months ago but needed to get people on board and then more recently said he got his dates mixed up for the junior day and ended up at Louisville.

Of course there is William "Woo" Spencer and Malachi Wood from in-state. UK is in great shape to land Spencer but I think they might want him to work out at camp just to learn more about him and how/where he would best fit in. As for Wood, the development piece over the months ahead is going to be important.

** In Alabama there will be instances where Wolford is picking up relationships that others had started. That was the case with Rivals100 DB Sylvester Smith, who had been in contact with Jon Sumrall previously.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.