ADVERTISEMENT

Football Insider Notes: More spring nuggets

JRowland

All-American
Staff
May 29, 2001
www.rivals.com
** Unless I have misunderstood, thought practice started indoors today and ended outdoors today.

** Devin Leary continues to impress, according to everyone I've spoken with. I've mentioned throwing receivers open before, but accuracy is what has really been standing out lately apparently. He's very, very accurate. Probably one of the most accurate quarterbacks in the country in terms of ball placement and consistency. I've also heard that the level of maturity and game experience he brings compared to Levis in '21 is shining in some moments. For example, there were a couple of less than perfect snaps today (although that has apparently not been a bad issue thus far) and Leary scooped both balls right up and slung it out with a live arm making good throws. Adjusting on the fly to the chaos and violence of the game around him. That's what you want to get in a grad transfer quarterback and that is what Leary will provide as long as he is healthy. On one play he picked up a low snap and just quickly got it out to Tayvion Robinson with no panic, no hitch. There's belief he has true command of the huddle.

** Anthony Brown ... gonna keep talking about him. Because I keep hearing about him. And you know how I like to spike the football after I've hyped a guy for a while. Hearing more Wan'Dale comps. Apparently they just look really similar out there. Official site lists him at 5'10 but if you stood next to him that might be a tad generous. Doesn't matter. He's a stud. He's also the kind of guy who is turning heads every day, which means he's mature and advanced. They're similar in stature... Brown may be faster than Wan'Dale, probably faster off the line. Wan'Dale had that singular ability to plant that foot in the ground and explode in a different direction to make you look bad/whiff, but in terms of having that extra gear to accelerate and gobble up a pass that seems out of reach or to go straight into double coverage and fight for the ball, he's legit.

The only issue for Crowdus, who I've talked up a lot, is what the depth chart looks like at slot. Between Tayvion, Brown, and Crowdus, they have something of an embarrassment of riches there. Lots for each of those guys to prove no doubt, but at the end of the spring I think one dynamic to watch will be what the playing time forecast between that trio is.

** Alex Afari is still working nickel/medium and from everything I've heard he looks huge. The +10 lbs on the roster stood out when we laid that out and apparently you can really tell. Also hearing that coverage looks solid and we know he can mix it up near the line of scrimmage. Apparently Vito Tisdale has been working out mostly at safety. He would probably be the third safety right now with Jalen Geiger out, but given the history of both players I'd comfortably project the latter to be one of their top three safeties going into the season assuming no rust.

** Keeping it in the secondary apparently Andru Phillips is really balling out. He can really, really cover. I know some believe he is very similar, like almost identical, to Brandin Echols in a lot of ways. If he's that kind of player next year then that would go a long way for them. There was a 1-on-1 with Phillips vs Barion today, have heard a deep post, and Phillips won the matchup. Big-time competitor. Of all the guys on the roster that I would say have not gotten enough talk in the last year, he may be at the very top of the list. I think he can be a good cornerback for them and got lots of experience last year.

** Jantzen Dunn is "getting there" I've heard. Apparently you can tell a little difference between JQ Hardaway and Dunn just in how they carry themselves and execute the little technique things as a defensive back, and it just goes back to game experience and the confidence that comes with it. But no doubt, Dunn has big-time potential. I wouldn't project him to beat out Phillips or Hardaway in his first year though.

** Speaking of the snaps, Jager Burton is working a lot at center and I've heard some pretty good reviews so far. It's obviously a learning curve but they're working on it now so when fall rolls around if that's the direction they want to move in/stick with he'll have plenty of practice reps there. Helps to have an experienced quarterback like Leary back there.

** Defensive lineman Keeshawn Silver was described as "violent" on the field by someone I spoke with recently. Pairing Deone Walker with Silver up the middle on the line is something both Stoops and White have talked about and it's starting to sound like we shouldn't put a ceiling on what Silver could do in Year 1. Very early, though, and we'll learn a lot more over time. Lots of guys flash in the spring practices or fall camp, what you really want to see/hear is the consistency of mentions.

** Kahlil Saunders apparently really looks the part even though he's out right now so that hasn't changed. Jamarius Dinkins looks the part as well and he had some moments late last year. Tomiwa Durojaiye has apparently put on some weight but still TBD on a potential impact or when that might happen from my vantage point, just need to hear him mentioned more and in context to know where he stacks up. But Dinkins, Saunders, and Silver should all be impact guys on some level this year for sure.

** Tyreese Fearbry really looks the part. Not just the eye test when he's standing on the sideline. Apparently he just about tracked down Dekel Crowdus from behind in a footrace today. Maybe Crowdus dialed it back a gear or two towards the end of the play but Fearbry was apparently flying when he was chasing him. So when you think about that speed, the length (he's apparently a legit 6'5), and the weight which is better than I ever expected it to be (last year or by now, really), it seems like it's only a matter of how well he can master the defense before they're ready to trust him with a lot of snaps out there. But athletically he flashed a bit.

** Ray Davis is not going to jump off the page or make your eyes bug out, but is the type of back who slowly grows on you. C Rod was like that a little - distinctly remember his high school coach telling me that - but C Rod and Davis are totally different. Whereas the former seemed to want to seek out contact and blow it up, getting stronger, Davis is more of a crafty runner. He's got some mass to him but is niftier in cutting and with his footwork running behind and between linemen. His footwork has gotten some good reviews from folks I've spoken with so that's a positive for sure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News