ADVERTISEMENT

In case any of you were wondering what Charlie Strong is up to these days..

trueblujr2

All-American
Dec 14, 2005
I’m sure that’s what all of you woke up wondering today.
He’s doing color commentary for MAC games on ESPN+. Found that out when I turned on my nephews game. Figured he’d at least be on somebody’s staff as an assistant.

Reactions: Smashcat
Am I remembering wrong that his speaking wasn't the best I've heard in interviews? I'd think that wouldn't be good for working on TV. I might be misremembering though.

I used to deliver pizza to his house a lot of Friday's. My buddy used to own a pizza place across from Lake Forest.

Lot of once rising star DCs who got big p5/p4 gigs over the past decade or so are doing other shit nowadays…

Gon be a few more joining them in the not so distant future

Am I remembering wrong that his speaking wasn't the best I've heard in interviews? I'd think that wouldn't be good for working on TV. I might be misremembering though.
It’s not. He’s a bit difficult to understand at times. But he talks like a coach so he offers some decent insight but sometimes over the average viewers heads.

South Florida​

[edit]
On December 11, 2016, Strong was named as the fourth head coach of the University of South Florida.[17]

He was fired after the 2019 season.[18]

Jacksonville Jaguars​

[edit]
On February 11, 2021, Strong was hired by the Jacksonville Jaguars as their assistant to the head coach and inside linebackers coach, reuniting with head coach Urban Meyer.[19]

Miami (FL)​

[edit]
On March 4, 2022, Strong was hired by the University of Miami as their co-defensive coordinator and linebackers coach.[20] On February 9, 2023, Strong indicated that he would not be returning to Miami after he was passed over for the defensive coordinator position.[21]

Alabama​

[edit]
In 2020, Strong was hired as a defensive analyst at the University of Alabama under head coach Nick Saban, following his termination from South Florida.[22] As a defensive analyst, Strong helped the Crimson Tide win the 2021 College Football Playoff National Championship. On March 1, 2023, the University of Alabama under head coach Nick Saban announced that they had hired Charlie Strong as a Defensive Analyst for the 2023 Football season.[23]

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT