ADVERTISEMENT

I'm ready for the Jon Sumerall era

The math is a little different at Iowa.

From Hawkeyesports.com:

“The position of UI head football coach was endowed in 2021 by Will and Renee Moon. The Bettendorf, Iowa, couple are UI alumni and longtime Hawkeye supporters.”

I do not know the details, but this blunt statement indicates Iowa may have money to toss at assistants. And Marrow is a well respected recruiter in the mid-west.

Ferentz is 69 years old.

The three Stoops brothers are well respected at Iowa, Ferentz having scheduled games with Zona when a Stoops coached there.

Hawkeyes could run the table. Remaining schedule isn't tough. They play Nebraska final game of season, that's about it.

Ferentz is looking at consecutive 10-win heaters. Good shot at a playoff, maybe even win a game or two depending on draw.

Now, that's not to say that he wouldn't just go ahead and decide to drop the mic on a high note and leave whoever comes next with a great situation.

It is to say, or ask, is Mark Stoops your guy? Being a top 20ish program that's sniffing around 10 wins, playoffs, and money being no object.

Iowa is an attractive job and will have suitors, many with better resumes than Stoops.

Mark Stoops is struggling with Vandy and SC, hovering around 6ish wins for his career.

Not only will his resume not be the best, it'll be okay, but he's also way behind the times on offensive approach. Which is a key factor when hiring today, especially at that level. Can you keep up? What have your offenses done?

Forget Oregon, OSU, Penn St, USC, and Nebraska rising. Can you keep up with IU...hanging about 40 per?

Reactions: The-Hack
While I think he can be solid here, I'm really hoping the next coach is an offensive guru. I'm tired of old school defensive philosophies. Offense wins titles these days.
I’m ok with either side of the ball as long as their offensive philosophy is good.

Reactions: The-Hack
He won't win any more than Stoops.

To compete for the playoff and sec title, you have to get way better players than we have. Better staff, etc.
This is totally not true. You can beat Vandy and South Carolina with the top 15 roster Stoops has. Stoops has actually recruited extremely well. Even beyond that his best quality is retention, every team in the SEC loses 3-4 starters a year to the portal except UK.

I have no understanding of why people would not want Sumrall. He has PROVEN he can be a successful head coach.

I'm 61.

Hence, I have lived the oft-expressed regret of Kentucky fans missing out on a young Claiborne, who then guided Maryland to their greatest heights, a young "Chollie Mac," McClendon, who was successful at LSU, and a National Title winner/Howard Schnellenberger, all since 1970. All were UK Alum who were widely believed to want the job, Chollie Mac and Claiborne when young, and Schnellenberger when mature and proven.

Maybe a young guy winning at an 85% percent clip, who is a UK Alum, and who is a proven recruiter, with enormous ties to the Deep South would fail, here.

But I would have to see it to believe it.

I just don't want to miss out on a rising talent who actually wants to be here, and who will not (privately or publicly) cast aspersions on the program, the boosters, the program history, or fund raising, which were sins of Curry, Mumme and even Stoops. Sumrall's infectious emotional "buy-in" has been a major key in his success, and Pope is an excellent comparison. If Sumrall sees a shortcoming, he won't simply "curse the darkness, but will cast a light."

Last edited:
Pretty much. Doesn't mean we can't compete in individual games and pull the occasional upset. We aren't gonna ever go 10 and 2 to make the playoff. 9 and 3 may get a bama or UGA in but voters probably won't choose 9 and 3 UK over them.

Not sure we ever go 9 and 3 again due to NIL and expanded sec.
This is such a loser take. There's some kind of magical barrier that wont allow us to win that 1 extra game? We have gone 9-3 twice.

When people say we can never do any better than were doing now that means Stoops would have to be the greatest coach of all time. Now if he's not the Goat than a slightly better coach would put us in a spot to do slightly better than our best seasons which would be 10-2.

Its the same people who said UK could never recruit QBs. Then we made 1 good hire and 4 star QBs starting falling from the sky. Its that easy with the right coaches.

Reactions: jeffky
The point is UK is going to win 6-8 games most years regardless of who the coach is unless they are terrible. UK has a choice: do they want to be in a bunch of close games and feel like they are competing each week or do they want to go big knowing more lopsided games are going to be the result. Do you want to lose 24-17 or 49-27?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT