ADVERTISEMENT

I'm in

As I said in an earlier post, I have followed KY BB since 1957 and I was done until Cal was gone. I meant every word!!!
I'm back. Mark Pope will have to prove he is worthy of this position, but he already has a lot going for him. He's smart, a good x&o's coach and I think he will bring the BBN back where we belong. ON TOP!!!

Welcome - you won't regret it.

This is Kentucky Basketball and this is the coach you want running your program. Let the results lay where they end up.
This is UK bb and the guy we want running it has zero assistants to bring in, zero players, has no recruiting presence for uk caliber players. But we got a uk guy and when we are bottom half of sec we will be fine. Good grief. I’m going to pull for mark but there is a reality here

• Haha
Reactions: FrankUnderwoodX
This is UK bb and the guy we want running it has zero assistants to bring in, zero players, has no recruiting presence for uk caliber players. But we got a uk guy and when we are bottom half of sec we will be fine. Good grief. I’m going to pull for mark but there is a reality here
I have my doubts, trust me. But I'm supporting until otherwise.

Reactions: FrankUnderwoodX
This is odd when Cal was at Memphis the battle cry was he was a cheater - then Kentucky hired him and brought at least 2 players from Memphis. But when Cal goes to Arky and takes players he is a criminal. We will see if Pope is going to be OK. But fans probably won't be able to brag about the recruiting class.

When I watch ESPN - it seems there is only one Blueblood and that is Duke.

Every team is can be seen on TV - Arky can provide MORE NIL money than most schools as they have Walmart money, Jerry Jones and the Tyson money. When the coach search opened up - there were many posts about coaches lining up to beg for the job.

I hope Pope is successful - just hope Cal doesn't start using the transfer portal.
I wish people would stop with the "we will see" passive aggressive nonsense. How about saying "I'm pulling for him to succeed"? I know you went both ways with this one, you probably get super emotional and torn up when a storm turns to sunshine, lol.

I’m all in. Think it’s a great hire. He gets it, smart, runs a cool scheme. Dudes will want to play for him, don’t think guys play hard for Cal.

I had forgotten he was the Captain of that 96 team, that did it for me. This is gonna be fun. GBB!

Anger was riding high. A night of sleep, some water. Helps. We can't let our program's status slip anymore. People already think UCONN is the best program. We gotta get back there. I can either support Pope or stop supporting. I'm choosing to get on the Pope wagon.
Too many are making excuses for trashing Pope and Mitch on this one, and then saying oopsie! Be positive, people! This hire was to bring BBN together again, no one wants that more than Pope.

Reactions: MegaBlue05
Anger was riding high. A night of sleep, some water. Helps. We can't let our program's status slip anymore. People already think UCONN is the best program. We gotta get back there. I can either support Pope or stop supporting. I'm choosing to get on the Pope wagon.
Best way to handle it. When I ribbed people about Pope it wasn’t because I thought he was a bad hire. I think he’s a better fit than all the others. I couldn’t believe the ignorance all around about the main targets. That’s why I bet my buddy. Pope runs the same style a lot of coaches in college and nba does. Lots of zoom. It’s who you get to run it that’s important. His offense won’t be a problem. His defense is just ok but will probably get better with better players.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Too many are making excuses for trashing Pope and Mitch on this one, and then saying oopsie! Be positive, people! This hire was to bring BBN together again, no one wants that more than Pope.
I don't think I trashed Pope. Trashed Mitch? Hell yeah. But spare me the bleeding heart stuff.

Reactions: cornbreadnmilk
I don't support Mitch. But I'm in on Pope. Let's see what he can do this year. If he can get some key staff hires i'll be ready to rock this November. We don't have any other options at this point.

We ride at dawn.

4gFOWM.gif

• Haha
This feels like when we made Billy Clyde era tee shirts.

He will need to earn my excitement and it all starts with a roster worthy of the Kentucky name. I don’t have a nostalgic heart. Nostalgic hearts are oft broken

This feels like when we made Billy Clyde era tee shirts.

He will need to earn my excitement and it all starts with a roster worthy of the Kentucky name. I don’t have a nostalgic heart. Nostalgic hearts are oft broken
I'm not excited. Far from it. Just saying I'm supporting Pope and giving him a chance to show me something.

Reactions: Rockfly78
I'm not excited. Far from it. Just saying I'm supporting Pope and giving him a chance to show me something.
I’m a pretty positive guy. As a poster I’ve always reacted to exactly what’s in front of me. I’ve never had an agenda even though I was accused of it. I feel like I’m rational and I keep my emotions in check. But I’m not liking this. This feels like a brainwashing.

I will watch every game. I will wear blue. But I don’t expect this to end well. He will have my support the way cal did. The way Clyde did. But on the surface I think we have just set the program back 3-5 years and we will be looking for a new coach in that time span.

I want to be wrong. I want to be happy. But I’m not that easily swayed when my gut speaks to me.

I’m a pretty positive guy. As a poster I’ve always reacted to exactly what’s in front of me. I’ve never had an agenda even though I was accused of it. I feel like I’m rational and I keep my emotions in check. But I’m not liking this. This feels like a brainwashing.

I will watch every game. I will wear blue. But I don’t expect this to end well. He will have my support the way cal did. The way Clyde did. But on the surface I think we have just set the program back 3-5 years and we will be looking for a new coach in that time span.

I want to be wrong. I want to be happy. But I’m not that easily swayed when my gut speaks to me.
I'm with you man. This was me. Still is me. But i'm trying to be positive. And approach the situation we are in with a positive mindset.

I have my doubts, trust me. But I'm supporting until otherwise.
I ll cheer for the wildcats like I said in another thread I went to just about every home game when Bcg was at UK. The mystique of the program though is finished as long as Barney is here. He is not respected by elite coaches. No one wanted to come some will say it’s fans but no it is all Barney. I’m wondering if Barney ruined cal. I mean I know he did with the contract. But in other ways too. He hired a guy who will do what he’s told to. We pay our fb coach who is average more than our bb coach. That’s a very troubling sign for the future

I ll cheer for the wildcats like I said in another thread I went to just about every home game when Bcg was at UK. The mystique of the program though is finished as long as Barney is here. He is not respected by elite coaches. No one wanted to come some will say it’s fans but no it is all Barney. I’m wondering if Barney ruined cal. I mean I know he did with the contract. But in other ways too. He hired a guy who will do what he’s told to. We pay our fb coach who is average more than our bb coach. That’s a very troubling sign for the future
Agree. Barney needs to go.

I don't support Mitch. But I'm in on Pope. Let's see what he can do this year. If he can get some key staff hires i'll be ready to rock this November. We don't have any other options at this point.
Exactly. People are whining babies didn't get their way with the coach they wanted.
Pope loves UK. Real fans will get behind him. Even if they didn't agree with the hire.
Give the man at least a couple years. He may be great. He may fail. But I'll guarantee you he will pour his heart and soul into the job. If he fails it won't be for lack of trying.
The last coach became a joke. He could care less about UK winning or the fans.
Current coach is polar opposite.

I still think ky is respected by elite coaches. The problem is Mitch only offered 2 of them. Then ignored a plethora of great coaches who would have likely said yes. Then hired a guy without the pedigree for the job.

The shit will be losing to Duke by 30 and having scumbag Cal beat us in Rupp.
So you know it all? How in the Hell do you know this for a fact? You don't even know what the hell the roster will be. Way to give a guy who loves Kentucky a chance.
You sound like a spoiled child who didn't get his toy.

Go watch BYU vs KU, BYU VS BAYLOR and BYU vs TTech 2024. We are going to be just fine thank you!

These are exactly my sentiments. Barney is brainwashing the base by bringing in a former player. His reasoning for hiring pope besides being a former player
- he was a captain. This is something that he is just beginning to talk about brought it up with cal. It’s Barney new talking point probably picked it up when he hired the girls coach.
- talked about popes autograph signing for fans some random story
- he uses buzz words like “let’s go”
this was his justification in addition to running an open offense. He didn’t talk about winning, didn’t talk about titles, didn’t talk about how pope will bring recruits. We are now one of many school. The mystique of KENTUCKY has been rubbed out by Barney. Kentuckians don’t care if a Kentuckian is running the program they care if it’s winning. He thinks Kentuckians are idiots and will accept a guy and be patient bc he played for UK. Oh how Barney is so out of touch. I’ll watch and I’ll cheer as hard as I did in memorial when we played in the nit vs unlv but if we miss another tournament I’ll want him gone no different than Bcg. Barney acts like we will accept losing because it’s a UK guy. This isn’t UK basketball. We are operating like a football school and our fb program is average at best. For me that trade off of our bb tradition isn’t worth an ok fb program. We pay our bb coach less than our average fb coach. What has happened???

I was cautiously optimistic last night, but I’m all in today. It’s already a breath of fresh air. I hope Cal never wins a game with the hogs.

Everything I’ve seen and heard about Pope’s basketball philosophy and testimonials from those who played with him here, prove he’s a first class coach and is capable of winning big here. Let’s give him that opportunity.

Im all in. Mitch and the boosters pulled Ca’s punk card this last week. They have a guy who is capable, humble and bleeds blue like the rest of us.

F- Cal, Hurley, Arkansas and the rest of them. We got our guy. Time to rebuild. Get behind our coach and AD.

I still think ky is respected by elite coaches. The problem is Mitch only offered 2 of them. Then ignored a plethora of great coaches who would have likely said yes. Then hired a guy without the pedigree for the job.
Well and you have a hofer basically saying he wasn’t supported by admin. Then K saying cal could have had a dynasty. Looking like a USCjr on the fb and bb side. That’s where Barney put us

Well and you have a hofer basically saying he wasn’t supported by admin. Then K saying cal could have had a dynasty. Looking like a USCjr on the fb and bb side. That’s where Barney put us
I hadn’t seen that about K. What did he say was stopping cal from a dynasty?

I hadn’t seen that about K. What did he say was stopping cal from a dynasty?
He was kind of cryptic said we are 2 plays from 2 more titles or something like that. Then said cal was on the verge of breaking out again. Idk about his take. But yeah if cal had won 1 more we wouldn’t be talking about a new coach now and we could be looking at a potential dynasty

Pope is proving himself to be one of the best basketball minds in the country. With the right support, he can win big here.

I am in even if he can't get enough solid players to compete for a sweet sixteen. I am in. It could take a year to get started. He has a late start, though I understand that he could Suprise with a good roster. We shall see.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT