ADVERTISEMENT

I'm calling it right now concerning Bradshaw injury

My fear is he will never play one minute for us. I am afraid his posse, people, AAU Coach, family, hangers on, peeps, advisors, boys, High School Coach will shut him down so as not to risk further injury.
I hope and pray I am wrong and will gladly eat crow if I am.
You're probably right, Bradshaw will never play 1 second of basketball at UK. This is what happens when you put a gutless, spineless, little wimp like John Calipari in charge. When the players have ZERO respect for the coach. You have players like Kahil Whitney & Shaedon Sharpe doing whatever they want. It's just a matter of time & the inmates are running the asylum. The dog is wagging the tail. And UK basketball has become a disaster.

Kind of the point of scholarships, yes?
And you think that's enough? If a star basketball player contributes to bringing in tens of millions of dollars of revenue in a season, he should be happy with a scholarship worth $35k?

Reactions: Cats192
And you think that's enough? If a star basketball player contributes to bringing in tens of millions of dollars of revenue in a season, he should be happy with a scholarship worth $35k?
That's the way it used to be, yes. That's how it was designed. This isn't the NBA or G-League. You can't expect people who have been around a long time to be okay with what we're seeing.

My fear is he will never play one minute for us. I am afraid his posse, people, AAU Coach, family, hangers on, peeps, advisors, boys, High School Coach will shut him down so as not to risk further injury.
I hope and pray I am wrong and will gladly eat crow if I am.
I agree, smells like another none and done. That injury bench is a great place to conceal deficiencies in your game. It will heal up quick after next years draft. Has UK healed an injury in a decade ?
And like clockwork, He won't play the whole season and we might get the full story months after he's gone.....Sound familiar?

Reactions: delk4three
We're young!!! On a loop.
Their not robots!
We've had injuries!
I like my team.
Mad Old School GIF by Feliks Tomasz Konczakowski
'if you are mad dont take it out on the kids take it out on me. quit blaming the kids'
even tho 99% on the criticism is about him

That's the way it used to be, yes. That's how it was designed. This isn't the NBA or G-League. You can't expect people who have been around a long time to be okay with what we're seeing.
I agree, and the whole NIL thing could have been avoided had the NCAA instituted some non-draconian policies instead of their often absurd rules.

Here's an example - a newspaper article from many years ago. A D-2 player got suspended 3 games and had to return the whopping sum of $50. Note the sarcasm in the AD's comment at the end:

Greg Eckstein’s problems with the NCAA are over. Eckstein, a sophomore at Rollins College, had been suspended for three games because he had been paid $50 to appear as an extra in an upcoming basketball film. Accepting compensation is a violation of NCAA rules. Eckstein from Anderson, Ind., appears in the film Hoosiers, a story about high school basketball in the state of Indiana. He filmed his short segment last winter, when he went home on an off weekend. He had been told by the production crew that the NCAA had cleared the appearance. According to Steve Horton, of the NCAA’s Enforcement Division, the NCAA had not granted anyone permission to accept compensation for appearing. Eckstein had to sit out Rollins’ first three games. He will return to action Thursday, when Rollins is home against Otterbein. He also had to return the $50. “We’re back in good graces with the NCAA,” said Gordie Howell, Rollins’ athletic director. “Fortunately, they didn’t take away our television rights.”

Reactions: NociHTTP

A good read is "Raw Recruits" although most UK fans have a problem with the way UK is protrayed in the book. Having said that, players have been paid for years. It is now just above the table instead of under it.

Reactions: NociHTTP
I'm going to give one more example of the ridiculousness of some NCAA rules. I heard about a case where a player at a small school came from a really poor family, and had never been to a dentist in his life. All those years of neglect resulted in cavities going untreated, several of which became abscessed and required root canals. He was in constant pain. The NCAA would not allow the school to provide dental care - that would be a violation. So the coach had to secretly pay for the kid's dental care out of his own pocket.

Utterly absurd. The NCAA cares way more about making money than they care about the welfare of their student-athletes.

Reactions: saxonburgcat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT