ADVERTISEMENT

Illegal Sealing

Cal needs to contact the SEC office and warn them about this stuff, these refs should be calling these illegal seals, either with 3 second violations or just plain fouls. I remember watching Vandy players shoving Brooks backward a couple of years ago and almost injuring him. This needs to stop.
Yeah, it's been happening quite a bit lately. It happened often at A&M and then again versus Georgia. And you're right, it's not always a foul but it is often a 3-second call, and sometimes it's both.

Yeah, it's been happening quite a bit lately. It happened often at A&M and then again versus Georgia. And you're right, it's not always a foul but it is often a 3-second call, and sometimes it's both.
As was discussed in another thread earlier today, I can’t recall the last time a 3 second violation was ever called. To be honest I’ve pretty much forgotten about it as it’s never called and have pretty much stopped paying attention to those type things in the game. This is something coaching staff should be working the officials on during the game if they are not already. Keep pointing stuff out to an official they will start to look for it and call it.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
Bottom line is, we can't depend on the officials. Our bigs , especially Bradshaw and Mitchell are going to have to be a bit more aggressive. They are a little soft, Bradshaw is ok with off ball defense, but he gets pushed around too much. Until our bigs show more toughness, teams will continue to bully them inside. Getting pushed around and leaving your feet on every ball or shot fake puts you way out of position and the refs are not going to bail that out. Also, on offense, if you fade away or torque your body to avoid contact, you are not getti g a foul called. Go up and at your man, not away. That is where we miss Theiro the most, he is OUR bully and enforcer. We do not have another guy who will get up in a guys chest. Wagner is the next best at that. He may get his shit thrown at the rim alot, but he is fearless and has the heart to go right at the interior of the opposing defense.

As was discussed in another thread earlier today, I can’t recall the last time a 3 second violation was ever called. To be honest I’ve pretty much forgotten about it as it’s never called and have pretty much stopped paying attention to those type things in the game. This is something coaching staff should be working the officials on during the game if they are not already. Keep pointing stuff out to an official they will start to look for it and call it.
Cal brought this up in the press conference. Said something like “their bigs would just stay in the lane for five seconds at a time. Well sometimes it wasn’t five seconds….sometimes it was seven.”

Yeah. I was taught in grade school that it was illegal and not to do it. Moving pick/screen was the call and I thought that was a “point of emphasis” in the NCAA recently. (Last year?)

I can only remember a handful of three second calls.

There was a good one 2-3 years back. Chubby European big man was defending a big and holding his hand up to count for the ref.

Got to 5 three times before they finally called it

Big Z had a nice seal for the Reeves dunk. Just one more reason he's the GOAT!

Big Z drew attention to the dirty play down low by UGA. They were definitely trying to hurt our bigs. Bradshaw and Onyenso have to fight harder to disengage, get their arms unhooked and break free of the holds. That officiating crew refused to clean the BS up.

The sealing off bothered me more than anything else, several times their big man was in the lane 5 or 6 seconds doing that. You can score every time down if they are going to allow that. Between carrying the ball or palming as we used to call it, and moving screens down low, that's two things that give an offense a heck of an advantage, both are illegal and happen all the time.

Reactions: DDMatUK=NBA
Cal brought this up in the press conference. Said something like “their bigs would just stay in the lane for five seconds at a time. Well sometimes it wasn’t five seconds….sometimes it was seven.”
But did he bring it up to the officials during the game is the question.

What's the difference between wrapping arms around a defender, whether you're facing him or not? Nothing. A foul is a foul.

I can only remember a handful of three second calls.

There was a good one 2-3 years back. Chubby European big man was defending a big and holding his hand up to count for the ref.

Got to 5 three times before they finally called it
That's a really good idea. Maybe we can get the fans to do the counting really loudly.

Reactions: AGEE11
Like it or not, three second calls are a thing of the past. I do recall Oscar got away with a good deal of "sealing" himself last year.

Reactions: mcnicKY91
Cal needs to contact the SEC office and warn them about this stuff, these refs should be calling these illegal seals, either with 3 second violations or just plain fouls. I remember watching Vandy players shoving Brooks backward a couple of years ago and almost injuring him. This needs to stop.
Eh...sealing off a big on a drive to the hoop is as old as time. This tactic has been employed in all levels of basketball seemingly forever. Don't go looking to the refs for help, cuz they ain't calling it (nor would I want them to, b/c UK does the same thing...see Oscar the past two years).

The real problem is Bradshaw (and Ugo to a lesser extent) are just not physical enough. So they will continue to get sealed.

Secondarily to that, it would actually help if our guards could stay in front of their man, if only 25% better than they are now...would be a night and day difference.

But Wagner, Dilly, and Shep are terrible at guarding the ball. My favorite is when Shep goes for a ball fake when the guy is 35 feet from the hoop. Like what are you doing dude?

Eh...sealing off a big on a drive to the hoop is as old as time. This tactic has been employed in all levels of basketball seemingly forever. Don't go looking to the refs for help, cuz they ain't calling it (nor would I want them to, b/c UK does the same thing).

The real problem is Bradshaw (and Ugo to a lesser extent) are just not physical enough. So they will continue to get sealed.

Secondarily to that, it would actually help if our guards could stay in front of their man, if only 25% better than they are now...would be a night and day difference.

But Wagner, Dilly, and Shep are terrible at guarding the ball. My favorite is when Shep goes for a ball fake when the guy is 35 feet from the hoop. Like what are you doing dude?
Everybody's really handwringing about our defense. But the reality is, two point baskets don't beat you. Threes do. If we convert our and-one opportunities and hit 35% or better from three and run their guys off the line we win every time. Even if we give up 90 we're still going to win.

I don't have a problem with the sealing off by bigs. Frankly, if the refs aren't going to call it, then we need to use it ourselves.
It depends on the extent. Sealing your defender is one thing; putting your ass into them and driving them to the other side of the lane is a foul. And the 3 second rule has to be enforced regardless. You can't allow offensive players to park themselves in the lane.

Reactions: St.PatterSoN-54-
Everybody's really handwringing about our defense. But the reality is, two point baskets don't beat you. Threes do. If we convert our and-one opportunities and hit 35% or better from three and run their guys off the line we win every time. Even if we give up 90 we're still going to win.
And rightfully so. For as much as people complained about UKs offense over the past few years, fans are well within their right to call out the Cats abysmal defense.

There will most definitely be games this year where UK will not put up 90 points. It will happen. Would be nice to know our defense is semi-capable of winning a game or two if need be (and believe me, the need will be there at some point this season).

It depends on the extent. Sealing your defender is one thing; putting your ass into them and driving them to the other side of the lane is a foul. And the 3 second rule has to be enforced regardless. You can't allow offensive players to park themselves in the lane.
As previously mentioned in the thread, Oscar made a living doing that the past two years. How many times would Oscar seal his guy so Wheeler could get a free layup? Happened all the time. How many times did Oscar camp out in the lane for well over 3 seconds to get a rebound? All the flippin time.

Didn't hear anybody in our fanbase complaining about it then...

They're a little too lax on setting screens as well. Its like theyve adopted the you cant call everything motto.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT