ADVERTISEMENT

I'll be taking my first trip to Morgantown...

Shadow1671

Senior
Gold Member
Dec 11, 2002
...a week from today. I have a very good friend that is a huge West Virginia fan and we are going to the West Virginia and St. John's game. It's been a while since I got a chance to boo Rick Pitino. While I know West Virginia ain't what they used to be, I also know St. John's isn't exactly a world beater this year either.

Them West Virginia fans can get rowdy from time to time, and I am absolutely not above encouraging them to do so. hehe

Any suggestions for chants I could help start?

Reactions: Fox2monk
You do you...whatever floats your boat. But, my guess is you weren't around here to root for the Cats in 1989.

You see, despite good arguments to the contrary, and in the infinite "wisdom" of the NCAA, Kentucky was judged to be sending money in a nearly hermetically sealed envelope (that magically popped open at its California destination), and our basketball program came out of it with barely a pulse. It was really more like we were in hospice.

Enter Rick Pitino. Thanks to alum and former UK basketball player (then AD) C.M. Newton, he was chosen to lead our team. In miraculous fashion, with loyal player holdovers not afraid of sanctions, UK went 14-14 that first year. It was all uphill after that. I'll save you all the amazing details of his tenure, but it was arguably the most exciting period of any in Kentucky basketball, as Rick not only steadied the ship, with plenty of accolades coming from Cawood to the fans to national media, he quickly restored our shambles of a program back to national prominence and preeminence. We were back with a vengeance...back to being the Gold Standard.

Of all its brilliance under Rick Pitino's direction, I can safely assert that, had first-team All-American Derek Anderson not gotten hurt for the 96-97 season, we would have easily won that 1997 championship over Arizona...a second straight championship.

What Rick Pitino did had lasting positive affects today. His record at Kentucky was truly astonishing--our program was saved and we today continue to be the finest program in college basketball history largely due to his efforts to save us. There is a very good reason why Rick Pitino is pictured in the Memorial Coliseum lobby alongside all other great Kentucky coaches as the leaders of our great legacy.

So, you go ahead and do what you have to do to live with yourself. It greatly hurt us that he left when he was on the precipice of forming a Wooden-like coaching dynasty (he was that good!). It was, in my view, bad form to go to arch-rival Louisville. But, he deserves no boos from a true Kentucky fan; on the contrary, every Kentucky fan should know exactly how great it was for him to resurrect our program from near-death to winning nearly two straight championships.

...a week from today. I have a very good friend that is a huge West Virginia fan and we are going to the West Virginia and St. John's game. It's been a while since I got a chance to boo Rick Pitino. While I know West Virginia ain't what they used to be, I also know St. John's isn't exactly a world beater this year either.

Them West Virginia fans can get rowdy from time to time, and I am absolutely not above encouraging them to do so. hehe

Any suggestions for chants I could help start?
Grab a beer with Huggins and high five him for giving us Oscar and Mitchell.

Pitino isn't UL's coach anymore, so why the hate?

The guy openly admitted he made a mistake leaving UK, WHILE HE WAS AT UL.....our fan base would burn someones house down if our coach said that.

He set UL back 10 years and embarrassed them.

He won us a title and gave us possible the best UK team in our life.

Go support him. He's a UK legend, and he's old and wont be coaching much longer.

You do you...whatever floats your boat. But, my guess is you weren't around here to root for the Cats in 1989.

You see, despite good arguments to the contrary, and in the infinite "wisdom" of the NCAA, Kentucky was judged to be sending money in a nearly hermetically sealed envelope (that magically popped open at its California destination), and our basketball program came out of it with barely a pulse. It was really more like we were in hospice.

Enter Rick Pitino. Thanks to alum and former UK basketball player (then AD) C.M. Newton, he was chosen to lead our team. In miraculous fashion, with loyal player holdovers not afraid of sanctions, UK went 14-14 that first year. It was all uphill after that. I'll save you all the amazing details of his tenure, but it was arguably the most exciting period of any in Kentucky basketball, as Rick not only steadied the ship, with plenty of accolades coming from Cawood to the fans to national media, he quickly restored our shambles of a program back to national prominence and preeminence. We were back with a vengeance...back to being the Gold Standard.

Of all its brilliance under Rick Pitino's direction, I can safely assert that, had first-team All-American Derek Anderson not gotten hurt for the 96-97 season, we would have easily won that 1997 championship over Arizona...a second straight championship.

What Rick Pitino did had lasting positive affects today. His record at Kentucky was truly astonishing--our program was saved and we today continue to be the finest program in college basketball history largely due to his efforts to save us. There is a very good reason why Rick Pitino is pictured in the Memorial Coliseum lobby alongside all other great Kentucky coaches as the leaders of our great legacy.

So, you go ahead and do what you have to do to live with yourself. It greatly hurt us that he left when he was on the precipice of forming a Wooden-like coaching dynasty (he was that good!). It was, in my view, bad form to go to arch-rival Louisville. But, he deserves no boos from a true Kentucky fan; on the contrary, every Kentucky fan should know exactly how great it was for him to resurrect our program from near-death to winning nearly two straight championships.
Back when I was in elementary school we had something called the Joe B. Hall Easter Seals Shoot-out. You had about a month to collect sponsorship (basically money) and it was all for charity. You would ask people to sponsor you a certain amount of money per basket in 2 minutes. I did it every year. I think I got 9 baskets in 2nd grade. I sucked. Anyway, after a while, it became the Eddie Sutton Easter Seals Shoot-out. I was much better then. I even got the basketball you could win for getting $100 in donation money. LOL

I remember Rick Pitino very well. I even met him a couple times. I watched his first (tape delayed, I believe...hehe) and last game here. Hell, I even attended the Boston Celtics versus Dallas Mavericks exhibition in Rupp Arena. You are mistaken, my friend. :)

Last edited:
Pitino isn't UL's coach anymore, so why the hate?

The guy openly admitted he made a mistake leaving UK, WHILE HE WAS AT UL.....our fan base would burn someones house down if our coach said that.

He set UL back 10 years and embarrassed them.

He won us a title and gave us possible the best UK team in our life.

Go support him. He's a UK legend, and he's old and wont be coaching much longer.
As I have said many times, I have no hate for Coach Pitino. I have nothing but love for the years 1989-1997. They were fun times. However, as I have also said, you don't have to tell me f you more than once before I believe you and he did it a couple three times. And that's fine. I don't hate him. However, he made his choice. I just like to root against him. :)

Great post

Win or lose, there was never any doubt about how RP's teams were going to play the game. He was also extremely good at getting the very best out of players. Nazr was a 315-pound project coming into Kentucky, but he was given a chance. He made the best out of his opportunity and at the end he left destination NBA where he had a good career. He was also able to use sharp shooters who weren't very good at man defense.

Yes, RP has been a real butt since leaving UK, but he was certainly Kentucky's lifeline when needed the most. RP was exactly what UK needed at the time, so much so that I don't think anyone else could have pulled it off.

Last edited:

If we want to guarantee titles without injuries have to add 2014 with wcs and 2015 with poy.

Don't forget about bowies issues in the 80s and Casey before that.

A wooden like run is laughable in the modern era though. Sorry not sorry.

Injuries happen sadly.

As I have said many times, I have no hate for Coach Pitino. I have nothing but love for the years 1989-1997. They were fun times. However, as I have also said, you don't have to tell me f you more than once before I believe you and he did it a couple three times. And that's fine. I don't hate him. However, he made his choice. I just like to root against him. :)
Are you referring to the bird flip?? lol..
I was at that game, and you heard what was being screamed at him the entire game, you wouldn't blame him. There was 3 hecklers that didnt even watch basketball, they just tormented him the WHOLE game. They were dying for a reaction, so they got one....and now some wanna play the "poor little me" card and say he isn't classy. Gimmie a break

I despised Pitino at UL, but now that its over......let it go. He gave us a lot of good times.

AMEN ! Well said. i go back to the Rupp area and Rick was and is a great X&O coach. We hall have made some mistakes in our life and he made is by leaving UK.

A GREAT post, Blue Max ! I couldn't agree with you more !
And from what I know about the players and the style of play that finally won the 1998 NCAA Championship, it was Pitino's work that brought that Championship, even if Tubby did get to hold the trophy !

Back when I was in elementary school we had something called the Joe B. Hall Easter Seals Shoot-out. You had about a month to collect sponsorship (basically money) and it was all for charity. You would ask people to sponsor you a certain amount of money per basket in 2 minutes. I did it every year. I think I got 9 baskets in 2nd grade. I sucked. Anyway, after a while, it became the Eddie Sutton Easter Seals Shoot-out. I was much better then. I even got the basketball you could win for getting $100 in donation money. LOL

I remember Rick Pitino very well. I even met him a couple times. I watched his first (tape delayed, I believe...hehe) and last game here. Hell, I even attended the Boston Celtics versus Dallas Mavericks exhibition in Rupp Arena. You are mistaken, my friend. :)
Oh wow! I remember those Easter Seals drives. Man! You brought back a memory long forgotten. Good post sir.

Reactions: Shadow1671
Get a pepperoni roll! Available everywhere throughout the state.
You are not the first person to tell me this. I appreciate the advice, and if I ever mention traveling again and you have some insider knowledge, please feel free to share it.
:)

Reactions: BillVol
I feel sorry that the OP is going to be around West Virginia fans. What a bunch of jerks.
It's more for the experience and for the hanging out with my West Virginia buddy than anything. I doubt the crowd will be as rowdy as it was when they wanted to basically murder Buzz Williams when he two-stepped on the logo on his way to the post game interview, but ever since I saw how crazy them sumbitches can be, I always wanted to go to a game there. If I am being honest, I am a redneck at heart. LOL

Are you referring to the bird flip?? lol..
I was at that game, and you heard what was being screamed at him the entire game, you wouldn't blame him. There was 3 hecklers that didnt even watch basketball, they just tormented him the WHOLE game. They were dying for a reaction, so they got one....and now some wanna play the "poor little me" card and say he isn't classy. Gimmie a break

I despised Pitino at UL, but now that its over......let it go. He gave us a lot of good times.
I mean, that did play a part, but I was also referencing the fact that he went there in the first place. There was also the "when Louisville fans lose they go home and when Kentucky fans lose they go out to the hills and shout" (or cry or something. I don't remember the exact quote). Then there was the, "If I were hiring the next UK Coach, I would hire either Travis Ford or John Pelphrey." That was silly and was grandstanding. There were also some rumors along the way about transcripts being leaked to the media to try to get players we were recruiting ineligible.

Again, nothing serious. I don't hate the guy. I understand what he was doing and I understand why. I'm not mad or angry. I have no vendetta. Sports are supposed to be fun. I have chosen him to be a rival coach that I choose to have fun rooting against. Nothing more. This will be fun.

As far as real life stuff goes, I wish him the best. I hope he does well. Hell, I even think it would be fun to meet him in the national championship game some time. And beat him. [laughing]

Last edited:
Reactions: Louis_Skunt
Upon further review, apparently that exhibition game I remember was actually the NJ Nets versus the Celtics. I would have sworn it was the Mavericks. The whole Mashburn connection. hmmm. Like I have said, I often go from memory here. I will own mistakes. Apparently, I made one with that comment.

My wife is a big WVU fan (I'm in WV) and I went to school at St Johns.

I'm tempted to make the trip and go to that as well lol

The basketball was my holy grail. Did you ever get anything after it? :)
I don't recall to be honest. It's been so long ago. I'm gonna say I didn't because if I would've won the basketball, knowing me I'd still have it. I haven't thought about that in God knows how long. I miss those simpler days.

Reactions: Shadow1671
AMEN ! Well said. i go back to the Rupp area and Rick was and is a great X&O coach. We hall have made some mistakes in our life and he made is by leaving UK.
No he’s not. Pitino was never about X&O coaching.

He’s probably better now?

Pitino had his strengths here. But diagramming plays was not one.

• Haha
Reactions: westerncat

Exactly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT