ADVERTISEMENT

if your worried about this year dont be

While you never know with a team who has never played together, the ingredients are there to make some noise. My only real question is if Pope's defensive coaching is up to the level we want. He's got the dudes for it.

I'm not concerned on offense at all.
The last defensive coach we had sucked so the bar is very low by that standard

I feel better that Robinson committed. The SEC is gong to be brutal this year and none of these guys have ever played together, so that's a problem. We'll see what Pope can do coaching wise right out of the gate.
This is a valid argument. However, it’s noice to already have our roster basically set before the end of May. They have plenty of time to get acclimated and get a good feel being on the court together. Not to mention, we have SIX super seniors and a regular senior. That’s absurd.

With Cal, we didn’t have but maybe a handful or less of players on the roster at this point in the offseason. Was also hard to recruit the portal that way, not knowing how many slots you had to fill. Of course, we were always so damn young and very top heavy on young players. I’m so damn glad he’s gone!

May have seemed more common with Cal, but as far as not happening against other coaches…the Crispin brothers say hello

I think the reason it seems more common under Cal is there were no defensive adjustments when it was occurring.

With previous coaches, changing defenses was an option to get an opposing player out of rhythm, but that strategy disappeared circa 2009
Damn, this grinds my gears so badly! Used to make me infuriated watching games.

• Love
Reactions: kywildcat41086
To be honest. I predict that Pope as the SEC Coach of the Year and depending on how our talented team performs, even possibly National Coach of the Year. One other off the cuff prediction, I don’t think we will ever be concerned about Pope going to the NBA and most, if not all other college programs. I believe he is a Kentucky man. I just hope his enthusiasm and passion for our team and program never gets dull and lack-luster such as with our last coach.
Mark Pope, He gets it.

When you have all the experience Kentucky will have and you practice everyday with a fresh approach, positive energy, it will be easy to come together. None of them have ever been on a stage like this, they all do more than one thing well. They will have plenty of time to mesh, they have the necessary pieces to be a very good solid team.

What I'm worried about is Literacy of the average American. Apparently it's in the toilet. And shame on all of you for not correcting it to an extent this guy changes his thread title. Poo poo on you.

It's going to be a really fun and refreshing year of basketball.
I predict 0 losses at Rupp Arena this year.
That will be hard to do but Pope understands.
Pope has a good record indeed as a player at Rupp Arena.
I’m sure he wants to continue that as a coach in that same building.

For what it's worth, I'm more concerned about the grammar in the thread title.

I am excited to watch this team play this year. We will definitely lose some games but they will be fun to watch. Pope will succeed. He just needs some time to cook. If we start losing a bunch of games. The CCC support group will be in full crazy mode.
And the entitled fans too.

What I'm worried about is Literacy of the average American. Apparently it's in the toilet. And shame on all of you for not correcting it to an extent this guy changes his thread title. Poo poo on you.
Ya I'm so illiterate it seemed everyone understands what I typed and no I'm not gonna change the title. My man be positive everything I read from you is just bad. Mr butts dad do you know we have a great up and coming coach with 9 players who are battle tested and ready to go that have played over 800 college game with over 500 starts. Let's see oh ya we have what 7 players that are legit D1 proven double figure scorers 8 if you count Butler(9.3). 3 defensive studs with a bunch a really good shooters etc. let's talk about that instead of trying to insult somebody.

Did they say that was the standard?
On KsR they’ve said multiple times “I’d be happy winning one game in March.” Combined with the contract extension trigger set to Sweet 16s. Everyone is slowly trying to lower standards.

To be honest. I predict that Pope as the SEC Coach of the Year and depending on how our talented team performs, even possibly National Coach of the Year. One other off the cuff prediction, I don’t think we will ever be concerned about Pope going to the NBA and most, if not all other college programs. I believe he is a Kentucky man. I just hope his enthusiasm and passion for our team and program never gets dull and lack-luster such as with our last coach.

Give me 10 solid years with 2 banners and he will be 61. That will give him a couple years left to chase the NBA dream and he should. Hopefully the NBA does pursue him because that means he did well at UK. I hope he goes and wins an NBA title with his former UK players.

Crush Rick and Cal’s resume at both stops.

On KsR they’ve said multiple times “I’d be happy winning one game in March.” Combined with the contract extension trigger set to Sweet 16s. Everyone is slowly trying to lower standards.

Cal spent the last two thirds of his time here lowering the standards. It takes time to build them back. Also standards is different than the standard.

Also, KSR is not the poster you quoted.

Cal spent the last two thirds of his time here lowering the standards. It takes time to build them back. Also standards is different than the standard.

Also, KSR is not the poster you quoted.
Cal lowered the standards so you follow that up with lowering the standards even lower for the new guy? I don't get this. When did UK basketball turn into ''just get into the tourney''. Or how about ''win the one game in March''. Cal sucked. We have a new coach. Let's reset the expectations until he has proven he can't do them. Then we can start doing what we did with Cal and say ''just win a game in March''.

Ya I'm so illiterate it seemed everyone understands what I typed and no I'm not gonna change the title. My man be positive everything I read from you is just bad. Mr butts dad do you know we have a great up and coming coach with 9 players who are battle tested and ready to go that have played over 800 college game with over 500 starts. Let's see oh ya we have what 7 players that are legit D1 proven double figure scorers 8 if you count Butler(9.3). 3 defensive studs with a bunch a really good shooters etc. let's talk about that instead of trying to insult somebody.
you are insulted by facts. Sounds like a 'you' problem.

Poo poo means dog poop on you. Didn’t you mean Pooh Pooh. Or did you mean dog poop on every one. Pooh Pooh. Shame on you if you did. Oh Pooh
I think you’re under water. Come up for air!

I am not worried one bit about this year's team. I think it's really going to be fun to watch them. I really think they will surprise us. I really feel that Pope has this under control and has showed it so far with the team he has assembled.

Cal lowered the standards so you follow that up with lowering the standards even lower for the new guy? I don't get this. When did UK basketball turn into ''just get into the tourney''. Or how about ''win the one game in March''. Cal sucked. We have a new coach. Let's reset the expectations until he has proven he can't do them. Then we can start doing what we did with Cal and say ''just win a game in March''.
But I never said the winning one game in March was my standard. You're making stuff up.

My standard is compete for championships. My expectation for this coming season is we'll be better than last year.

I agree, the standard should absolutely be winning championships but winning championships takes time. For Pope to not be a failure and to keep the support of Kentucky I believe improvement over Calipari should be the metric for the year. If Kentucky can win one game in March, Pope's first year, I would support giving him a second year.

Reactions: know1
I don't worry about him going to the NBA either. However, if he is successful (I think he will be) I could see him retiring after 10 years. I think he will pour his heart and soul into the program, and work his ass off. It will take a toll on him eventually.

Reactions: G-PIP
I don't worry about him going to the NBA either. However, if he is successful (I think he will be) I could see him retiring after 10 years. I think he will pour his heart and soul into the program, and work his ass off. It will take a toll on him eventually.
I think one thing Calipari said in the beginning of his tenure that was generally true is: UK is a 10-year job (even when things are going well) due to a few factors, not the least of which really comes from the unparalleled level of fan interest. At least I feel that way. Others obviously look at it differently; and also what is going on in years 9 & 10 would matter, of course. But I believe that if Pope is at UK for ten years, I'll be ok with a change, even while I still appreciate Pope.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phil_The_Music
you are insulted by facts. Sounds like a 'you' problem.
You have a smart mouth. When I was in the military, we always dealt with your ilk forcefully. The most popular method was a blanket party. Someone throws a blanket over the offender and the rest proceeded to inflict bodily harm on said offender. We found it to be a very effective mode of communication

You have a smart mouth. When I was in the military, we always dealt with your ilk forcefully. The most popular method was a blanket party. Someone throws a blanket over the offender and the rest proceeded to inflict bodily harm on said offender. We found it to be a very effective mode of communication
Need to put that dude on ignore my friend. He's not worth your time.

I did 22 years in the military butts dad...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT