ADVERTISEMENT

if your worried about this year dont be

zoid1

Senior
Mar 18, 2004
lets take a look at this new basketball roster and some things to make us fell good about it.

Lamont Butler SUPER senior- ncaa all-tourny, ncaa all-region, 22-23 all-mwc, 23-24 mwc dpoy(as a guard), 3x mwc all-defense. 131 games played with 102 starts. Hit game winning shot to take his mwc team to the national title game.
Kerr Kriisa SUPER senior- First triple-double at Arizona since Andre Igudailo(sp), key player on 2 very good arizona teams, 42% 3p at wvu last season.
Otega-tron Oweh Junior- 38% 3pt shooter last season, great defender oozing with strength and athletiscm.
Koby Brea SUPER senior- 2x A-10 6moy, 50% 3pt shooter last season, 44% career 3pt shooter.
Jaxson Robinson SUPER senior- 23-24 b12 6moy, 2 years in the SEC already and 2 years under Pope system.
Ansley Alomor senior- 2x all-nec, 23 all-nec tourney, 22-23 nec mip.
Andrew Carr SUPER senior- 22 all-caa tourney.
Amari Williams SUPER senior- 23-24 all-caa, 2x all-caa, caa all-def, 2x caa all-def, 23-24 caa dpoy, 2x caa dpoy.
Brandon Garrison soph- Mcdonalds AA.

Totals from the 9 upperclassmen and this doesnt include Chandler, Perry or Noah...

games played 845. games started 586. ppg 108.1. rpg 41.7. apg 20.1. spg 9.1. bpg 7.4.

Looks like a really good team to me with no glaring weaknesses.

Let's hope that it's a play defense, get steals/rebounds, and make shots from the paint with a mix of threes kind of team. Sometimes, Cals teams just would give up and lose focus...

without looking I’ll say it’s been 5 years since we have had a single player on roster with a NCAA tournament win or let alone, appearance. Experience matters but it doesn’t when you have a bunch of dudes that have never won in March.

We have multiple players on roster now with wins/appearances in the ncaa tournament. It takes guys who have been there and done that. And I feel really good about our team for this fact alone.

While you never know with a team who has never played together, the ingredients are there to make some noise. My only real question is if Pope's defensive coaching is up to the level we want. He's got the dudes for it.

I'm not concerned on offense at all.
I believe that the backcourt of Butler and Oweh will cause lots of problems defensively for opposing SEC guards

THAT is the first thing I want to see - Rupp arena being an almost impossible place to win instead of being a place where teams come to make memories that will last a lifetime.
I will be interested to see if the insane, fall away threes fall like they used to. Seemed like some podunk team or player would always have the game of their lives against us. I don’t remember that always being the case with Tubby or prior to Cal in general.

Only people still worried are the pathetic Arkansas and Tennessee losers here masquerading as UK fans. They stick out like sore thumbs since Jaxson committed.
It's going to be so much fun. Oppossing fans can't hate UK now and say it's because they think Cal is a cheater.

ALL hate now is nothing but pure jealousy and they know it. Expressing such hate wll now make them look bitter so they are aleady vanishing or sneaking around. lmao

Last edited:
Sorry grammer police but you get what im saying. Six 5th year seniors, another regular senior, junior and soph. Thats alot of experience and battle tested players we will have next season. On paper thats over 100 points scored per game, 40 rebounds, 20 assists, 9 blocks and 7 steals. Im personally very excited for the season. Anything we get out of Chandler, Perry, Noah, Riley or whoever the 13th warrior is will be a bonus. I think Pope will show out this year in his coaching and exceed our first year expectations if this team has any kind of chemistry and gells watch out.

I think it depends on when they played. On nights when Reed, Dilly and Reeves were all 3 on fire, we could beat anyone. Unfortunately that didn't happen often. And of course, if it was considered a big game, last year's team would definitely lose because Cal turns into coach Kline from waterboy when things get important.

I will be interested to see if the insane, fall away threes fall like they used to. Seemed like some podunk team or player would always have the game of their lives against us. I don’t remember that always being the case with Tubby or prior to Cal in general.

May have seemed more common with Cal, but as far as not happening against other coaches…the Crispin brothers say hello

I think the reason it seems more common under Cal is there were no defensive adjustments when it was occurring.

With previous coaches, changing defenses was an option to get an opposing player out of rhythm, but that strategy disappeared circa 2009

I feel better that Robinson committed. The SEC is gong to be brutal this year and none of these guys have ever played together, so that's a problem. We'll see what Pope can do coaching wise right out of the gate.
I agree. Robinson will know the SEC and tell the others. This will be his third team in the conference. He will have a lot he wants to prove. He’ll play extremely hard.

I feel better that Robinson committed. The SEC is gong to be brutal this year and none of these guys have ever played together, so that's a problem. We'll see what Pope can do coaching wise right out of the gate.
To be honest. I predict that Pope as the SEC Coach of the Year and depending on how our talented team performs, even possibly National Coach of the Year. One other off the cuff prediction, I don’t think we will ever be concerned about Pope going to the NBA and most, if not all other college programs. I believe he is a Kentucky man. I just hope his enthusiasm and passion for our team and program never gets dull and lack-luster such as with our last coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT