ADVERTISEMENT

if we won...

C*A*T*S

Freshman
Gold Member
Dec 11, 2009
Would it have been a good win? Or since we lost in OT, it's a bad loss?

Sports are an amazing thing….Had Dillingham’s 3 not lipped out at the end of regulation, UK wins the game and the vibe on this board is totally different. It lips out, we lose in OT and we get what we have.

A shot being an inch off changes things so much in the perception that some have about the game.

Sports are an amazing thing….Had Dillingham’s 3 not lipped out at the end of regulation, UK wins the game and the vibe on this board is totally different. It lips out, we lose in OT and we get what we have.

A shot being an inch off changes things so much in the perception that some have about the game.

Game has many more plays than that. I get what you're saying though. Every play dictates your destiny. Value the shit.

Reactions: STL_Cat
Game has many more plays than that. I get what you're saying though. Every play dictates your destiny. Value the shit.
Absolutely every play, but he makes that basket and people are talking about totally different things.

It reminds me when a coach takes a Cinderella team to the Sweet 16 and a program hires him based off that 1 win…and he fails. Truth is, that one win didn’t dictate how good of a coach he was. Just like that one shot that lipped out at regulation doesn’t determine how good of a team UK is.

Huh?

Any road win is a good win. A&m was 9-6 before today. Of course it was a bad loss. Good grief.
It would have been a quad 1 win. It's absolutely not a bad loss. It's a loss, and disappointing because we had the win within grasp, but it's not a bad loss by any means.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
It would have been a quad 1 win. It's absolutely not a bad loss. It's a loss, and disappointing because we had the win within grasp, but it's not a bad loss by any means.

It's bad because I want a 1 seed, and to win the SEC regular season. Game tied with 25 seconds left, you should be taking the last shot. Why did Dilly have the ball at the top of the key? I'll never understand it.

Yep. Zebras took 2 points from us, Edwards gave them 1 with a lane violation, burks somehow airballed an alleyoop dunk, and Edwards missed a bunny layin at the end of the first half. That’s 7 easy missed points just in the first half alone, not to mention shep missed a free throw so that’s 8.

It’s a bad loss. Every time you lose to a team you should easily handle, it’s a bad loss. It doesn’t matter if they’re quad 1, this team was 9-6 before they beat us.

Maybe losing to that team isn’t a bad loss for other teams, but it is if your in the top 25 (we were top 6) and it certainly is if your team has “Kentucky” across the chest.

Every time you lose to a team you should easily handle, it’s a bad loss.
Sure, but my point is A&M isn't a team that you should easily handle on the road. In no reality is that how tough road conference games work in modern college basketball. Just ask Kansas, Houston, Purdue, Tennessee, Houston again, or Arizona.

A&M was favored in this game. Never in history has a team been favored to lose a game against a team they should easily handle.

Well, some have been bitching about the defense for a while, but keep being told "we won the game, shut up"

Sure, but my point is A&M isn't a team that you should easily handle on the road. In no reality is that how tough road conference games work in modern college basketball. Just ask Kansas, Houston, Purdue, Tennessee, Houston again, or Arizona.

A&M was favored in this game. Never in history has a team been favored to lose a game against a team they should easily handle.
Most fans are focused on the major weakness of the team and that is defense. It is not that we lost. It is How we lost.

Most fans are focused on the major weakness of the team and that is defense. It is not that we lost. It is How we lost.
Then they should say that and stop just saying it's a bad loss to a team we should have easily beat. Because that just simply isn't the reality of the situation. No one thinks the defensive performance was acceptable. But people are acting like we lost to a straight up bad team.

Well, there are some agenda posters, which are a small percentage may be saying that. But most are panicked about how bad this team is defensively. It's not like that is something you can just switch on. We need to see improvement starting now.

Yep. Zebras took 2 points from us, Edwards gave them 1 with a lane violation, burks somehow airballed an alleyoop dunk, and Edwards missed a bunny layin at the end of the first half. That’s 7 easy missed points just in the first half alone, not to mention shep missed a free throw so that’s 8.
Don’t forget the goaltend that got removed when we had the ball under the basket.

• Angry

I was coming to make this point.

Some posters severely underestimate the importance of home court in conference play.

ESPN BPI gave us less than a 40% chance to win.
The Cats opened as underdogs in Vegas and the money poured in on aTm, yet we are supposed to “easily handle them.”

Make it make sense.

Along with another goaltend in the 2nd half that wasn’t called.

Just seemed kinda fishy today that A&M is known for rebounding and our tallest guy instantly gets fouls and sits 95% of the game. That heavily favors their strength. Coincidence?
Sorry Bradshaw was not going to help. He is so weak compared to A&M he was not going to make a difference at all. The small bit of time he was in they were pushing him around with ease.

The goaltend wasn’t called because it wasn’t a goal tend. I assume you are talking of the play Mitchell got blocked from behind.

Would it have been a good win? Or since we lost in OT, it's a bad loss?
I’ve never heard of a bad win so…..

“Like damn, that win was awful. Wish we didn’t get it!”

You can have ugly wins, close wins, lucky wins, but there’s no such thing as a bad win.

Then they should say that and stop just saying it's a bad loss to a team we should have easily beat. Because that just simply isn't the reality of the situation. No one thinks the defensive performance was acceptable. But people are acting like we lost to a straight up bad team.
Nuance is lost it seems. It’s not a bad loss, it’s a bad way we lost. And most people understand that. I’m not mad we lost. Conference losses happen. I’m mad we gave up so many god forsaken points to a mediocre offense. THATS what I’m mad and worried about.

Some posters severely underestimate the importance of home court in conference play.

The Cats opened as underdogs in Vegas and the money poured in on aTm, yet we are supposed to “easily handle them.”

Make it make sense.
At some point you have to win these games and win a good chunk of them to be elite. This was not an easy game but do you think Bama or UT or Auburn are the same or easier? No. We now can afford to lose any at home (including UT) and maybe one or two more on the road. If defense doesn’t improve we risk being a 6 to 7 loss team. And that smacks us right on that 4-7 line depending on how the committee wants to screw us.

You must think very lowly of your Kentucky program if you think we should compare ourselves to Houston, Purdue, Tennessee, Houston, or Zona or hold ourselves to a similar standard.

They were unranked, they were 9-6. This should have been an easy game for the #6 team in the country. I mean it’s either that or UK is overrated at #6.

If one of our rivals lost, while highly ranked, on the road to an unranked 9-6 conference opponent you would likely say (and rightfully so, imo) that said team is overrated.

I tend to think teams like Houston, Zona, UT, and KU most years are overrated and they usually prove me right in March. That’s why I don’t hold our program to their standard and neither should you.

Reactions: Bill Teaby

Make it make sense.
I think Vegas knows the importance of Thiero to this team.

All wins are good. All losses are bad.

But we are the same team after the game as before.

If we were one of the best teams in the country before the game, and I believe we are, we are still one of the best teams in the country.

It always sucks to lose. It’s not as life and death metaphorically as I get older, but it’s still a bad few days until we play again.

At some point you have to win these games and win a good chunk of them to be elite. This was not an easy game but do you think Bama or UT or Auburn are the same or easier? No. We now can afford to lose any at home (including UT) and maybe one or two more on the road. If defense doesn’t improve we risk being a 6 to 7 loss team. And that smacks us right on that 4-7 line depending on how the committee wants to screw us.
Historically, 6-7 losses equals a 2 seed

Sorry Bradshaw was not going to help. He is so weak compared to A&M he was not going to make a difference at all. The small bit of time he was in they were pushing him around with ease.

The goaltend wasn’t called because it wasn’t a goal tend. I assume you are talking of the play Mitchell got blocked from behind.
Debatable, but no doubt he was fouled. That was obvious. Probably misses the FTs, though.

I believe if we had lost and Cal had made some defensive adjustments, there would be a lot less bitching. However, that’s simply not the case. Therein lies the issue.

we'd be close to #1 in rankings with a win but here's the thing, we're more than likely gonna pickup a loss being #1 because it's every opponent's super bowl type game.

It would have been a great win. It's not a "bad" loss. It will go down as a Quad 1 loss.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT