ADVERTISEMENT

If U.K. lands Jones-will that put them Pre-season top Five?

kev69

All-American
Feb 26, 2007
My sweet Gizmo 2002-2018
My guess is it very well may.

I also think next years team will be a fun team to watch-because they will be a much better outside shooting team than last years.

They will get up and down the floor faster because Vargas can run and if they land Jones, he can run also....it should be another fun ride my friends

Originally posted by kev69:
My guess is it very well may.

I also think next years team will be a fun team to watch-because they will be a much better outside shooting team than last years.

They will get up and down the floor faster because Vargas can run and if they land Jones, he can run also....it should be another fun ride my friends

If they land Jones, I think the team will certainly be more balanced than last year, but it definitely want be as fast as last year.

We could possibly sneak in at 5. No way we are ranked higher than MSU, Duke, or Purdue. I think Kansas St. and Pitt might be hard to surpass as well. So realistically I'd say we could be as high as 5th and as low as 12th.

we could be...people who vote for these things seem to know jack. with jones we are a top 10, top 15 team. i dont see us in the top 5.

I'd say #6 or #7. We would have the talent to be top five, but I don't think anybody would put us there just because of what we lost.

I don't think so, and and would agree that UK should not be at this time. There are too many new faces. While the talent may be there, getting everyone to know and understand their role, learning a new system, learning the other players, and even getting acclimated to college life will take some time. Last year, the chemistry seemed to develop early, and the team focused on TEAM goals, not personal goals. I don't think we will have an idea of where this team may be going until January, at least.

Kev, in another thread you said you didn't know anything about Vargas and now all the sudden you think he can help make us a top 5 team? Which is it?
This post was edited on 5/16 4:43 PM by jayrizzo89

Originally posted by jayrizzo89:
Kev, in another thread you said you didn't know anything about Vargas and now all the sudden you think he can help make us a top 5 team? Which is it?
This thread is about Jones. What are you talking about?

And I think adding Jones would put us top 10, but probably not top 5.

I hope not. We don't need that group of players to have that much pressure put on them right out of the box. I would suspect the Top 3 to be:

Mich State
Purdue
Duke

I don't think there are too many teams with loads of talent or experience, so I'm guessing we would be Top 10 if we get Jones, but not Top 5.

Re: If U.K. lands Jones-will that put them Pre-season top Five? Reply

The Radar: Where amazing happens.

"They will get up and down the floor faster because Vargas can run" - kev69

Clearly he is saying that he thinks Vargas is a main piece to the puzzle of us being a top 5 team but early said that he knew nothing about him. Also the answer is no.

Re: If U.K. lands Jones-will that put them Pre-season top Five? Reply

The Radar: Where amazing happens.

"They will get up and down the floor faster because Vargas can run" - kev69

Clearly he is saying that he thinks Vargas is a main piece to the puzzle of us being a top 5 team but early said that he knew nothing about him. Also the answer is no.
I made that comment after I was informed what kind of player Vargas is.....you seem real infatuated with me for some reason. Just come out of the closet.

Oh boy play that card. The only reason I'm critical of your posts is because I am secretly in love with you or becasue I'm jealous of your overwhelming knowledge and inside info. Thats about as original as your threads. No you've started about 20 threads today with ambiguous and redundant topics most likely as a pathetic attempt to just get your post counts up so that you look like you are "in-the-know" to others. But whatever, its not really that important so ill just let you have you self gratification when you get to whatever post count you need to think you are accredited to something.

Media will rate us Top 10.

We will be obnoxiously young but very talented. It will be a down year (however a Cal down year is still a very good one) in which we will be right there to win the SEC and will compete for an Elite 8, at best.

Then we get ready for OUR year the next season. It will be fun to watch this team mold and use the DDM.

Originally posted by jalen_cooper2010:
I'd say #6 or #7. We would have the talent to be top five, but I don't think anybody would put us there just because of what we lost.
I agree. MSU, Duke,Purdue, KState and Kansas will be rated higher. UK will again have freshmen and we know that a Number One recruiting class without experienced players can get worked over in the Elite Eight.

Knight, Kanter, Jones and Lamb is ALMOST the quality of Cousins, Wall, Orton and Bledsoe. UK had Patterson for experience last year but this year Miller and Liggins have another year and Vargas is a junior. I believe we can make Final Four this year.

Cal is going to bring in two more players, so it depends on who we get in my opinion.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

even if we get Jones the we won't be preseason top 5

Kentucky doesn't get the love of a name brand like puke and crappylina

the nation as a whole does not like us........screw them

barely top 10 I would think

8 the highest

If I'm a voter, I wouldn't rank a team with almost all newcomers in the top 10. Just wouldn't do it. The thing that made it different last year was Patterson -- a pre-season All American and John Wall, the consensus #1 pick in the draft.

Given that we don't have ONE SINGLE returning player of national note, I would rank Kentucky in the 15-20 range, based solely on Cal's rep.

Of course, I think we'll be a top 10 team by year's end.

JMO

Originally posted by wailupebob:
Originally posted by jalen_cooper2010:
I agree. MSU, Duke,Purdue, KState and Kansas will be rated higher. UK will again have freshmen and we know that a Number One recruiting class without experienced players can get worked over in the Elite Eight.

Knight, Kanter, Jones and Lamb is ALMOST the quality of Cousins, Wall, Orton and Bledsoe. UK had Patterson for experience last year but this year Miller and Liggins have another year and Vargas is a junior. I believe we can make Final Four this year.

I never understand how someone can say "so and so has a shot at the final four" or "we are not final four material", and blah blah blah. (not saying you said this by the way) I am just saying this. If we are top 15-20 and we have the talent that Cal is bringing in we ALWAYS have a GOOD or REALLY GOOD shot at the final four. My point is the tourney is so much about match ups. Last year our freshman "got worked in the elite eight" as you say, but we were by FAR the most talented group left. If we were in Kansas bracket for instance I think we beat Butler and easily get to the title game. Does anyone truly believe that BUtler thought they would actually get to the final game last year? Or did anyone truly believe Mich. St would have made the final four when they were losing 5 out of 8 or 9 games to end the season? Well, I understand Izzo and he is great but honestly they were not one of the top 4 teams even in the sweet sixteen. Did anyone think TN would make the elite 8?? Of course not, but since they got some favorable matchups they made it farther than they ever had even though it was one of Pearl's worst teams in my opinion. So all I am saying is YES, we have a chance at the final four regardless, but I don't mean it like of course we have a chance because we are in the tourney. I mean it as though we are one of the top 15 teams for sure by the end of the year and this allows us to have a great shot.

If UK lands Jones they will have a chance to be as good as this past season. The big question is the lack of experience and how these players will mesh. If you remember, UK had some very close games early in the season last year to lackluster competition. They will take some lumps early in the season getting use to the system and playing with each other. I see a potential Final Four team with Jones if the players start hitting their stride mid way through the year. I think Darius Miller will become more aggressive and make plays when we need them. The kid has a lot of potential.

Originally posted by ~Keyser Soze~:
I think a Final Four is a real possibility.
A bunch of interesting posts in your "wayback" machine. Those were assuming that Kanter was going to be able to play. It seems each year, we get a refresher on why Calipari will choose talent over experience every time. One could assume that we were lucky to reach the final four without Kanter and with such an absolutely unfair seeding and placement in the NCAA Tournament but that would discount the talent and coaching at UK too much.

Originally posted by uk never falls:
With Jones, I think we'll make the Final Four with or without Kanter.

Let's just hope he can make most of his free throws in the Final Four.
3dgrin.gif

I know Duke, MSU, and Purdue are good, but I can see an injury or two setting them back. If they dont stay healthy, any of them could struggle. Im gonna say UConn is a team to look out for. Kemba Walker is due for a huge season. Also, we probably wont start the season top 5 with Jones but I think the final four is in the future for this team if someone off the bench, like Jorts can step up.

UConn will be the team to beat. Yeah that's right I said it...from unranked to champs in one season. To top it off they will be on probation when it happens.
smilie2.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT