ADVERTISEMENT

If Pope manages to win it all his 1st yr at UK

HerrosHeroes

All-American
Aug 16, 2018
That would put him right there with Joe B as the only player/coach at UK to win a championship at UK as a player and as a coach.

Difference is it took Hall about 5 yrs as a Coach to win one.

Pope winning it his 1st yr plus being a part of the Greatest College Basketball team of all time would make Pope an instant legend, not only in Ky but in the US as well.

To be fair, the title does say "IF"... we all agree that's a big if, but considering it doesn't say when, there are no expectations stated...so, for now, we can all just enjoy the thought since the team is currently undefeated and all early reports seem to indicate this team is focused on winning as a team above all else.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
To be fair, the title does say "IF"... we all agree that's a big if, but considering it doesn't say when, there are no expectations stated...so, for now, we can all just enjoy the thought since the team is currently undefeated and all early reports seem to indicate this team is focused on winning as a team above all else.

“IF” isn’t the problem. It’s the OP. Dude has rainbows coming out of his blown out, cursed holes.

🕳️

Reactions: St.PatterSoN-54-
If Pope wins two titles at any point at all in the next twelve years he will hands down be our second best coach after only Rupp. With no realistic room for argument. Funny that that’s all it should take after all this time. But that’s all it would take.

Reactions: storm1507
That would put him right there with Joe B as the only player/coach at UK to win a championship at UK as a player and as a coach.

Pope winning it his 1st yr plus being a part of the Greatest College Basketball team of all time would make Pope an instant legend, not only in Ky but in the US as well.
Joe B did not win a title as a player. He was playing for Sewanee when UK won the title.

Reactions: BlueBomb
Winning a title takes a lot of things including some luck along the way. I really feel as if this team is going to be very good, just maybe good enough to be a title contender.
Everyone else won’t be sleeping on this team by the new year.

I would seriously lower any possibility of that in his first season.

I would only lower it because there's simply too much randomness with the tournament. But watching us already have solid chemistry in the summer scrimage, and seeing Perry prove hs ability to shoot.. I see no reason why Pope can't put himself, and this team, in the top15 teams to win it this season (Granted, I want to see more of this team of course).

But assuming Pope is at least a solid coach, the only difference now and 5 years from now, is just learning the ropes of being UK's coach and having some more roster experience playing together.

Go away

I think BBN would be happy with a Sweet Sixteen finish and a 25ish win season.

In time, Pope will land premier freshmen in additional to elite transfers. He put together this entire roster in a few weeks, and managed to carve out a top 20 team. Plus, that process started later than many other programs nationally.

People overlook the fact that he gained a ton of experience in the portal, maybe more than any coach in the nation in a one-year span. Bringing in 12 guys from around the country put him in contact with hundreds of people, and dozens of other coaches and inner circles.

He's only going to get better every year in managing the portal. Plus, next year I think we'll have two or three incoming freshmen, in addition to 4 or 5 returners. He won't have to target as many portal guys (we might need 5 or so), and he can presumably spend more them than he did this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT