ADVERTISEMENT

If Oscar goes undrafted, can he return to Kentucky?

Anyone know what the rule is?
In 2018, NCAA proposed doing this if NBA CBA made the undrafted players ineligible to play in the NBA until the college season ended. Never happened.

NBA draft flexibility​

College basketball players who request an Undergraduate Advisory Committee evaluation, participate in the NBA combine and aren’t drafted can return to school as long as they notify their athletics director of their intent by 5 p.m. the Monday after the draft.

This change is effective if/when the NBA and NBPA make an expected rule change, which would make undrafted student-athletes who return to college after the draft ineligible for the NBA until the end of the next college basketball season.

I think if he doesn't take agent money he's allowed to, but here's the thing, I think Oscar has a 2 way deal guaranteed and Oscar needs a job to get a work visa and begin the process of becoming a citizen and moving his family to America.

It was even difficult to get him his NIL dollars due to his student visa. I want Oscar back too but it's a pipe dream.

I think if he doesn't take agent money he's allowed to, but here's the thing, I think Oscar has a 2 way deal guaranteed and Oscar needs a job to get a work visa and begin the process of becoming a citizen and moving his family to America.

It was even difficult to get him his NIL dollars due to his student visa. I want Oscar back too but it's a pipe dream.
No, he is not allowed to return.

Why would he want to come back to UK? To get yelled at by Cal and call him a liar? I wouldn’t come back either.

• Love
Reactions: ruppsrunt66
Too bad fax machines are pretty much a thing of the past.
Apparently you have not had to deal w/ an insurance company lately. Amazing they are still living in the 1990's!!!

Me: "can I just sign that in DocuSign, or if you don't do DocuSign I can print it then sign and scan it back in and email to you"

Insurance: "no, we don't email. You must print it, poke your finger and sign it in blood, then go find a kosher Notary who can do a DNA test to verify it is your blood, then have another Notary verify that Notary, put it in an envelope sealed with the Governor's official state stamp of approval, and placed in the mailbox pickup on North First Street by the Starbucks that is in an old Bank. Yeah, and we need to receive it by 5pm today."

Me: "WTF!!!"

Big no. He's off to his pro career. Needs to find the right team at the right time. He's potentially a Semi version of Rodman, except for defense. Only if he gets that right....

But if he does...he will find a home in the NBA and a long careeer.

Reactions: bevcat
If you don’t withdrawal by the draft deadline (already passed) you cannot return to college to play basketball ever. Even if undrafted. Not sure where these suggestions he could are coming from.

It’s meant to protect the university/scholarships and incoming players who were recruited from being told to kick rocks to make room too late in the process to find another reasonable “home” to play at.

You can declare, now with or without an NCAA approved agent, and return prior to that withdrawal deadline without consequence. But once the deadline is passed, your college eligibility ends.

Reactions: ala_kat2
If you don’t withdrawal by the draft deadline (already passed) you cannot return to college to play basketball ever. Even if undrafted. Not sure where these suggestions he could are coming from.

It’s meant to protect the university/scholarships and incoming players who were recruited from being told to kick rocks to make room too late in the process to find another reasonable “home” to play at.

You can declare, now with or without an NCAA approved agent, and return prior to that withdrawal deadline without consequence. But once the deadline is passed, your college eligibility ends.
Would be nice to have a 14th or 15th scholly that are reserved for undrafted. With NIL and xfer portal now, I don't see why they wouldn't allow it. Let the coach decide if they wanna hold a slot or not.

Would be nice to have a 14th or 15th scholly that are reserved for undrafted. With NIL and xfer portal now, I don't see why they wouldn't allow it. Let the coach decide if they wanna hold a slot or not.
That’d be a lot of kids who get buried and transfer out after a year of not playing. Seems to worsen what’s already a huge problem.

I think it’s more on the kid in the draft making an adult decision about their actual value and chance of making it as a pro when deciding to come back or not. Not just saying “I’m ready to be done with school and gamble on myself”.

Some kids need to realize that their lives are better off getting a degree and playing high level basketball in college for maybe less NIL money an extra year or two than blitzing for the NBA/g league to make a couple hundred thousand dollars before getting drafted over because their talent never manifested.

Look at a guy like Josh Selby at Ku or Skal Labbisier for you guys. They needed to evaluate themselves a bit better for their long term future instead of “I’m supposed to be a pro because people ranked me high”

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Apparently you have not had to deal w/ an insurance company lately. Amazing they are still living in the 1990's!!!

Me: "can I just sign that in DocuSign, or if you don't do DocuSign I can print it then sign and scan it back in and email to you"

Insurance: "no, we don't email. You must print it, poke your finger and sign it in blood, then go find a kosher Notary who can do a DNA test to verify it is your blood, then have another Notary verify that Notary, put it in an envelope sealed with the Governor's official state stamp of approval, and placed in the mailbox pickup on North First Street by the Starbucks that is in an old Bank. Yeah, and we need to receive it by 5pm today."

Or the Federal Government.

"Email is insecure, so use fax"

Me: "You realize how easily a fax can be hacked right?"

Email is not greatly secure but goodness it's ridiculous how much some of our institutions depend on ancient tech.

I don’t know why the NCAA doesn’t change this rule. Is it really such a big deal?
The NCAA wants to change the rule. However, the NBA has to change the CBA to agree not to sign an undrafted player until the next college basketball season ends.

Imagine if Kentucky has Oscar come back after going undrafted and in February a team signs him and leaves for the NBA.

Pretty much, my wife needed a government ID to gain additional clearance for her job. Well she works at home and her boss is in Michigan. Trying to get that paperwork to the verification people was exactly how you just described that.

There is a reason there is a deadline for pulling your name out of the draft or leaving it in.

A lot of y’all need to move into 2023 and out of 2004. Oscar can return and play for UK if he goes undrafted as long as he fires any agent he’s hired and ends any agreement.

I remembered this starting a couple years ago and I’m pretty positive there’s already been a player to do this.

A lot of y’all need to move into 2023 and out of 2004. Oscar can return and play for UK if he goes undrafted as long as he fires any agent he’s hired and ends any agreement.

I remembered this starting a couple years ago and I’m pretty positive there’s already been a player to do this.

Nope, that article is incorrect. The NCAA proposed the rule that undrafted players could return pending NBA CBA not allowing the signing of players until after the next college basketball season. The NBA said no thanks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT