ADVERTISEMENT

If message boards existed during the end of Rupp’s tenure . . .

Rupp won the SEC every year of his last 5 seasons.
I know less teams were in the tournament but he had 3 elite 8’s and 2 sweet 16’s his last 5 seasons.

Cal’s present 5 year run is the worst 5 year run in KY basketball history and don’t think it will ever be matched unless he’s allowed to stay 5 more years.

Rupp was 70. In the last years everyone knew he was past his prime. Everyone felt he needed to retire but most everyone I knew just felt conflicted and sad. Hard to watch a walking, talking legend diminish. Wanting him to be what he was but seeing he was done. He was a great coach and became an old coach why would anyone trash him.

Reactions: bluecoon1 and UKUGA
Rupp was 70. In the last years everyone knew he was past his prime. Everyone felt he needed to retire but most everyone I knew just felt conflicted and sad. Hard to watch a walking, talking legend diminish. Wanting him to be what he was but seeing he was done. He was a great coach and became an old coach why would anyone trash him.

I’ve yet to read anyone trash him in this thread.

Reactions: bluecoon1
After 4 titles I think you can coach somewhere as long as you want and fans would just have to accept it.

And if Cal had finished the job just one more time in his tenure I don’t think fans would be this disgruntled.

Is this a thread to say you are a John Calipari fan and not a UK fan?

After 4 titles I think you can coach somewhere as long as you want and fans would just have to accept it.

And if Cal had finished the job just one more time in his tenure I don’t think fans would be this disgruntled.

Is this a thread to say you are a John Calipari fan and not a UK fan?

Weird take.

I don’t like Calipari, at all.

Seems to be a lot of hungover and disgruntled posters this AM.

There's no comparison. When you have multiple titles, you can do whatever you want. If Cal had 2 or 3? This wouldn't suck so bad.

That's why the K comparisons are stupid. Yes, K had some bad early losses in the NCAAT. He also had 4/5 titles (depending on when it happened) to salve those losses. Cal has 1. Just ONE. And at a Blue Blood, and one of THE best blue bloods, that's not gonna fly.

Weird take.

I don’t like Calipari, at all.

Seems to be a lot of hungover and disgruntled posters this AM.

Just don’t understand the thread. Rupp built the program and is on 4 titles. What is this thread meant to do?

Suggest that Rupp’s last 5 years are comparable to Cal’s l?

Think the internet would have ate him alive for his last 5 years?

I just don’t understand the point of the thread is all.

Honestly, I could see some of the more "devoted" fans calling him "The Bloated Baron" to be perfectly honest. It's meaner than Can't Coach Cal or Ten Loss Tubby, but that is how some in the fan base are. At the same time, considering all he did, most would be quite respectful, but message boards do tend to bring out the lunatic fringe.

Reactions: UKUGA
Just don’t understand the thread. Rupp built the program and is on 4 titles. What is this thread meant to do?

Suggest that Rupp’s last 5 years are comparable to Cal’s l?

Think the internet would have ate him alive for his last 5 years?

I just don’t understand the point of the thread is all.

You can make a comparison, and it be a favorable one.

That’s really all you have to do.

What would his nickname have been.

The fact that every nickname is supposedly to trash someone may actually reveal a lot about the fans who support the program.

If you don’t understand a thread, you have the ability to glide on by.

I probably click on far less than 1% of threads posted on here.

Honestly, I could see some of the more "devoted" fans calling him "The Bloated Baron" to be perfectly honest. It's meaner than Can't Coach Cal or Ten Loss Tubby, but that is how some in the fan base are. At the same time, considering all he did, most would be quite respectful, but message boards do tend to bring out the lunatic fringe.

You bring up a good point.

People acting pious like no one would have been frustrated is silly.

But over time, people reasonably reflect on the good.

In the moment, not always.

Right now, we have a contingent who wants Pitino back.

Granted, Rick was never bad at UK, but c’mon!?!

What are some of his nicknames.

😀

i don’t recall hearing any derogatory nicknames for rupp.
i don’t think anyone could legitimitely be too critical of the man who literally built the uk basketball brand.
in his last five years rupp led ky to 3 e8 and 2 s16, winning the sec each of those years.
he could still coach but was in declining health and given his age it was time for him to hang it up

I wasn’t alive then, but my parents and late grandfather said the end of Rupp’s tenure was a little divisive and very sad. Some people couldn’t let go of past glory and others thought the times passed Rupp by.

But, he built the program and had the right to hold on. Cal, on the other hand, is just keeping the chair warm.

Reactions: UKUGA
You can make a comparison, and it be a favorable one.

That’s really all you have to do.

What would his nickname have been.

The fact that every nickname is supposedly to trash someone may actually reveal a lot about the fans who support the program.

If you don’t understand a thread, you have the ability to glide on by.

I probably click on far less than 1% of threads posted on here.

Why choose the last 5 years? I felt like looking at the title and your post it was meant to bash Rupp and his last 5 years as did other posters on this thread and have responded about the same. Maybe I am
Just annoyed with all the Cal first posters, and I’m sorry for putting you in that category.

I never knew a nickname is supposed to always trash someone. It seems like nicknames are meant for what you are remembered by.

So to answer your question:

I think the “Baron of the Bluegrass” would stay his nickname no matter what the last 5 years looked like. Or if he coached till he was 80 he would still be remembered for building the program.

Pitino will be remembered for 15 seconds/being a traitor
Tubby will always be ten loss tubby
Billy G will be a drunk
Cal will be known for his failures with the most talent since wooden

No idea the actual nicknames other than ten loss tubby and I have yet to see one that even makes sense to sum up the cal era

Why choose the last 5 years? I felt like looking at the title and your post it was meant to bash Rupp and his last 5 years as did other posters on this thread and have responded about the same. Maybe I am
Just annoyed with all the Cal first posters, and I’m sorry for putting you in that category.

I never knew a nickname is supposed to always trash someone. It seems like nicknames are meant for what you are remembered by.

So to answer your question:

I think the “Baron of the Bluegrass” would stay his nickname no matter what the last 5 years looked like. Or if he coached till he was 80 he would still be remembered for building the program.

Pitino will be remembered for 15 seconds/being a traitor
Tubby will always be ten loss tubby
Billy G will be a drunk
Cal will be known for his failures with the most talent since wooden

No idea the actual nicknames other than ten loss tubby and I have yet to see one that even makes sense to sum up the cal era

I didn’t mention 5 years.

It’s comical to see what people do with a question.

Reactions: blubo
I wasn’t alive then, but my parents and late grandfather said the end of Rupp’s tenure was a little divisive and very sad. Some people couldn’t let go of past glory and others thought the times passed Rupp by.

But, he built the program and had the right to hold on. Cal, on the other hand, is just keeping the chair warm.

Good post.

Thank you for reading, comprehending, and responding intelligently.

Reactions: MegaBlue05
THIS THREAD IS BASED ON FAULTY INFORMATION ABOUT RUPP
* UK won the SEC all 5 years

Coach Rupp's LAST 5 YEARS:
1968- 22-5 (15-3, 1st in SEC) Rank: 5th Final AP Poll
1969- 23-5 (16-2, 1st in SEC) Rank: 7th Final AP Poll
1970- 26-2 (17-1, 1st in SEC) Rank: 1st Final AP Poll
1971- 22-6 (16-2, 1st in SEC) Rank: 8th Final AP Poll
1972- 21-7 (14-4, 1st in SEC) Rank: 18th Final AP Poll

Do not forget: this was the heart of the run of UCLA (cheaters)

Reactions: blubo and Girthang
I didn’t mention 5 years.

It’s comical to see what people do with a question.

I thought that’s what the original post was and saw several other posters do the same thing. Not sure if it was changed or if I am just dumb. Certainly could be the latter. Seemed like stating the end of the tenure suggested that. Apparently you meant for the entire Rupp era but only the internet was invented towards the end.

Why would his nickname change whether there was internet or not?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT