ADVERTISEMENT

If its true Billy D Is interested

I'm hearing he still runs the same offense he did in 2007. He also will have to wait until his season is over and won't be bringing in players like a college coach. May be hard to build a roster his first year.

We need Nate Oats and I'm not buying the he's not interested stuff. He makes around 5 million a year. We could double that.

Oats could put together a final 4 roster and have us where we want to be next March.

I'm hearing he still runs the same offense he did in 2007. He also will have to wait until his season is over and won't be bringing in players like a college coach. May be hard to build a roster his first year.

We need Nate Oats and I'm not buying the he's not interested stuff. He makes around 5 million a year. We could double that.

Oats could put together a final 4 roster and have us where we want to be next March.
BILLY D for me

I have reservations about Donovan after being out of the college game for so long. But he was one that could recruit, build a program, and coach back when he was at Florida. The question just is, does he still have that?

And does he have any desire to get back in the college game?

I'm not really worried about him not having any players to bring with him. With the transfer portal, that can be easily remedied. Probably would be a slighter longer rebuild to get the program back up with him, but if he's the one that can do it, I think you give him time to do that.

From reading various things, it appears that it’s Mitch who isn’t interested instead of Oats

Reactions: Fox2monk and cal=8

Yes, but Oates has a big buy-out ... more than $15 million, as I recall.

I would be in favor of entering into a contract now with Billy D that calls for him to start work as soon as his NBA season is over. I would think he could get the Bulls' management to go along with that. Everybody knows that Billy D is a straight shooter and that he would never "lay down" on the Bulls job until he finished the season. If the Bulls make a run in the playoffs - that's the way the cookie crumbles. As for the rest of it ... as those of us who are not Sunshine Pumpers have said many times ... to a great extent, Kentucky basketball recruits for itself, so to speak. Stated otherwise ... lots of kids really want to play at Kentucky, and for kids like that, I think they would wait for contact from Billy D up into the summer, if he already had a contract in place with U.K., etc.

Just MHO, of course. Go 'Cats - thankfully, sans CCC !

Reactions: vernoncoy

He's been coaching in the league that many college offenses are now trying to emulate. It's not like he's been living on some remote island.

And why would we have to wait for his season to end. There are lots of examples in sports of coaches changing jobs late in the season, and an interim coach finishing the year. The Bulls aren't a contender (in 9th in East).

If we did bring in BD, I would expect about 3-4 returnees, 2-3 recruits stay committed, 1-2 new recruits, and 3-4 Portal guys.

Reactions: plumdog69 and cal=8
From reading various things, it appears that it’s Mitch who isn’t interested instead of Oats
Mitch isn't interested in writing Alabama a cheque for $18 M. Just for the right to sign Oats to a contract.

And bully for Mitch, that would be a disastrous use of millions in resources

He also will have to wait until his season is over....
The way everything has changed in sports and society in the last number of years I could see him resigning before the season is over. Don't think he would (has a higher character than that)...and I'm not advocating it....but these days it wouldn't surprise.
See coaches getting fired mid-season or earlier. Petrino quitting the Falcons mid-season to take the Arkansas job.

He's been coaching in the league that many college offenses are now trying to emulate. It's not like he's been living on some remote island.

And why would we have to wait for his season to end. There are lots of examples in sports of coaches changing jobs late in the season, and an interim coach finishing the year. The Bulls aren't a contender (in 9th in East).

If we did bring in BD, I would expect about 3-4 returnees, 2-3 recruits stay committed, 1-2 new recruits, and 3-4 Portal guys.
It would be rare for an NBA Coach to step down when his team is in the playoffs. Of course he could lose the play in game. If he could get in here and get to work right away, I'd be all in as a fan.

No matter how much Mitch likes Drew, if Billy Donovan is interested you hire him. He's the guy that regardless of how it works out, no one is ever going to fault you for hiring him.

Reactions: SemperFiCat
5 years 60 mil he is here. That's twice his current pay not even counting the AD money. He has Tues here , he k own the program an the weight of it. He or Hurley would unite the fan base n let's get this going agsin like it was 2011 again

He has been away from the college game for a long time. College basketball doesn't remotely resemble what it was when he was last a part of it. He is a bigger gamble than some think. UK tried to get him here twice before and he said no, why are things different now?
He never said no. He turned it down because his kids didn't want to change schools and move away from their friends.

He has always been interested in the UK job.

He has been away from the college game for a long time. College basketball doesn't remotely resemble what it was when he was last a part of it. He is a bigger gamble than some think. UK tried to get him here twice before and he said no, why are things different now?
Yeah, now it resembles the NBA, which happens to be where he's been the last few years 🙄

58 years old, been out of the college game a long time.

Proven winner though and maybe would want to cement his legacy with a title or two.

Definitely more exciting than the other option that it seems we’re pursuing.

Honestly it’s the right move for Billy at this point in his career. I don’t see him coaching in the NBA in 5 years, and that may not be by his choice. If he’s looking for a place to go and possibly retire comfortable, Kentucky is the place. I do worry about his drive to win, if that is why he’s coming, though. He’s got to want to win it all, every year.

Heard from a reliable source that Billy Ds wife has given her blessing and he is for sure entertaining the idea. He wants a five year deal and a guarantee that Mitch stays the whole time during his tenure. No new AD. There are other things he wants but money isn’t a driving factor. He just has to decide if he wants to get out of the NBA and the timeline is an issue.

Last edited:
Heard from a reliable source that Billy Ds wife has given her blessing and he is for sure entertaining the idea. He wants a five year deal and a guarantee that Mitch stays the whole time during his tenure. No new AD. There are other things he wants but money isn’t a driving factor. He just has to decide if he wants to get out of the NBA and the timeline is an issue.
If he really wants the job then it's his for the taking in my opinion. No need to drag it out, he knows what he's coming into.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT