ADVERTISEMENT

If It Is Time For A Change?...

sluggercatfan

All-American
Aug 17, 2004
And I believe it is...Those of you who follow this closely who would be your choice as the next head baseball coach at KENTUCKY?...I have not clue because I follow UK , but I don't follow college baseball in general that close

Here are 2 that I believe would be considered......Andy Green, former star at LCA, and at UK. Current manager of the Mobile Baybears in Class AA Southern league. Won a title in Class A with a Montana team in 2012, and won Southern League 1st and 2nd half titles in 2013. Still UK all time hits leader with 277, played 4 years for Keith Madison, and played for Arizona Diamondbacks and NY Mets.
Matt Bragga current Tennessee Tech coach, has been very successful at Tech, currently has a record of 36-13, Tech is flat out best hitting team in College Baseball, .316 avg. 68 home runs scored well over 400 runs in 49 games. Played a wild 15-13 game in Lexington a couple of weeks ago. Bragga is a 1994 UK grad, who batted .408 his last season at UK.
These 2 are UK alums, which I believe means a little extra, and either would do well IMO. They would both get a large bump in salary by being at UK, and coaching in the best conference in the country !

Originally posted by CloverforkCat:
Here are 2 that I believe would be considered......Andy Green, former star at LCA, and at UK. Current manager of the Mobile Baybears in Class AA Southern league. Won a title in Class A with a Montana team in 2012, and won Southern League 1st and 2nd half titles in 2013. Still UK all time hits leader with 277, played 4 years for Keith Madison, and played for Arizona Diamondbacks and NY Mets.
Matt Bragga current Tennessee Tech coach, has been very successful at Tech, currently has a record of 36-13, Tech is flat out best hitting team in College Baseball, .316 avg. 68 home runs scored well over 400 runs in 49 games. Played a wild 15-13 game in Lexington a couple of weeks ago. Bragga is a 1994 UK grad, who batted .408 his last season at UK.
These 2 are UK alums, which I believe means a little extra, and either would do well IMO. They would both get a large bump in salary by being at UK, and coaching in the best conference in the country !
CC, They both sound very interesting ... It is going to be interesting to see what happens over the next couple of years...They need to get this new bb facility built in a big way to give the next guy something to recruit to...It is totally amazing that even at Louisville that they are getting preferential treatment by the government and then we don't seem to have ANY big$$$$ donors, who want to grip and moan , but yet don't won't to do what is necessary to get things done...Who would have ever thought that to build a BASKETBALL FACILTIY AT THE UNIVERSITY would not just sail thru and be the best in the country....

Good points Slugger about the new stadium, that would do nothing but help. We probably have the least desirable stadium in the SEC, and doing for Baseball, what we just did for Softball, and are doing for Football, is only right.
As far as new HC canidates, I am sure there are others out there who could do a fine job as well. I just think having prior experience as the head honcho is an advantage when taking on a new job !

Originally posted by CloverforkCat:
Good points Slugger about the new stadium, that would do nothing but help. We probably have the least desirable stadium in the SEC, and doing for Baseball, what we just did for Softball, and are doing for Football, is only right.
As far as new HC canidates, I am sure there are others out there who could do a fine job as well. I just think having prior experience as the head honcho is an advantage when taking on a new job !
CC...I like both guys resume you laid out , but with Green I would worry about him knowing the recruiting angles of it...I just don't get the vibe with Henderson ...

I think the Tennessee Tech coach would be pretty outstanding The guy has done amazing things with Tech's baseball team and could do amazing things for us. One concern I have about him is that he doesn't seem to really excel as much with pitching. So, I would like to see him find an outstanding pitching coach. In the SEC everyone can hit so pitching is the key.

I also would love to have an alumni coach here. That usually means it is their last stop. Tons of teams currently have former players coaching them, and many of them are top programs because of it. Look at LSU, they just keep handing the keys down to former players and success continues. Cohen at MSU is another example. So, I think that would work well for us.

Not sure about Coach Green. College baseball is a lot different than professional and I am not sure why he'd leave the minors to come to college. So, I don't know if that one would be on the table. Plus, I too worry about the ability to recruit and see raw players who have the potential to become great. Then again, it might be good to have someone with a different perspective.

Before two years ago I would have thrown everything I had at Derek Johnson, former pitching coach for the Vanderbilt Commodores and 2 time winner of pitching coach of the year. However, the Cubs organization scooped him up and made him their minor league pitching coordinator so I doubt he goes anywhere. Scott Brown took his place and looks to be doing just as good so he could possibly be a candidate.

Now, I would consider Bragga from Tech, but would probably be all in on Scott Forbes. He is the pitching coach for North Carolina. UNC has done amazing in baseball recently. He has compiled great pitching staffs and he knows how to win. That is a pretty solid combination. My next pick might be Kevin McMullan from Virginia. Virginia has been a contender for years in a league that is arguably just as tough as the SEC. He is a big part of that.

One can only hope Mitch makes a call to Cookville Tn. after the season is over to talk to Matt Bragga the Tenn. Tech HC, and a 94' UK grad. He has done wonderful things with the Golden Eagles, and really teaches hitting and fielding very well. One might question whether or not he would bring in a good pitching coach, but could he really do worse than what we have now ? ....... I think not !!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT