ADVERTISEMENT

If it is Boise State OC.....

Plus asking the OL to stay in their stance for at least 10-15 seconds every play. That absolutely eats into endurance and performance in a completely wasteful way.

Not if you practice it every day.

I'm curious if ever, over the last 3 years, did our shift then motion create any sort of advantage? Motions? Yes. Shifts only? Yes. But we always shifted then motioned. It isn't a novel thing anymore, so defenses just adjusted. It was a waste

Same. I don't think it did give us an advantage because we wound up motioning so many times into the same basic formation for coverage. If they had used it for hot reads and quick slants it might have made a huge difference

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Coen made the call because McVey told him & everyone on the staff he was likely to retire to the tv booth after 2022 reg season
Then why didn’t his DC Raheem Morris (new Falcons head coach) get a different job?

Coen left the Rams because he wasn’t cutting it. UK media didn’t want to dig into it and knock our new coach because they’re all scared of pissing of Stoops. “It’s because he missed working with kids. It’s because he wanted to plant some roots.” He wasn’t getting it done there.

Then why didn’t his DC Raheem Morris (new Falcons head coach) get a different job?

Coen left the Rams because he wasn’t cutting it. UK media didn’t want to dig into it and knock our new coach because they’re all scared of pissing of Stoops. “It’s because he missed working with kids. It’s because he wanted to plant some roots.” He wasn’t getting it done there.

Agree that he wasn't getting it done there.

The rest is just silly, emotional speculation. There's no way or reason to "dig into it" and there was no reason to doubt Coen could get it done here after what we did in 2021. We learned otherwise, but no one thought he wouldn't succeed before the season started.

Agree that he wasn't getting it done there.

The rest is just silly, emotional speculation. There's no way or reason to "dig into it" and there was no reason to doubt Coen could get it done here after what we did in 2021. We learned otherwise, but no one thought he wouldn't succeed before the season started.
We probably agree. I was happy to have him back. I wish he would’ve stayed for 2024. I just don’t get the insistence from others that he just chose us over the Rams for whatever reason and then happened to leave us a year later. He just needed somewhere to go between stops.

Not if you practice it every day.

It definitely makes a difference. It's exhausting and cuts into your breathing. Is it a big deal? No but when you're at a talent disadvantage everything counts.

Coen left the Rams because he wasn’t cutting it. UK media didn’t want to dig into it and knock our new coach because they’re all scared of pissing of Stoops. “It’s because he missed working with kids. It’s because he wanted to plant some roots.” He wasn’t getting it done

Coen single handedly resurrected baker Mayfield's failed career on basically zero prep time. Now a year later baker is set to sign a huge deal and no doubt lobbied for coen.

I get the results weren't what we hoped but there is no denying his coaching talent

We probably agree. I was happy to have him back. I wish he would’ve stayed for 2024. I just don’t get the insistence from others that he just chose us over the Rams for whatever reason and then happened to leave us a year later. He just needed somewhere to go between stops.

I'm glad he's moved on. It wasn't going to work any better next year than this year with Liam calling the plays. We need faster play, quicker calls sent in, and to use more of the field and personnel. Coen just wasn't able to do it for whatever reason. I wish him well, but seeing him struggle with a pretty full cupboard was painful

Last edited:
It definitely makes a difference. It's exhausting and cuts into your breathing. Is it a big deal? No but when you're at a talent disadvantage everything counts.

It CREATES an advantage FOR the offensive team, ESPECIALLY when you're at a talent disadvantage.

Coen single handedly resurrected baker Mayfield's failed career on basically zero prep time. Now a year later baker is set to sign a huge deal and no doubt lobbied for coen.

I get the results weren't what we hoped but there is no denying his coaching talent

As a QB coach, sure. As a college play-caller, he struggled this year. No doubt about either thing, but THEY ARE two very different things.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
^^^^Exactly, nothing worse for an offense than freezing you OLine in their stance. They end up back in their heels with the DL leanin forward when that happens and we did it regularly. Have got to snap the ball early after taking the stance

My biggest like with this dude is how open receivers seem. I am so tired of us having absolutely noone open on half our pass plays. If we we have to dump off or miss a couple open dudes... I can live with that. But I'm just tired of throwing into coverage on almost every single pass play. LOL

^^^^Exactly, nothing worse for an offense than freezing you OLine in their stance. They end up back in their heels with the DL leanin forward when that happens and we did it regularly. Have got to snap the ball early after taking the stance

Spoken like someone else that played the position. Being in your stance that long eats into the OL for sure. Not a ton, but it definitely does some. The DL just wait till we do the worthless shift then get in their stance. So it doesn't effect them at all

Back to the OP question… “IF he’s the OC???”. That “IF” is still hanging around… Silence is not always golden.

Reactions: JPFisher
Can there legally be an official statement if the listing is still up?
Is the listing still up? I don’t know… but it could be that simple. He sounds like a solid OC choice but until he’s announced I’m going on with my day.

Reactions: JPFisher
I have a friend who is a HUGE BSU fan and he says that OC is excellent

Told me that he's great at keeping defenses off balance with innovative play calling

Thought I'd share....guess we'll see

When does the job posting expire?

Continuing with the FWIW, per a post on a Boise St board Hamdan is currently on vacation in Spain. The poster speculates that an announcement will not be made until Bush returns. I don't see this as a valid reason for holding up the announcement.

Last edited:
Reactions: CapitolHillCat
Spoken like someone else that played the position. Being in your stance that long eats into the OL for sure. Not a ton, but it definitely does some. The DL just wait till we do the worthless shift then get in their stance. So it doesn't effect them at all
Sorry Blue but I never played it, I was one of those soft baseball guys (outfielder even). Closest I came to contact was my own scratchin waiting for something to happen out there.

But you can just sense whats going on at the line and the energy level changes from the Oline to the Dline when they sit there bent over while the QB stares at this bench. Its just natural to lose rythm and energy and fall back while the defense senses the uncertainty in the offense and feeds off that getting up on their toes and diffing in to take off.

Tempo just works for an offense and you dont have to hurry up, but you do have to keep some tempo and rythm in getting plays off.

Is the listing still up? I don’t know… but it could be that simple. He sounds like a solid OC choice but until he’s announced I’m going on with my day.
I have no idea either. I just remember that there's always some discussion about a weird Kentucky law mandating a public job being listed for a certain number of days before a decision is made.

I'm not hung up on it either. At this point, I've kind of bottomed out on Kentucky sports for the year.

Reactions: robo222
My biggest like with this dude is how open receivers seem. I am so tired of us having absolutely noone open on half our pass plays. If we we have to dump off or miss a couple open dudes... I can live with that. But I'm just tired of throwing into coverage on almost every single pass play. LOL
Lots of that has been on the wide receivers coach . Our wideouts have been putrid at running their routes. Barion Brown has elite speed but after 2 years in the system still has trouble getting open and creating separation. Hopefully that is rectified. Our former recievers coach is coaching in high school now .

Lots of that has been on the wide receivers coach . Our wideouts have been putrid at running their routes. Barion Brown has elite speed but after 2 years in the system still has trouble getting open and creating separation. Hopefully that is rectified. Our former recievers coach is coaching in high school now .
I guess Liam could not get Woody a gig at TBay.

I've so far been able to watch 3 Boise State games with Hamdan calling the plays and I honestly like what I see. He is extremely well balanced offensively. We're talking dead on 50/50 run/pass. His offenses are very physical and he prefers downhill running. He also utilizes the TE well in the passing game and allows the QB to run when they have the opportunity. I think this offense would work quite well with UK's current personnel. It honestly looks a lot like what Eddie Gran ran here except with a competent passing game and less head scratching play calls.

I know some people were hoping for a big name like Tommy Rees. I liked Tommy Rees too and he was my favorite of all the potential choices. But Bush Hamdan isn't a bad choice by any means if he ends up being the guy. He seems like a smart guy and I think he will fit in just fine at UK. We all just need to remember that every "big name" out there was a nobody at some point, until they got their first big break at a P5 program.

I've so far been able to watch 3 Boise State games with Hamdan calling the plays and I honestly like what I see. He is extremely well balanced offensively. We're talking dead on 50/50 run/pass. His offenses are very physical and he prefers downhill running. He also utilizes the TE well in the passing game and allows the QB to run when they have the opportunity. I think this offense would work quite well with UK's current personnel. It honestly looks a lot like what Eddie Gran ran here except with a competent passing game and less head scratching play calls.

I know some people were hoping for a big name like Tommy Rees. I liked Tommy Rees too and he was my favorite of all the potential choices. But Bush Hamdan isn't a bad choice by any means if he ends up being the guy. He seems like a smart guy and I think he will fit in just fine at UK. We all just need to remember that every "big name" out there was a nobody at some point, until they got their first big break at a P5 program.
Gran had good, balanced, passing game at Cincinnati when he came here he never really had a good quarterback. And the problem was he had to be run heavy, and after that, they simply couldn’t recruit a quarterback or very good receivers.

Reactions: hmt5000
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT