ADVERTISEMENT

If Cal was to ever leave would Stevens from the Celtics be a candidate

Re: If Cal was to ever leave would Stephens from the Celtics be a candidate

Originally posted by 23jumpboy:
How would you rate him as a recruiter and Xs and Os?
He would be the best Xs and Os coach in the country bar none. Recruiting would remain to be seen. Would definitely need to make slam dunk assistant hires on that front.

this must be like the 500th post on who are next coach will be when Cal leaves. how about we will cross that bridge when it happens.

Surviving in the NBA is very different from surviving in College Basketball. Stevens would do well to leave because he is not in control of his own destiny.

Brad Stevens
Sean Miller
Greg Marshall

That's the list in no particular order if UK had to go coach hunting in the next year or two.

Brad Stevens is literally the best coach of basketball in America bar none. No one else could do what he has done with that Boston roster. They traded their 2 best players(Rondo and Green) and got better. He is making Evan Turner look like a legit pro. The Celtics fans and administration love him. He grew up loving Larry Bird and the Celtics and has his dream NBA job. If for any reason the Celtics got rid of him or he wanted out of Boston he'd have his selection of any NBA or college job in the country. We can only pray he'd even give us a look. The problem for us, IU, Duke, UNC, KU, or any other college job out there is it is well known among college and NBA people that Stevens loves basketball and enjoys having to only focus on basketball related stuff and not recruiting.

He took a pretty rough Celtics team to the 7th seed. They moved some talented pieces such as Rondo

Someone tweeted out the night they clinched that he is VERY highly thought of all over the NBA. If he doesn't make it with the Celtics, he'll have others lining up in the NBA.

If he comes back to the college game, sure. Kentucky will be an option. But, it looks like he's going to succeed, and potentially succeed big. Even if he doesn't at Boston. I can't imagine him leaving.

You evidently haven't heard that Stevens, even if he were on the verge of repeating as NBA champion, even if Lebron and Anthony Davis and Durant dropped everything to join him in Boston . . . even then, he's still holding out for the Indiana job. Because, you know, he's from Indiana, so he absolutely wants to coach there . . . right?

Can't see that happening. No reason to go back to college.

Likely top candidates would be;

Sean Miller
Gregg Marshall
Jay Wright
Fred Hoiberg
Bruce Pearl

Just a guess on best "available." Can't always be so sure we get our first pick, whoever that would be. Donovan turned us down twice.

I'm kinda surprised at the responses in this thread. The NBA is almost as bad as the NFL for the "what have you done for me lately?" mentality.

One year someone's the next big thing, the next they are chopped liver. It's true, what he's done in 2 seasons at Boston is impressive, but let's not crown him as Popovich just yet.

He's certainly not untouchable, 2 disappointing seasons can turn him into Scott Brooks in the eyes of the NBA.

Originally posted by Big Blue 1977:

You evidently haven't heard that Stevens, even if he were on the verge of repeating as NBA champion, even if Lebron and Anthony Davis and Durant dropped everything to join him in Boston . . . even then, he's still holding out for the Indiana job. Because, you know, he's from Indiana, so he absolutely wants to coach there . . . right?
Although you are implying sarcasm, you are right. He has stated that IU would be his dream job (prior to NBA) and also rumored that he has an IU out clause with Celtics (doubtful). Yet, born and raised in Indiana, indiana high school basketball star, college in Indiana, grew up an IU fan and idolizing Knight. UK would be an absolute stunner.

And Pat Riley was going to step in and put a stop to Tubby's final years, ditching the Heat and saving UK. Wait, Riley actually has some affiliation with UK, so that makes more sense than Stevens to IU. Regardless, I don't think a young, successful coach is itching to take on a has-been program with unreal expectations and garbage facilities.

A candidate? Yes, but not a major option. I dont think Stevens will come back to college for anything but the IU job (unless he fails in the NBA).

FWIW, I believe we will see Cal here for at least another 5 to 6 seasons (minimum). He spurned a major deal to coach the Cav's to come back here and I believe he's here to finish out his career, but in the spirit of what-if's, my guess is that the #1 target would be Sean Miller. He's proven he can win and recruit at a high level and he is probably the most qualified successor to maintain the kind of program we're used to here at UK now. Although he's establishing Arizona as a major program in college basketball again, I believe Miller would leave for one of the big 4 programs (UK, UNC, KU, dook). Second on the list would probably be someone like Gregg Marshall, only because Mitch Barnhart is enamored with him. That would be a mistake though in my book. The man has not proven he can recruit at the level required to win at UK. Tom Izzo was a candidate 6 years ago, but he would be too old and Donovan ain't getting any more chances to turn the job down (I bet he's kicking himself over those decisions now) . I think a dark horse third candidate would be Thad Matta. Despite the fact that most don't like the idea, he's a good recruiter and took an Ohio State program that was on probation and went 31-31 over Jim O'Brien's last two seasons and got them to the national title game in only three years (averaging a 27-8 record over 11 seasons in one of the toughest conferences in basketball).

ADVERTISEMENT