ADVERTISEMENT

If Cal could actually fix it, he would have

He’s a hack coach that has NEVER had success unless his team was just stacked with talent and could overwhelm the teams they played.

It’s gotten to the point now though that even when he’s stacked with talent, he’s such a half assed coach that his teams can’t do anything. Oakland was a coaching embarrassment. We looked shocked that they played a zone. We looked shocked that that Jack dude was firing 3’s from everywhere.

The entire country knew they’d play zone and that that kid would come out firing, except our team. The entire country knows you don’t start the game with 2 lottery picks on the bench, except our coach.

Oakland started the game 1/10. At the under 16 timeout the score was 4-3 and Reed and Rob hadn’t checked in yet. A normal coach with that talent would have had them down 12-2 and the game would have been over. I honestly knew we were in big trouble at that point.

For me, he had three years after 9-16 to get UK back to winning and a FF. 0 SEC regular season titles, 1 SECT win, and 1 NCAAT win with loses to a 15 and 14 seed; and a slew of some of the most embarrassing ooc loses.

What we’ve seen the last 4 seasons is what you’ll get with Cal going forward. The guy who came here in 09 is long gone. I might punch the next person who says “Cal needs to get back to his old ways.”

That alone should get him fired.
I agree. I said out loud at the under 16 ‘this is an absolute nightmare of a start’ because I knew they wouldn’t shoot that badly the entire game. We could and should have ended it immediately. Usually top seeds in the tournament lose because the other team is hot the whole game. Calipari found a way to lose to a 14 seed that started 1/10. It’s almost unbelievable and so embarrassing.

Bags are packed...

uHAHcRD.png

He’s a hack coach that has NEVER had success unless his team was just stacked with talent and could overwhelm the teams they played.

It’s gotten to the point now though that even when he’s stacked with talent, he’s such a half assed coach that his teams can’t do anything. Oakland was a coaching embarrassment. We looked shocked that they played a zone. We looked shocked that that Jack dude was firing 3’s from everywhere.

The entire country knew they’d play zone and that that kid would come out firing, except our team. The entire country knows you don’t start the game with 2 lottery picks on the bench, except our coach.

Oakland started the game 1/10. At the under 16 timeout the score was 4-3 and Reed and Rob hadn’t checked in yet. A normal coach with that talent would have had them down 12-2 and the game would have been over. I honestly knew we were in big trouble at that point.
I was at the NC game in 2012. His coaching was so horrible, I had to leave my seat and walk around the corridors for the last 5 minutes! If Kansas had 2 or 3 more minutes I'm convinced Cal would have choked and lost. I mean he literally almost lost with that roster!! I have not, and will never, get over the collapse with the once in a lifetime talent of the 2015 team. That SOB ruined the Easter weekend with my grandkids. I used to be in mourning for weeks after a UK NCAA loss. After the last few years, it has become expected. Please Lord, let him go away.

Last year was his last legitimate earned last chance and this year was one final eleventh hour emergency extra last chance just in case some combination of *his recruiting is really back* or *Oscar had really been screwing up Cal’s system* or *everything's finally going to be okay again now that he hired an offensive coordinator* was really true. None were true.

Don’t let your ridiculously unearned buyout hit you in the ass on your way out, Cal.

Last edited:
Cal, I thought, was given this year because he needed to get back to the type of team he says he does good with. Supporters were saying with all these NBA type players he will get back to the old Cal. But he didn't. The problem has never been his team but him. He is a average in game coach and especially with very important games on the line. He makes below average coaching decisions when he starts feeling pressure. And it bleeds over to his team causing them to under perform. There is no fixing that. Each year he stays pressure becomes greater.

In Cals mind there is nothing wrong. Guys are getting drafted. That is most important to him. That will not change.

This. He doesn't want to fix it.
It's actually even worse than that, he is NO LONGER capable of fixing it. He has tried doing different things, but it hasn't worked.

The crux of this is he has gotten FAT and LAZY!!!

The Cal from 15 years ago taught Jorts how to defend, yet he couldn't teach our current NBA talent to do the same??!!! We are losing to coaches that have WAAAAAAYYYY less talent than we have because our kids aren't being taught the game!!! When teams were scoring on out-of-bounds plays underneath the basket EVERY GAME, that was proof positive that Cal had SLACKED tremendously!!!

When a team of DII players can keep you from running your offense with a matchup Zone that Dale Brown used in the 70's and 80's that he called the "Amoeba Defense", it's just another example that Cal has QUIT!!!

Now he has reached a point where all of his BS has come back to bite him on the butt!! He put his reputation on the line with players that couldn't OVERCOME his own INEPTITUDE, like the kids he brought in the first 9 years did!!

He has been EXPOSED and has NO ANSWERS on how to fix it!!!

Last edited:
Something broke in his brain. I don't know if he let the job pressure get to him or what. But it really feels like once the going got tough, he started to create ways to not deliver results, so he could have excuses, and also to weirdly rub it in the fans face.

He was never a great X's and O's coach, but it's clear that's hes gotten worse in so many ways. Wrong lineups, no working on plays, fighting with fans, getting on some players too hard.. just a lot of things we didn't see in those first 6 years. Maybe it was just the talent we had and the fact that winning cures all. But it sure feels like a different coach. Something happened. Not sure if we will ever know what is it. Not sure I'd trust what Cal told us it was.

Something broke in his brain. I don't know if he let the job pressure get to him or what. But it really feels like once the going got tough, he started to create ways to not deliver results, so he could have excuses, and also to weirdly rub it in the fans face.

He was never a great X's and O's coach, but it's clear that's hes gotten worse in so many ways. Wrong lineups, no working on plays, fighting with fans, getting on some players too hard.. just a lot of things we didn't see in those first 6 years. Maybe it was just the talent we had and the fact that winning cures all. But it sure feels like a different coach. Something happened. Not sure if we will ever know what is it. Not sure I'd trust what Cal told us it was.
Joel Justice eluded to what happened. 2015 broke him, and 2017 finished him off. Throw in 2019, and I think the loss of Clarke made him go ''soft'' too.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
I asked in another thread: “What the hell do these highly paid assistants do?”
Welch had a measurable effect, but the others just sit on their hands watching the destruction. . Sickening.

Reactions: catben
He would fix it if he could, using his methods, and only his methods. he has proven he will not bend to trying anything other than the way he’s always done. he will continue to bring in elite 5** and to promise pt and be beholden to their handlers, that i’m convinced of, true or not.

Reactions: Lost In FL
He has ONE sales pitch and that is to the 5**** recruits. The NBA.

Now, Great college players may never make it to the league. NIL lets the older player (nonNBA) make money in college before he goes off to work the drive-thru at McDonalds.

So snake-oil Cal is selling to an audience that is not receptive to his pitch.

It is too late for him to recruit older players or to coax players to stay around.

Thankfully, in the next couple of days, we will be finished with seeing threads like this!

Cal is done, and no amount of mental gymnastics or blind faith hope is going to change that!

Any so called “fan” who is even remotely wanting Cal to return for another season, isn’t a real “fan” at all, and I’m just going to start blowing up the Ignore button, because I don’t have time for this nonsense.

Cal's teams aren't known for blowing people out. Cal isn't a bury you kind of coach.

That alone should get him fired.

If we had an any semblance of actual accountability in that ABSOLUTE FARCE of a contract, he'd be gone already. No bullsht meetings, no evals, just GONE. And I'd have gone to the airport to watch the plane depart for other pastures. Even brought a bouquet of flowers

He's gonna CONTINUE TO MILK every dime put of this program and state while giving nothing in return just like he has for 5 years now.

Last edited:

It's what narcissists do when they are exposed for the frauds they can be. When their reputations sink, those around them are the first to suffer, but they will take as many down with them as they can reach, and UK fans are everywhere trying to help this program. They are easy targets because they love the program so much. They'll enable him until we're worse off than UL and IU

Reactions: kywildcat41086

There was 6 minutes left in the first half before Reed or Rob took a fg attempt!!!😡😡

Cal, I thought, was given this year because he needed to get back to the type of team he says he does good with. Supporters were saying with all these NBA type players he will get back to the old Cal. But he didn't. The problem has never been his team but him. He is a average in game coach and especially with very important games on the line. He makes below average coaching decisions when he starts feeling pressure. And it bleeds over to his team causing them to under perform. There is no fixing that. Each year he stays pressure becomes greater.

Exactly. That look on ReedS' face during the game was all Cal. He was lost because he was put in the worst position by a "coach" who had ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE what he was doing. I don't know HOW anyone couldn't see that.

This game exposed him COMPLETELY as a coach. He has ZERO going for him right now. No BBall IQ, no strategic understanding, no adaptability, and zero ability to be honest with himself and others.

I'd feel sorry for him if he was taking it like a man and resigning. I'd have wished him the best of luck if he'd left on good terms instead of sticking it to the GREAT UK FANS that are more knowledgeable about this game than most fans are, and completely demolishing what had been built over generations.

I can't feel bad for the adult toddler that wants to take his ball and go home at the first tough question or critique. He has doubled down on bad choices consistently over the past 5+ years, and I've been tired of it. I was told by a buddy if mine that this was coming. Early in Cal's time here he stopped covering Cal's press conferences and told me the shine would wear off, and man has it ever dulled.

2012 Cal hit the lotto, and he's squandered those riches like so many before him. He didn't put all his chips in on draft night because that was his goal. He put them all in on that because he knows it had nothing to do with his coaching and it was a matter of time til he was found out.

Yup, it was exactly the start I thought would happen too. Then we never went on a run because we didn’t guard, and we didn’t run our offense or shoot 3’s at all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT