ADVERTISEMENT

If approached, would you kick into a UK FB NIL Deal? [Assume it creates a tax deduction for your firm, business, office.]

I am a UK Fellow so I have been contributing quite a bit of money to them over the years. But I want this football program to continue to improve and would be more than willing to pitch in.

UK football was in the pits for many, many decades and it feels nice going to quality bowls and beating the Gators and owning UL. So yes count me in.

No.
And here's why.
I've been paying for multiple tickets and parking pass for so many years, and I am just recently being rewarded with quality football. Being retired and on a fixed income puts limits on the checks I write. I believe the cost of NIL will eventually be handed off to the fans anyway, in the form of higher ticket prices and mandatory donations and increased concession prices.

No.
And here's why.
I've been paying for multiple tickets and parking pass for so many years, and I am just recently being rewarded with quality football. Being retired and on a fixed income puts limits on the checks I write. I believe the cost of NIL will eventually be handed off to the fans anyway, in the form of higher ticket prices and mandatory donations and increased concession prices.
NIL isn't a cost to the school to be passed on. It's not the school paying kids. It's just the ability for for the kids to get paid for commercials, appearances, clothing with them on it. Even when these schools are guaranteeing kids money to sign, it's all coming from boosters and businesses. I mean, that's what it's meant to be anyway.

1iham1.jpg

No (hell no, tbh)

First, if I am going to give a bunch of money to kids, it will be to my own or my grandkids, not some teenage football or basketball player I never met.

Better yet, I already give to charities and other worthy causes.

But, if some local business wants to sponsor a player, and hire him or her to be a spokesman or use in an advertisement, fine by me. But I know my firm would have zero interest in doing so. And many of us have season tickets in various UK sports. FWIW, I have not heard a single client discussing any interest in doing so either.

And if that means good old state U doesn't win as many football or basketball games, then so be it.

I detailed elsewhere a grassroots program started decades ago(actually in the 1930s) by Clemson to support their athletes. The program, still very much active, is called "IPTAY" which originally meant "I Pay Ten(dollars) A Year." That's probably $1K+/year now. Anyway, IPTAY currently has 18,000+ members who raised $40M for Clemson athletics in fiscal 2022. Something similar sounds like what some here are proposing.

NIL meets Kickstarter. Love the idea.

...would be a great vehicle for money laundering but not for me of course.

• Haha
Reactions: SosaUK87
No (hell no, tbh)

First, if I am going to give a bunch of money to kids, it will be to my own or my grandkids, not some teenage football or basketball player I never met.

But, if some local business wants to sponsor a player, and hire him or her to be a spokesman or use in an advertisement, fine by me. But I know my firm would have zero interest in doing so. And many of us have season tickets in various UK sports. FWIW, I have not heard a single client discussing any interest in doing so either.

And if that means good old state U doesn't win as many football or basketball games, then so be it.
Bingo....this is absurd that people that are regular folks and don't own businesses have $1000 laying around to give to some athlete they don't know in any way.....and you'd have to pony this up year after year as recruiting starts over every year.

If you own a business and an athlete can help you get more business....then by all means go for it. And for the schools that are affiliated with people who have loads of money to blow on this....good for that school. But to the boosters that plan on pushing millions to NIL deals (every year) and assuming they can just pass those costs along to their customers in high costs.....good luck with that business model. The economy/inflation is a huge deal to people's every day lives and if a car dealership, restaurant, lumber company, etc..thinks people are not going to shop their services for better rates with their competition....they'll be running out of money very quickly and out of NIL eventually.

In the end, for NIL to work at UK....Mitch and UK will have to take a shave on contributions to the university. And I'd argue that is where Mitch's hesistancy as much as it ever was his morals/ethics. He knows all the $$$ for every non revenue program, all the building money drives, etc.. will have to take a hit as the football and basketball revenues fund all of that stuff. He's going to have to just feed those 2 programs and redirect to fund some NIL stuff....that is probably his biggest pause in all of this.

Not a chance in hell.
It won't make one bit of difference, you still won't sign any kid from Texas, Bama, Georgia, Florida, Ohio, Cali, Lousiana that those state universities want.
Plus why give 1K then get bent out of shape over a kid bolting after a year or acting an ass and getting thrown off the team.

Reactions: ck-2
NIL isn't a cost to the school to be passed on. It's not the school paying kids. It's just the ability for for the kids to get paid for commercials, appearances, clothing with them on it. Even when these schools are guaranteeing kids money to sign, it's all coming from boosters and businesses. I mean, that's what it's meant to be anyway.
Would it be a violation for fans to collect money and give to athletes?

Would it be a violation for fans to collect money and give to athletes?
If defined as such, it could be easily fixed. Just print a calendar (advertising) with all the fans’ names/businesses listed, some pics of the players, and “sell” the calendars.

Reactions: JC CATS
I detailed elsewhere a grassroots program started decades ago(actually in the 1930s) by Clemson to support their athletes. The program, still very much active, is called "IPTAY" which originally meant "I Pay Ten(dollars) A Year." That's probably $1K+/year now. Anyway, IPTAY currently has 18,000+ members who raised $40M for Clemson athletics in fiscal 2022. Something similar sounds like what some here are proposing.
I used to work with a Clempson grad who said it stood for I Pay Ten Athletes Yearly...🤔

0 dollars to all sports, including football and basketball. 1. I cannot afford it thanks to inflation and high cost of living 2. It is not my job to pay players to come play at UK for something that is just a hobby and mindless entertainment to me.

IPTAY bumper stickers all over down here in Atlanta.

Reactions: mrschwump
I might be willing to donate to a fund like this at some point but not until I have a clear understanding of what UK's policy is towards payments of NIL and secondly that the NCAA is scrutinizing NIL and enforcing their written bylaws pertaining to "pay for play". IOW I'm not going to participate in a rigged game.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
If it was legit and cleared by the University, I'd probably pay $100. I would imagine there would be thousands of Betty Sues and Tommy Joes that'd give ~$20/yr if they knew it would help recruiting. That would add up quick, and I doubt there are 25 programs that could compete with UK in small NIL donations. Just think about all the people who stand in a hundred person line outside a Kroger just for a picture or autograph. Most schools don't have that.

Reactions: The-Hack
IOW I'm not going to participate in a rigged game.
That’s why I would prefer dedication to a position group, the BBW (including DL). Essentially, no individual recruit would be “sought after,” but all line recruits would know that scholarship linemen at UK receive X amount of dollars per year from one source.

No (hell no, tbh)

Absodamnloutely. If I'm going to fork out an extra $500 or $1000, it's going for the granddaughters college fund, other family matter or worthy local charity like the food bank, Habitat for Humanity, etc. If businesses want to participate in NIL, that's up to them.

Would I donate to pay the payroll for a product I already pay for? If that is the question than no. I am pretty sure that is the question.

Reactions: gojvc
If I had an over abundance of disposable income I would.

But sadly, with the state of the economy now (not making this political), I wouldn't.

I gave up my 6 tickets and 2 red lot passes 10 years ago. UK just wasn't giving us a product that justified the cost. I still go to a couple games a year and watch all on TV. I'm still football first ... just from my living room.

I'd consider donating to NIL.

Nope. If I could get my “donation” and money back for my tix this season, I would. The money in sports is absurd. I am losing interest fast.
I’m already going to be spending a bunch of money and borrowing more to send my own son to UK. No damn way I’m going to be giving money to one of his classmates who already has his education provided for free. So my answer to the OP’s question is no, hell no, and no mother flipping way.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT