ADVERTISEMENT

I think the best scorer left is popular

Robinson is a better choice. Much better defender, and can carry a team. Poplar was the fourth leading scorer on his own team. Will be a different animal with defenses keying on him. Still will be a nice pickup after Robinson if we don't get Riley.

Last edited:
Self Defense Fighting GIF

• Haha
Reactions: CatsDomain
Robinson is a better choice. Better perimeter shooter, much better defender, and can carry a team. Poplar was the fourth leading scorer on his own team. Will be a different animal with defenses keying on him. Still will be a nice pickup after Robinson if we don't get Riley.

Why do you consider Robinson a better perimeter shooter?

Robinson
Career 3PT - 34.3%
Last Yr 3PT - 35.4%
In Conf 3PT - 29.8%

Poplar
Career 3PT - 36.5%
Last Yr 3PT - 38.5%
In Conf 3PT - 32.3%

Robinson was shooting very well (40.0%) until Pope moved him to the starting lineup. Once he went back to coming off the bench, he did well again. Poplar was one of the best shooters in the country (49.3%), along with Sheppard, Brea, and Reeves, until he hurt his ankle halfway through the year.

Lol coz I’m getting old and I read Poplar’s.385 as .335 on my little phone. Thanks for correcting me. I’d still prefer Robinson, and I still think either one will do us good. It’s especially good to Poplar will have better numbers unhurt.

Reactions: Pygmy Sasquatch

Robinson
Career 3PT - 34.3%
Last Yr 3PT - 35.4%
In Conf 3PT - 29.8%

Poplar
Career 3PT - 36.5%
Last Yr 3PT - 38.5%
In Conf 3PT - 32.3%

Robinson was shooting very well (40.0%) until Pope moved him to the starting lineup. Once he went back to coming off the bench, he did well again. Poplar was one of the best shooters in the country (49.3%), along with Sheppard, Brea, and Reeves, until he hurt his ankle halfway through the year.
Here are their full shooting stats from 2023-24:

FG%:
Robinson 42.6%
Poplar 42.6%

2PT%:
Robinson 53.2%
Poplar 47%

3PT%:
Robinson 35.4%
Poplar: 38.5%

Other stats:

ORtg:
Robinson: 110.2
Poplar: 108.6

DRtg:
Robinson: 103.9
Poplar: 108.1

PER:
Robinson: 16.3
Poplar: 15.1

I don't know if he's going to remove himself from the draft, but I would take Jaylen Wells, out of Washington St., over both of these guys.

FG%:
Wells: 43.6
Robinson 42.6%
Poplar 42.6%

2PT%:
Wells: 45.7
Robinson 53.2%
Poplar 47%

3PT%:
Wells: 41.7
Robinson 35.4%
Poplar: 38.5%

Other stats:

ORtg:
Wells: 128.5
Robinson: 110.2
Poplar: 108.6

DRtg:
Wells: 104.3
Robinson: 103.9
Poplar: 108.1

PER:
Wells: 18.6
Robinson: 16.3
Poplar: 15.1

Reactions: BlueSince92
I want Robinson first. Between he and Poplar, both are very good players, the thing that pushes me more toward Robinson is he knows Pope / system. That is huge. Second, I want Poplar, not saying Riley is not a good player, but for RIGHT NOW, I would rather have one of the two proven commodities. Relying on a true freshman to play a major role is what we are trying to get away from. Especially a kid moving up a year. We still need elite freshmen talent to blend with vets, but for next year, give me the proven guy.

Lol coz I’m getting old and I read Poplar’s.385 as .335 on my little phone. Thanks for correcting me. I’d still prefer Robinson, and I still think either one will do us good. It’s especially good to Poplar will have better numbers unhurt.

No problem! I think I'd probably prefer Robinson just due to fit, but it's basically a coin flip. Poplar started every game for Miami the past two seasons, whereas Robinson has mostly come off the bench (started year before last), and getting less minutes. Likewise, Robinson can score in other ways and, honestly, we are fine with the elite 3PT shooting that we have. Robinson also brings a familiarity with Pope.

Dude is beast
According to this, the best scorer left is JT Toppin. Jaylen Wells would be the next man up, thirteenth overall in the transfer portal (among every player), second overall among those available. He was supposedly linked to Kentucky early on when he entered the portal.

Here are the three players compared, sorted by Offensive Efficiency Rating (ORtg). NOTE: Points are based on 100 possessions:

5XPgcWp.jpg

According to this, the best scorer left is JT Toppin. Jaylen Wells would be the next man up, thirteenth overall in the transfer portal (among every player), second overall among those available. He was supposedly linked to Kentucky early on when he entered the portal.

Here are the three players compared, sorted by Offensive Efficiency Rating (ORtg). NOTE: Points are based on 100 possessions:

5XPgcWp.jpg
And just when I post this, I Google JT Toppin and find he has signed with Texas Tech. That leaves Jaylen Wells as the best offensive weapon available.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT