ADVERTISEMENT

I think I know why so many are against Scott Drew.

MachineHead1

Blue Chip Prospect
Nov 16, 2011
Think back to 2009. BCG had rightfully gotten his ass shown to the door. We were demoralized, our self-esteem was low, we needed something to show the world we still mattered. Enter Cal. At that time, he was the absolute best hire that could have been made. It was the sexy hire, the flashy coach, the thing that made everyone else notice again, that made Kentucky COOL again. On top of that, he won, and he won big. Now, he should have won MORE, but those were good times. Cal of 2010 made the world stand up and take notice. But; he got bitter, lost his way, and one accountant with a receding hairline later, we are in a bad spot again.

Enter (probably) Scott Drew. Very good coach. Built Baylor from nothing. Won a national title (say what you want about the type of year it was, the man has a ring), and by many accounts, is a much, much better actual COACH than Cal ever was. Makes adjustments. The metrics are good. Is a good/very good recruiter, though not elite, and in the transfer portal, I think that matters much less than it once did. But…he is not the sexy hire that Cal was 15 years ago. Not flashy. Almost milquetoast. Doesn’t inspire chatter, doesn’t sell “players first”, doesn’t poop ice cream, and won’t call us Bennies because we know how you should attack a 2-3 zone. Quiet. Almost “just a guy”.

We are used to flashy. We are used to a salesman. We are used to a shameless attention slut. We all complained about how that’s all Cal was, and that he couldn’t coach. Drew is the coach that we all wished Cal should have been, he just doesn’t make UK sexy. Doesn’t make us “cool”. The man’s resume is damned solid. I bet he will win here. Big.

That’s true. I said as such. We’re suckers for charisma; the look- Pitino and Cal types where we know a Jay Wright or Billy Donovan would fit that mold.

Reactions: CatFanInIlliniLand
Drew isn't wanted because he loses 14 games a year and except for covid year loses in the first or second round. even when he has recruits. he also likes to play slow it down physical ball. he is a boring just good enough coach that won during covid. everyone says but hes at baylor! as if he hasn't been there for 22 years.

Because fans want a roster full of 5 star players who will be NBA all-stars but also an older team with players who stick around a few years and are flashy but also players who play team ball and who are coached by an out-going arrogant trash talking coach but also someone who is humble and modest and someone who will tell it like it is and not afraid to stand up to the administration, media, fans, and boosters but also someone who gets along with the administration, media, fans, and boosters and someone who is up-and-coming young gun coach but also has years of experience and a great resume and someone who likes Coca-Cola but also likes Pepsi

Think back to 2009. BCG had rightfully gotten his ass shown to the door. We were demoralized, our self-esteem was low, we needed something to show the world we still mattered. Enter Cal. At that time, he was the absolute best hire that could have been made. It was the sexy hire, the flashy coach, the thing that made everyone else notice again, that made Kentucky COOL again. On top of that, he won, and he won big. Now, he should have won MORE, but those were good times. Cal of 2010 made the world stand up and take notice. But; he got bitter, lost his way, and one accountant with a receding hairline later, we are in a bad spot again.

Enter (probably) Scott Drew. Very good coach. Built Baylor from nothing. Won a national title (say what you want about the type of year it was, the man has a ring), and by many accounts, is a much, much better actual COACH than Cal ever was. Makes adjustments. The metrics are good. Is a good/very good recruiter, though not elite, and in the transfer portal, I think that matters much less than it once did. But…he is not the sexy hire that Cal was 15 years ago. Not flashy. Almost milquetoast. Doesn’t inspire chatter, doesn’t sell “players first”, doesn’t poop ice cream, and won’t call us Bennies because we know how you should attack a 2-3 zone. Quiet. Almost “just a guy”.

We are used to flashy. We are used to a salesman. We are used to a shameless attention slut. We all complained about how that’s all Cal was, and that he couldn’t coach. Drew is the coach that we all wished Cal should have been, he just doesn’t make UK sexy. Doesn’t make us “cool”. The man’s resume is damned solid. I bet he will win here. Big.
that made Kentucky COOL again.

Trolls from other programs and the many personalities of the remaining unmedicated Cal fan boy.
Nah. I’m a Kentucky fan, a Cal hater, and I don’t like Drew. That’s not to say I will hate him if he’s the hire, but he would absolutely be something like my 5th or 6th choice.

I think he’s the choice for stability. He would possibly have been the best hire had Cal given up 2-3 years ago and the ship just needed slight course correction. Now? The fan base is frustrated, the brand has lost its luster, and we would probably be best served with someone who was at least a bit exciting. Not Cal, mind you. A coach first, but someone who has a personality not quite as milquetoast as Mitch Barnhart.

But what do I know. I’m just a Benny.

Last edited:
I don’t care about the sexy hire at all. I mean I like Hurley but hiring Hurley is saying if you can’t beat him hire him. I like proving the university is bigger than the coach and while they go hand in hand, a really good coach can make a university really good but a great university can make a really good coach really great as well. Drew can flat out coach and that is all I care about. My only concern with him would be the job being too much for him with fan expectations and the need to be successful almost immediately and crumbling under the pressures of such. But I think he coaches well enough and constructs rosters well enough with KY resources he would be winning enough to appease the majority of the fanbase. Those not happy with the Drew hire will roll in their misery regardless how well he does.

I read on twitter last 3 or 5 years Drew and Baylor are:

#1 in Wins
#1 in NCAA Tournament W/L
#1 in National Championships (tied)
#1 vs Ranked Opponents
#1 as an underdog #2 in Conference W/L
#3 in Home W/L
#10 in active NBA Players

I’m starting to get on board.
I’d be surprised if all this is true. Three straight 2nd round losses, 1 Covid cancellation and 1 title run. Doesn’t add up

Reactions: Wildcats1st
Because fans want a roster full of 5 star players who will be NBA all-stars but also an older team with players who stick around a few years and are flashy but also players who play team ball and who are coached by an out-going arrogant trash talking coach but also someone who is humble and modest and someone who will tell it like it is and not afraid to stand up to the administration, media, fans, and boosters but also someone who gets along with the administration, media, fans, and boosters and someone who is up-and-coming young gun coach but also has years of experience and a great resume and someone who likes Coca-Cola but also likes Pepsi
So...what's your point?

I read on twitter last 3 or 5 years Drew and Baylor are:

#1 in Wins
#1 in NCAA Tournament W/L
#1 in National Championships (tied)
#1 vs Ranked Opponents
#1 as an underdog #2 in Conference W/L
#3 in Home W/L
#10 in active NBA Players

I’m starting to get on board.
No way.
I'm not sure who's #1 in all those categories, but I know who isn't.

We are in the social media and participation trophy era.

Everyone thinks their opinion is the be-all, end-all and should be heard respected and followed.

He wasn't their choice and now their having temper tantrums, because that's how everyone does it nowadays.

If you can read this and not think Drew is a great option, I don't know what to say

Bingo!

Nah. I’m a Kentucky fan, a Cal hater, and I don’t like Drew. That’s not to say I will hate him if he’s the hire, but he would absolutely be something like me 5th or 6th choice.

I think he’s the choice for stability. He would possibly have been the best hire had Cal given up 2-3 years ago and the shop just needed slight course correction. Now? The fan base is frustrated, the brand has lost its luster, and we would probably be best served with someone who was at least a bit exciting. Not Cal, mind you. A coach first, but someone who has a personality not quite as milquetoast as Mitch Barnhart.

But what do I know. I’m just a Benny.

Are you posting thread after thread about it? If so please stop, but judging from your post you’re a reasonable person and not who I was referring to.

Yep! I’ve taken a couple days to critically think about it and he’s actually the perfect hire. He’s 53 years old and we’re in much better shape long term. Having recently won a national championship, that becomes a recruiting tool for him. If he brings in the players that he recruited and we grab some senior talent from the portal, then the rebuild won’t take long. I’m excited about Scott Drew.

It’s entirely personality concerns….a significant portion of the fanbase believes you need to be an extrovert who enjoys being a “celebrity” to be a good coach at UK. After Pitino and Cal they want someone brash and bold who seems larger than life. And that isn’t Drew. I’m not sure I agree with those people but that’s what they think.

Absolutely nailed it.

If Drew comes this fits on the historical scale of UK coaches since Rupp.

We can use the GGD model (Great, Good, Drunk) or BBD model (Brash, Boring, Drunk) as both models are the same.

GGD:
Great: Rupp, Pitino, Cal
Good: Hall, Smith, Drew??
Drunk: Sutton, Gillispie, ???

BBD:
Brash: Rupp, Pitino, Cal
Boring: Hall, Smith, Drew??
Drunk: Sutton, Gillispie, ???

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
last 3 years in the tourney hes been a failure thats the big issue . same downward trend as Cal

My only concern with Drew is the lack of deep tournament runs in the last 10-11 years, outside of the championship year. Lot of first weekend exits. Don't care about the flash.

Your syntax is so bad, it hurts to read this.

If Drew is the choice then I’ll support him as long as he is. I’ll always support the Wildcats no matter the coach and I’m sure everyone will get behind in the end

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Don't forget free bubble up and rainbow stew.

I think some of it is charisma, Drew doesn't have the "it" factor. The big personality that Valvano/Pitino/Calipari/Hurley all have/had. Here at NC St that is the biggest reason that NC St moved on from Herb Sendek, because he was fairly successful (other than not beat UNC enough).

I disagree, at least IMO he had one amazing run in the tournament. Other than that, his record over the past 20 years is good but not UK good.

If your only qualifier is he has a NC, I guess we should be going after Kevin Ollie too.

It is the feeling I get from him that he just does not have another title in him. I see a great family man whose mind is not consumed with basketball. A well adjusted individual. He has spent most of his early life reaching the goal and got there. Now he thinks about all those things he neglected. Now his financial situation is secure time to get back to family as he promised them. Exactly as a man should do. He will keep his team in the top 4-5 of the conference Good but not top. I think this is much of what happened to Cal. You need a young man who still lives and breathes basketball. But I don't get that feeling from Drew..

Last edited:
Reactions: CGblue
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT