ADVERTISEMENT

I love this team....here's why

And you guys act as if UK has never lost a game, never had a bad season, and we have 47 national championships. We can meet in the middle.
I'm all for that. Just can't grasp being ok with losing and feeling encouraged about it.

You don’t seem the least bit pissed we lost. You actually said “you’re pleased” with what you saw. Not trying to be a jerk but you must be young. You’re basically applauding a ‘moral victory’. Any Kentucky basketball team figures to lose a game or two but expects to win em all. The past few years have been sh*t and a lot of fans are tired of it. True UK fans don’t accept what we’ve been getting and that includes LOSING again tonight.
Umm, he said in his post that he was pissed.

Basically everyone’s tired of waiting. Losing losing losing is not what Kentucky basketball is about. . We beat Duke, they’re not supposed to be us. If we had Ran some sort of offence we could’ve won that game. Zero ball movement. One on one iso plays
We lost cause we couldn’t get stops. We lack a rim protector too. Offense will be fine once they start to gel and the rotation becomes familiar

I think this can be a pretty good team, but not a title contender. We’re too short on bigs that can actually play. Oscar can’t do it all. Teams with big bodies will bully us when Oscar isn’t on the court. we just don’t have any bulk other than Oscar. That’s what will most likely end our season.
Nah. We would just need to play to our strengths. We won’t though, because of the coach.

We shot terrible because of Dukes length and ability to close out. It wasn't because we were off.

Duke has better talent, it is what it is.
For now. The tide has changed. My prediction is Scheyer's record against UK will not be as lopsided as K's is. Cal gets us another big in the portal, Oscar comes back that's a dang awesome team. One poster said that this is a holdover team, and that might be true.

Reactions: Louis_Skunt
Its down right comical reading all the whiners and crybabies on this site. I'm sure glad you don't coach this team or play on it...because the first sign of adversity you all run and cry and bellyache like a bunch of first graders,,,,frickin soft.

I honestly sit back and scroll through this gibberish, day after day, and if I were a parent UK is the LAST place I would send my kid to learn and develop as young adult...its a down right TOXIC environment because of these clowns.

UK doesn't have a god given right to anything.....they've won EIGHT championships in over a 100 years, but these jokers act like one bad season then world is going to end...get a grip. And it was one bad season, the year before they were a legit Final Four caliber team before COVID cancelled everything, and the year before OT loss in the Elite 8, but you all act like its been 9-16 for like 5 straight seasons.

And don't come at me with its our high expectations that have made this program great....sure the fans are a part of it, but unfortunately you are the part that actually hinders and tears a program a part...BE BETTER!!

Message boards and twitter are the cesspool for the malcontents in society.....misery loves company, and these platforms give you miserable people your platform to feed of each other, which gives you some sense of validation that someone actually values your opinions...when in reality they mean nothing!!!

Basically everyone’s tired of waiting. Losing losing losing is not what Kentucky basketball is about. . We beat Duke, they’re not supposed to be us. If we had Ran some sort of offence we could’ve won that game. Zero ball movement. One on one iso plays

IDK why you think that. Have you looked at the last 30-40 years of our records against the elites. It's not like we spent some stretch of your childhood where we just beat them all repeatedly, Duke especially.

The shooting issue seems to be solved, but Duke had size and athleticism we couldn't compete with at times last night. They muscled us around (other than Oscar), beat us off the dribble, blocked our shots. It was a mismatch in a lot of areas. These UK teams just aren't anywhere near the ones we had in the first part of Cal's run.

We shot terrible because of Dukes length and ability to close out. It wasn't because we were off.

Also shot horribly because selection is horrible. Part of selection being horrible is the offense, when Wheeler or TyTy can't get by their defender, is horrible. Relying on little to no ball movement, playing two "bigs" at once that can't shoot, and expecting a player to be able to beat a defender off the dribble consistently is a bad recipe. Gotta have four "guards" that can dribble and shoot if you want to play that way.

1996 lost game 1 to UMASS then beat them in the FF only losing one other time the rest of the yr.

No this is not 1996 but Duke is damn good and a bad matchup for UK with all of their size.

We knock down a few more threes in the 2nd half and we may have won
Like it or not, in 1996 the coach was a lot better at...well...coaching. He was also ahead of the game, not behind it.

What in the world do you think Duke ran lol? Iso for keels and banchero. It's today's game. Go look at Gonzaga film and see the iso for Chet tonight.
Well the game I watched show Duke moving the ball fantastically to get the shot they want. Then they took uncontested jumpers and made most of them. Kentucky had about 6 minutes in the first half where they had a good ball movement and probably the first three minutes of the second half where they had a good ball movement. Other than that it was Hero selfish ball.
I’m not saying it can’t be fixed but it is what it is

We actually ran better offense than Duke. They just made shots, we didn’t. Keels would just drive to the basket and Banchero would just pull up and pop. What kind of great offense did Coach K run?

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
We actually ran better offense than Duke. They just made shots, we didn’t. Keels would just drive to the basket and Banchero would just pull up and pop. What kind of great offense did Coach K run?
We ran an offense?

You expect a point guard coming down floor and raising a finger and calling a play???🤣

We shot terrible because we didn’t pass effectively and find open shots.

You can’t outrun a pass. You can’t be too long for a pass. It is what it is.

reading from another site....

I thought we were doing 1 in 4 out? What I saw was the same old approach to throwing it over
We attempted 59 two-point shots, including 30 from mid-range, compared to only 18 three-point attempts, with only 7 coming in the second half. That doesn't equate to modern basketball. By comparison, Alabama - who I thought we were going to try to emulate - took 31 two-point attempts and 33 three-point attempts in their 29 point win last night

"We're going to play more uptempo this year" - Tubby Smith

I am surprised we didn't see Allen after his play in that 2nd half against Miles. I would have also liked to see him get some run tonight. He is definitely a bigger, stronger guy so maybe he could have been an answer to the strength of Duke's guards. Oh well.
I think you can forget about Allen. Cal won't play him.

The kind that beats UK by 8 points on a neutral court

First game I've seen this year...don't watch BS exhibition games. I thought we showed a lot of fight and toughness to hang in there against a very good team who was better than us. So we lost...big deal. Some people on this board think it's a sin to lose an early season game and they're ready to capitulate. That's such weak sauce.

Frankly, I wasn't particularly impressed by Washington. Oscar was way better than I thought he was...Wheeler is impressive and I think he has more upside. After that? Meh. Mintz, Grady, and Brooks are mediocre. They are what they are at this point in their careers. The other freshmen don't appear to be quite ready. Maybe Toppin can up his game and give us a little star power at the forward position. 3rd in the SEC might be our ceiling.

We shot terrible because we didn’t pass effectively and find open shots.

You can’t outrun a pass. You can’t be too long for a pass. It is what it is.
Kinda the same thing. Dukes length and athleticism kept that from happening.

I'm 34. Not sure if that's young or not.. I'm a coach and deal with high school kids and grade school kids daily so I feel 50. I expect to win every game. We are UK. But I also know I can't jump off the ledge with a loss. We made plenty of mistakes. But I saw a lot of good as well.
Is the Pie Kitchen still open in Shelbyville?

Nope. Untrue. Lack of execution kept that happening. This is why underdogs beat more athletic teams all the time. It’s called skill and polish.
Lack of execution was due to the fact that they were 10 times longer than us. UK was scared to death to drive due to their length. The bigs could run with our guards, thats why help was rarely needed which would leave wings open more.
Agree to disagree here.

Lack of execution was due to the fact that they were 10 times longer than us. UK was scared to death to drive due to their length. The bigs could run with our guards, thats why help was rarely needed which would leave wings open more.
Agree to disagree here.
You are just scared. Intimidated. Not one player on the team of Puke can outrun a pass. I agree with you on one thing. You quit on this team. Gave up.

You are just scared. Intimidated. Not one player on the team of Puke can outrun a pass. I agree with you on one thing. You quit on this team. Gave up.
Im scared, what are you 15? Am i getting sent off to Iraq?

Cats got abused by better talent, period. I hate Duke but i have enough perspective to admit theyre a better team and its not close. Cats couldve lost by 20. Relax, we'll lose more games....it happens.

We got our asses handed to us in a way that suggested we might barely be able to overcome it, if we faced the same situation again at the end of the year, if by that time we had a strong cohesive and focused team-based defense and offense. Except, the past few years, we have been notably lacking in any meaningful functional systematic offense, or any defense we play to advantage (our man-to-man looks have been getting carved up pretty well, because we haven’t had Mondo shot blockers and we haven’t had enough guys who switch intuitively.)

People are right to be concerned. No need to jump off bridges. But no real positive takeaways from last night either, outside of Oscar.

What in the world do you think Duke ran lol? Iso for keels and banchero. It's today's game. Go look at Gonzaga film and see the iso for Chet tonight.
And it works well if you have Keels and Banchero. Unfortunately we don’t.

I am surprised we didn't see Allen after his play in that 2nd half against Miles. I would have also liked to see him get some run tonight. He is definitely a bigger, stronger guy so maybe he could have been an answer to the strength of Duke's guards. Oh well.
I agree except for the fact you were surprised. Why in the world would you have been surprised? I wasn’t surprised one bit. Pissed off, yes. But not one little bit surprised.

Im scared, what are you 15? Am i getting sent off to Iraq?

Cats got abused by better talent, period. I hate Duke but i have enough perspective to admit theyre a better team and its not close. Cats couldve lost by 20. Relax, we'll lose more games....it happens.
Or could have won by 10 or 15 with better defense.

Yeah. Scared. Not basketball material. Size help. Not as much as skill though.

Tyler Ulis. You ain’t him.

Folks, our best player shot 3-14, mintz 2-7, wheeler 6-15, they made 10 more Fts than us.

We are going to be fine. This team showed fight like no other team before. Down 15 and cut it to 4. We were physical, diving for balls, scrappy, a lot of hustle.

The big O was an absolute monster! And he sat quite a bit due to foul trouble.

Maybe Our best Shooter didn't even play tonight (CJ)...Grady needs to be more aggressive.

All in all, I'm pleased with what I saw. Hell yes I wanted to win and pissed we lost. But after last year, this team is light years ahead. If their is 8 better teams in the country better than DUKE I want to see it. And if their is 9 better than us, then I want to see it too!

It's game 1! Take a breath, relax. This team is going to be fun to watch!
Duke didn’t play their A game and had guys dropping like flies. No this was reminiscent of the KU game last year except we played KU closer. We only won 9 games last year. There are a lot of holes the team is disjointed. There are going to be some unhappy players too soon. I think having cupcake city will help build some confidence but I saw a duke team who could barely finish the game physically and mentally. That’s why we were in the game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT