ADVERTISEMENT

I know some posters on here have been to a practice.

I went to the shoot around the day of the USC game. They actually went over the inbound defense for a good period of time. Worked on the guy coming down the lane, the screens USC sets, and the pass out to the corner for a three.

Then in the game Reed was in a daze on one and didn’t do what they worked on and gave up a dunk. Then another player turned his back on his man and gave up an open corner shot.

Same thing happened last night for 2 dunks and a three. All five guys have to have their heads out of their asses or the D breaks down and is disastrous.
I love Reed as a player but he is the single worst ball watcher I’ve ever seen. He is great at getting steals and anticipation but his ball watching causes more issues than anything.

A lot of it is just youth. But that also falls on Cal because he chose that.

He can overcome it with NBA all star type talent on the roster. He can't over come it with borderline NBA bench rotation type talent.

Reactions: catben
I love Reed as a player but he is the single worst ball watcher I’ve ever seen. He is great at getting steals and anticipation but his ball watching causes more issues than anything.
Agree! His ball hawking is great but leaves our defense super vulnerable against good teams. If he is guarding a terrible player we get away with it. If his man is worth a darn it kills us.

Rob is just as bad. So when those 2 are on the court together, it's REALLY tough.

Then you add to it our lack of rotating properly and not putting a body on anyone when going for a rebound and you get what happened in EVERY game we have lost.

Cal is NOT getting through to this group of players. WHY?????!!!!!

Has he gone SOFT????

Rob even admitted last night that they go over how to defend the underneath the basket out-of-bounds plays NUMEROUS times during practice, but it doesn't translate to the games. And, heck he's one of the WORST at not doing what he's supposed to!!!!

Cal is LOST!!!

I can tell you what they don't do:
1. Practice defending out of bounds plays
2. Practice running out of bounds plays.
3. Practice playing a zone defense.
4. Practice attacking a zone defense.
5. Evidently, practice defense period.
6. Practice a press defense.
7. Others to numerous to name...
number 6: Its my opinion they practice one form of the "press"and it shows. They are well prepared for that bs of press conference we see

Tom Izzo
Bill Self
Jerry Tarkanian
Bob Knight
Randy Bennett
Bob Huggins
John Thompson
Chris Beard
Bruce Pearl
On and on
Tom Izzo
Bill Self
Jerry Tarkanian
Bob Knight
Randy Bennett
Bob Huggins
John Thompson
Chris Beard
Bruce Pearl
On and on
We're talking about Cal's weight. He's fat. Huggins is fat but he's also a well known drunk. The rest of the list, eh.

You'd think that practice would be more difficult than the game.

I know it can be, you almost start thinking that the team is too special to battle.

Basically we've become soft.
If practices are harder than games, which I think they should be, injuries are more likely to occur.

We're talking about Cal's weight. He's fat. Huggins is fat but he's also a well known drunk. The rest of the list, eh.
You asked and I delivered, now what? Cal’s weight don’t have a damn thing to do with his coaching ability or lack of.

You asked and I delivered, now what? Cal’s weight don’t have a damn thing to do with his coaching ability or lack of.
Bill Self fat? Bobby Knight fat? That's a bit of a stretch.

Tom Izzo has gained some weight and coincidentally, has really dropped off lately. Probably because he doesn't have the energy to do what needs to be done. Beard and Pearl don't spend a lot of time on the stair stepper either but both have plenty of energy on the sideline.

• Haha
Reactions: DeerTurkHunter1
Bill Self fat? Bobby Knight fat? That's a bit of a stretch.

Tom Izzo has gained some weight and coincidentally, has really dropped off lately. Probably because he doesn't have the energy to do what needs to be done. Beard and Pearl don't spend a lot of time on the stair stepper either but both have plenty of energy on the sideline.
If Cals fat then Knight and Pearl are/were too, come on. I think his arrogance is way more of an issue than his donut addiction. Not to mention his inability to listen to others.

Can you let us know what the team does in practice?
I've been to a little more than a handful over the years, and it typically breaks down like this...

Individual skills improvement session with assistants: Perimeter/post players split
Typical group warmup: 2 man run, 3 man run, 2 on 1 transition...
2 on 2 half-court: guard with a big: focus is getting open on the wing, strong with ball, while post player is trying to establish post position on block. Live 2 on 2
3 on 3 halfcourt D and 4 on 4 shell
Individual improvement: stationary shooting - he has different shooting drills they chart
5 on 5 in half-court, typically working on offensive execution here. His "floppy" action, some DDMO, etc
Live play full-court, stopping for teaching moments
Individual improvement session: some kind of finishing at the rim/shooting

If Cals fat then Knight and Pearl are/were too, come on. I think his arrogance is way more of an issue than his donut addiction. Not to mention his inability to listen to others.
Fair enough. It just seems that Cal's slide began when he started gaining weight. Like he's gotten older and just doesn't have the energy or drive to do what needs to be done.

Whoever runs the block-out drill needs to be fired immediately
This can’t be understated. I don’t see blocking out. I just see guys going for the rebound that aren’t good enough to do that.

Rodman could because he’s the best ever. Everyone else should make sure their man doesn’t get the rebound first. Then go get it. It’s your chance to legally slam into someone. Take advantage.

Lazy, afraid of contact, and or poor instruction

Reactions: RunninRichie
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT