ADVERTISEMENT

I have a love/hate relationship with this mentality.

I hate this mentality!!! There’s a lot you can learn by studying different tendencies of opposing teams. Then in game players can recognize things based off of game tape they watch!

My opinion, we should watch more tape of opposing teams then we do of ourselves.

Reactions: WeWant9
It is common to focus on what your team does best. It is also right to address special situations that the other teams offense or defense may present. So you prepare for the other team but more so, you practice those things that have made you a good team.
John Wooden always said that if a team practices defense more than offense, he wanted to play them. Defense is crucial but without the ball. Offense is crucial but with the variable of having a ball in the mix. You have to practice offense more.

Ok, that’s a total misrepresentation of what Calipari does or what people always complain about. If that’s what you’re saying.

John Wooden would prepare for games the same way. He had a philosophy of doing all his coaching in practice and that’s why he wasn’t as animated on the sidelines. He wouldn’t worry about the other teams’ flow because they could change. So he would relentlessly work on their game plan and off/def. I read it in his biography called Wooden. Great book.
Even Cal could win with Lew Alcindor and Bill Walton

Not an effort issue at all, it’s an incompetence issue. This is why he needs Anthony Davis to win. He needs players so over the top good, they win no matter what he does. He cannot actually game plan, he does not possess the knowledge and ability.
I tend to agree with this, and although it’s a little harsh, it might be true. Maybe he’s just lazy and like some have said just doesn’t want to put in the energy.

^Calipari doesn’t have haters. He’s got people that see through him and don’t like to lose, and he’s got people who can’t and lie to themselves. This guy has put on a master class in cognitive dissonance.

Reactions: crestcat
^Calipari doesn’t have haters. He’s got people that see through him and don’t like to lose, and he’s got people who can’t and lie to themselves. This guy has put on a master class in cognitive dissonance.
No, he has haters. Click on any random thread, he's got haters. You'll have no problem finding ignorant posts that reek of Cal hatred. You can want Cal gone, but still be logical about coaching and UK basketball. Those things can mutually exist....at least for some of us...

Bless your heart.

I'm with you, I know what you're saying. But I think context is definitely needed here. He said that on Sunday, there's no reason to be focusing on Oakland yet. Get better at executing OUR offense, OUR defense, OUR actions/sets, and OUR communication

Tuesday: start showing Oakland film breakdown, team tendencies, how we want to execute against their zone. Scout team starts running Oakland's sets/actions to introduce

Wednesday: Execute our offense vs their defense. Matchups are finalized, undestand personnel tendencies for Oakland, and again defend our scout team running their actions. Make sure we know what we want to execute on offense, out-of-bounds

Thursday: Oakland film review, scouting review. Our offensive execution review
Gotta have a travel day in there somewhere

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT