ADVERTISEMENT

I generally support the Twins, but...

Apr 1, 2011
I've always been a cheerleader for the Twins, because I think they sometimes get treated unfairly.

However, I simply cannot understand why Aaron took 20 shots today. 20!! He and Andrew took 30 combined shots. Some of these were layups, so fair enough, but where do the other 2/3 come from?

Aaron plays very good defense and works hard. Today he had 7 rebounds and 3 steals. That's great! But 2-13 from 3 (he took 13 threes!), and 4-20 overall! Andrew had 5 assists and 1 turnover, but was 2-10 from the field.

I don't believe they are trying to be selfish, but Cal, or someone needs to get it through their heads that more isn't always better. High quality shots are going to result in a higher percentage and more impressive stats…quality, not quantity.

What is the answer to this problem? Should they just not be in the game at the same time? Do they need to be benched for extended periods? Or will they just 'get it' at some point?

I think Cal wanted the ball in Aaron's hands at the end of the game, but he didn't have to launch something with 3 guys guarding him. Andrew had a semi-contested layup near the end of regulation, but we had the lead. He just needed to pull it out and wait for a foul.

Any former coaches out there: how do you teach better shot selection and fewer of them?

Andrew Harrison missed it seems like 2-3 layups, including that one everyone remembers at the end of regulation. With the way we shoot FTs at times I was not terrible upset he took the easy layup...until it came out. Then I was like ugh.

The Harrisons also struggled to finish when they got steals or layups in general. I'm not sure why that is...they are like 6'6 so it should be easy to put it in IMO.

There is only one person on this team I would EVER want shooting 13 three's and that is Booker. And if you are taking 13 you better make at least 5 of them for a decent percentage.

Sorry, random thoughts in this response.

It's funny, nobody says this when he makes them. Shooters have to shoot, especially when they are in a funk. They have to shoot themselves out of it.

Would I like to see him make more of them? Yes. Would I like to see him make easy passes and get assists? Yes. I will not however criticize him for doing what he does best. Think how far we would have gotten last season had he not taken contested 3's or if he turned down shots because he missed a few.

Lay off the kid, we found a way to win the game.

Aaron Harrison is the best scorer on this team. He should be taking shots. Aaron Harrison had been 13-32 from 3 the past 4 games until today. It just wasn't his day. Maybe he tried to hard being close to home, whatever. UK needs him to be making buckets because if he isn't that makes it that much easier to zone us. Andrew was apparently having hip problems and you can notice if you go back and watch that he wasn't anywhere near as aggressive at going to the hoop than he has been. They'll figure it out. Folks just need to be patient and remember, no matter the record, this is only January 10th, not the end of Feb or early March.

Originally posted by crawfords corner:
Aaron Harrison is the best scorer on this team. He should be taking shots. Aaron Harrison had been 13-32 from 3 the past 4 games until today. It just wasn't his day. Maybe he tried to hard being close to home, whatever. UK needs him to be making buckets because if he isn't that makes it that much easier to zone us. Andrew was apparently having hip problems and you can notice if you go back and watch that he wasn't anywhere near as aggressive at going to the hoop than he has been. They'll figure it out. Folks just need to be patient and remember, no matter the record, this is only January 10th, not the end of Feb or early March.
If his hip is hurt that bad, he should sit out the Missouri game. I think we should, I emphasize SHOULD, be fine without him in that one to win somewhat comfortable. I'd rather him rest up and be 100% for the Bama game.

For some reason Andrew, and to a lesser extent Aaron, have lost confidence in their offensive ability. They have reverted back to trying to draw a foul instead of using their 6' 5" frames as a weapon. Even when they get to the goal they are having trouble finishing. Aaron missed many wide open looks from 3, but he has always been more of a streaky shooter than a consistent one. Andrew gets tight at the end of games. It shows when he shoots Free Throws and when he drives to the basket. I can't remember the last time either made an And-1.

They just need to get their MOJO back. I have confidence that Cal will help them to do just that.They are just in a mini-slump and I know that they will work hard to correct their shooting woes. On the other end of the floor I believe their defense has improved 100% from last season.

Originally posted by Sithlyone:
It's funny, nobody says this when he makes them. Shooters have to shoot, especially when they are in a funk. They have to shoot themselves out of it.

Would I like to see him make more of them? Yes. Would I like to see him make easy passes and get assists? Yes. I will not however criticize him for doing what he does best. Think how far we would have gotten last season had he not taken contested 3's or if he turned down shots because he missed a few.

That's the problem....they're really not shooters...even going back to HS

I think Booker is the best scorer on the team. They are both very good. Teams are going to zone us so I hope they make it a priority to setting more screens to get these two open looks.

Originally posted by Blueathletics:

ohwell.r191677.gif
Not sure if serious.

The only player I have hated to see drive to the basket more than Archie Goidwin is Andrew Harrison. It is amazing how many times he can't finish. But he can draw fouls at times which is why he does it.

I like the Harrisons and I believe we cannot win it all without them at their best but they are wildly inconsistent. And a black hole much of the time.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Andrew has regressed throughout the season. He needs to figure it out, whatever it is. There is no reason he shouldn't be finishing more of these bunny plays at the rim. I've defended the twins from day one, but I'm just saying. He has a couple bad plays, sulks on the bench, and when he comes back in he's even worse because he's frustrated.

Originally posted by crawfords corner:
Stats state that Devin Booker is the best shooter on this team. Even without the stats I would think Devin is the best shooter. Best Clutch shooter may be Aaron, but I am putting my money on Devin.

"It's funny, nobody says this when he makes them." Why would they if they make them? They have to make plays, not just chuck threes all day and cry when it doesn't work out..

Originally posted by sonnyg333:

"It's funny, nobody says this when he makes them." Why would they if they make them? They have to make plays, not just chuck threes all day and cry when it doesn't work out..
Isn't that the point?

We want Aaron to shoot the ball as much as he can when he is hot, but we want him to stop shooting when he isn't? How do you think he will get hot again? He has to see the ball through the basket. Shooters shoot, that's what they do. You take the good with the bad. You either have the misses with the makes or you don't have any at all, that's how it goes.

Andrew's problem is the same problem from last year. Not finishing at the rim. It's what was talked about after the season on what he needed to improve on. Not just here but from the media and Cal. Thankfully at the end of the season he started passing more so the problem fixed itself. This year, we've seen more of the old Andrew. If he wants to play at the next level he's going to have to learn to finish at the rim. Cal is looking out for his players first so I don't think you're going to see Cal discourage Andrew from trying to finish at the rim. If he learns to, UK becomes that more dangerous. Right now it's January so plenty of time for him to keep learning but you'll see bumps along the way.

As far as Aaron goes, he's a shooter with a shooter's mentality. Thanks to last years tourney, the guy thinks every shot is going in. For the most part today, I didn't see a lot of bad shots for him , they just didn't drop . A lot of the season he has rushed his shot but I didn't see a lot of that today. End if the day, I think they are fine, UK is fine. They seem to put a lot of pressure on themselves. Both need to take Cal's advice and relax.

They both had their issues last year too, lest we forget...then they started hitting crucial shots.
I'm not worried.

The Twins were 6 for 30 from the field. I don't know how many times I saw them pass up an open big man, several pick and rolls. They need to play smarter and that is putting it nicely.

Originally posted by Blueathletics:

ohwell.r191677.gif
Not sure if serious.
Not sure about high school but as far as college is concerned neither have been lights out in terms of shooting. Even with Aaron being clutch in the tournament last year his actual shooting percentage wasn't very good.

They have two months to settle down, manage the game, and the lead the team. I honestly think they can do it. Either they'll figure it out or Cal will figure it out for them. I know the"what if" game is silly in sports, but if the twins finish the chippies, the game's over before regulation. What should have been five or more easy baskets were ultimately empty possessions. That said, I believe they'll get it together.

I still love the twins and believe they just had a couple bad games, but there may come a time where Cal will just reward Ulis for his stellar effort with a bump in time and potential start.
Clearly he is playing better at this time, and he's always said that he rewards great play and intensity.
That being said, I think Andrew will turn it around.

Can some of you take coach cal's advice and relax? Look Andrew had a decent game, he had five assists and set up his brother for 2 more that he missed and one that dakari had blocked. Also he missed 4 free throws and he is one of the best uk has at those. He was hurting and it showed. Do you all notice at the end of games who has the ball? It's Andrew. Ulis is a more traditional point but Andrew has a unique ability of breaking down a defense and getting fouled or setting up a wide open look. He's not nearly as bad you people make him out be. He saved the team against ole miss.

And then Aaron....the guy has been playing very well lately and he probably took 5 shots too many but the offense was at times stagnate and he tried to create his own shot. If those shots fall like they did on Tuesday uk wins big in regulation. A shooters mentality....and yes he was known as a great shooter coming out of high school....is to quickly forget a miss. Shooters shoot the ball. One game earlier this season booker was 0-6 or something like that and people bashed him.

Look uk had struggled the past two games but they've made winning plays. They'll be fine!
Posted from Rivals Mobile

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT