ADVERTISEMENT

I don't see that glaring weakness

I'm certain I'll be accused of looking through those blue-tinted lenses, and I'm certainly a very glass is half full kind of fan, but I don't see the glaring weakness that we've had with some other teams.

I thought it would be shooting, 3pt shooting, foul shooting, mid-range shooting, but I haven't seen that.

We've had teams with very little in the middle, guys who seemed to wilt when teams got physical, but this team seems to have a won't back down kind of mentality and I think there are several guys here who enjoy the battle.

We've had teams that just wouldn't play defense, especially early in the year, but this group seems unafraid to get down in a stance and play D. I think they still need work guarding the ball, but there doesn't seem to be a lack of effort.

We've had teams without a dynamic wing player, to either score or defend other teams' 3 and 4, but we have multiple guys who can score and defend from the wing. I would have given just about anything to have a Knox or Diallo last season.

Hey, I know we're a work in progress still and will need time to gel, and maybe I'm missing something glaring because I'm biased, but where is the glaring weakness? How are teams going to attempt to beat us? Who will they go after? What's the weak point?

Not sure what you see with or what you drink but I have a feeling (Not a movement) you are not far off if you are off at all..."I'd hate to live on the difference..."

How can ANYBODY know what strengths or weaknesses we have yet? We have played virtually no one to tell...
We've all been there and seen that the past 9 years. We always look great in exhibition games against D3 competition, they don't have scholarship players, but we are seeing things that will become very obvious when the real games start.
Nothing terrible, just things that the team is going to have to experience to understand.
These D3 teams are getting wide open looks from 3 and are sometimes able to get to the rim and score without much fuss.
Cal will fix that stuff, he's already ahead IMO.

No glaring weakness? I agree.

I do see several areas where we are either untested or have significant execution gaps. For example.

The guards are untested. They’ve not run into the type of athlete that will dog their every step and make them rush or force mistakes. When they do, there will be a bit of a learning curve and some turnovers.

The press is untested against a skilled passing and ball handling team. Against teams of that nature I don’t expect to see it. I think it’s mostly for conditioning right now. Would love to see it used though on occasion.

The defense. Wow, such potential. Wow, such poor execution. You’d think we are playing mostly freshmen. We have a long way to go. Lot of teams are going to be really sorry when we get there.

The offense. We have problems passing. I don’t think it’s selfish in nature. I believe it’s more motivated by fear of turnovers. There are times where we take a fair shot and miss as opposed to passing to a good shot and risking the turnover. That brings me to the last point.

The confidence. We have individual confidence. The team hasn’t found its own confidence. This is causing some issues passing and particularly on defense. We will but not sure how long it will take.

There is a lot to like about this team. There probably isn't a John Wall or Anthony Davis level talent. But the talent is distributed evenly enough that Cal can just keep switching pieces until he finds the combination that works for that particular night.

I also liked the fact that they took Morehead's best punch and came back to win convincingly.

There is a lot to like about this team. There probably isn't a John Wall or Anthony Davis level talent. But the talent is distributed evenly enough that Cal can just keep switching pieces until he finds the combination that works for that particular night.

I also liked the fact that they took Morehead's best punch and came back to win convincingly.
Taking Morehead's best punch vs taking Vermont's best punch is like the difference between the 6th grade bully vs a Ric Flair chop

Yeah we have 8 guys ( green /alexander /knox/richards/gabriel/pj/diallo/Vanderbilt) all who could easily put up 20 in a game . That is remarkable.

Reactions: FlCATFan
My main concern against good competition is what happens when Richards and Washington inevitably get in foul trouble. It'd be huge if SKJ and Wynyard could give quality minutes in such situations but they don't seem that reliable. Gabriel's looking better, but can he defend and rebound against bigger teams? Can Vanderbilt at some point?

I love what I'm seeing out of Richards thus far though. I don't care if it's against Centre, Morehead or Chico State, he's got a mean streak that'll serve this team well going forward. He's like a pissed-off Willie Cauley-Stein.

Reactions: kyjeff1
My main concern against good competition is what happens when Richards and Washington inevitably get in foul trouble. It'd be huge if SKJ and Wynyard could give quality minutes in such situations but they don't seem that reliable. Gabriel's looking better, but can he defend and rebound against bigger teams? Can Vanderbilt at some point?

I love what I'm seeing out of Richards thus far though. I don't care if it's against Centre, Morehead or Chico State, he's got a mean streak that'll serve this team well going forward. He's like a pissed-off Willie Cauley-Stein.

I think the touch both on those hooks as well as further out on the floor should translate regardless. 7 foot with nice vertical is still in effect regardless of the level of competition. The worry is more about being able to get the position in the first place not especially the difference in height of defenders and I don't see this kid getting pushed around a whole lot.

Those counting on him on the roster next year are getting ahead of themselves. It might happen but my guess it more likely he is a lottery selection when we get to the end of the year.

Reactions: BBUK
How can ANYBODY know what strengths or weaknesses we have yet? We have played virtually no one to tell...

Yeah, that's how exhibition games are, but it's a discussion board, and if we were winning by 2 or 3, do you think we shouldn't be worried? You analyze as the season progresses.

A lot of the mistakes last night were caused by fatigue. Of course they have things to work on but nothing that's alarming.

Reactions: kyjeff1 and BBUK
Not hardly Doc but...I am your friend...
Yeah, it was over the top but it sounded good at the time.Thought about using KU and Ali but that would be giving KU too much credit.Vermont is pretty good though.

My question is what do we really have in Gabriel? If he keeps this up against higher level teams, we will be hard to take out

As many have said, experience is the glaring weakness in this Kentucky team.

It's an odd year coming, with many top teams having multiple experienced players. We don't see that often. I think this is going to end up being a bad year for UK to have an all-freshmen team. Whether the basketball gods re aligning to eliminate the one-and-done or not, I can see this year's Final Four being all teams that have juniors and seniors and several of them being future NBA players. (Yes, that means I see another early exit for Duke, despite the 20 year career of Grayson Allen.)

John Calipari is the absolute best at molding young teams though. If anyone can do it, he can. But I foresee another tough December and January as he breaks down guys' individual games and teaches them to play as a team, drive the ball more rather than settle for jump shots, and play better defense.

My question is what do we really have in Gabriel? If he keeps this up against higher level teams, we will be hard to take out
My take on Gabriel is this:
He's going to have games where people will say he's our best player.
But, there are also going to be games where he is going to do absolutely nothing right and cause some fans to endlessly trash him on here.
He's a difference maker for sure, but inconsistency is what we have seen from him.
Dude has some energy though and when he's on he's an incredible player.

My take on Gabriel is this:
He's going to have games where people will say he's our best player.
But, there are also going to be games where he is going to do absolutely nothing right and cause some fans to endlessly trash him on here.
He's a difference maker for sure, but inconsistency is what we have seen from him.
Dude has some energy though and when he's on he's an incredible player.

Hope for consistency. Hope is a good thing,...I hope...

Won't call it a weakness, just an unknown. What happens when Richards gets 2 early fouls? Or Knox? Or any of them for that matter.

This is where the lack of experience will really kick in.

How about the other side of the coin? I don't see any "glaring" strength either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Offensively, I mainly want to see how they handle a zone.

Defensively, I am waiting to see how they handle guarding elite teams.

Won't call it a weakness, just an unknown. What happens when Richards gets 2 early fouls? Or Knox? Or any of them for that matter.

How about the other side of the coin? I don't see any "glaring" strength either.

Have a nice day...

I think in a year that is generally weak at the guard positions, UK has really good ones. I think Quade Green will be a Cousy Award candidate and Kevin Knox will be an Erving Award candidate. Any team with two players of this caliber will be a contender in March.

I think UK's overall length will be a strength all year too. Especially when Vanderbilt starts playing.

It is interesting. They seem like sort of a jack-of-all-trades kind of team. Very balanced from top to bottom. I don’t see anything that they’re really GREAT at but there aren’t any glaring weaknesses yet other than typical youth sloppiness. Should be a fun season.

Besides being very careless with the ball and not sustaining the energy to keep after the loose ball we had our moments. Sometimes when the opponents shoot 3’s, the long rebound is not being gone after with a lot of hustle and then we get caught looking wondering who’s ball or man was that. Cal knows the film will tell him everything and the guys will see their mistakes and hopefully correct them sooner.

Not sure why, maybe high school doesn’t do it as much but freshmen seem to not see the backdoor play developing and don’t switch correctly very well. Knox does see the passing lanes well and makes quite a few steals and deflections. I like his demeanor on the floor.

I am relieved to see that shooting isn’t going to be horrific as we were told in the pre season, Green looks like Tyler Ulis which is terrific. Knox seems like he will be the real deal and Gabriel looks to be solid too. Front court played well against undersized competition so I’m in wait and see mode on Washington and Richards.

Glad to see we aren’t over looking Vermont. I was stressing in the off season that Kansas isn’t the first big game. Vermont is a tournament team, projected 12 seed and a heavy favorite to win the American East. I think UK will beat them but it will be close.

Not sure why, maybe high school doesn’t do it as much but freshmen seem to not see the backdoor play developing and don’t switch correctly very well. Knox does see the passing lanes well and makes quite a few steals and deflections. I like his demeanor on the floor.

Symptom of very poor coaching in AAU ranks in my opinion.

I'm certain I'll be accused of looking through those blue-tinted lenses, and I'm certainly a very glass is half full kind of fan, but I don't see the glaring weakness that we've had with some other teams.

I thought it would be shooting, 3pt shooting, foul shooting, mid-range shooting, but I haven't seen that.

We've had teams with very little in the middle, guys who seemed to wilt when teams got physical, but this team seems to have a won't back down kind of mentality and I think there are several guys here who enjoy the battle.

We've had teams that just wouldn't play defense, especially early in the year, but this group seems unafraid to get down in a stance and play D. I think they still need work guarding the ball, but there doesn't seem to be a lack of effort.

We've had teams without a dynamic wing player, to either score or defend other teams' 3 and 4, but we have multiple guys who can score and defend from the wing. I would have given just about anything to have a Knox or Diallo last season.

Hey, I know we're a work in progress still and will need time to gel, and maybe I'm missing something glaring because I'm biased, but where is the glaring weakness? How are teams going to attempt to beat us? Who will they go after? What's the weak point?

I completely agree with you in your comments. I’ve really liked what I’ve seen. However, I’m going to slow down a bit and see what they look like against D1 talent, specifically decent D1 talent. Those teams we have played have a way of making a lot of teams look really good. We need to see what they look like against teams at least near our size. We need to see how they handle kids near their size or as big at certain positions. I think that will tell us more. I have really liked the potential that I’ve seen thus far and knowing we have the perfect coach to get them where they need to be, makes it even that much more exciting. Great comments on your post!!!

Reactions: IL Wildcat and BBUK
Thanks for all the replies everyone. Great thoughts from many in this thread. I don't necessarily disagree with the more negative comments. I said that I don't see any "glaring" weaknesses. I certainly didn't say that we're ready to play Kansas or that we have little to work on. But I was expecting with this young team, even in these exhibitions, to see some major areas of concern. I guess with all the talk from Calipari about how terrible the team was looking that I was relieved we don't have gaping holes. And by the way, there are some things that competition greatly affects and some that don't change much. For example, free throw shooting or 3pt shooting. Open shots either fall or they don't. Playing with effort is another. Being willing and interested in playing defense is another. Ability to handle the ball on the break and finish above the rim, these things can be evaluated regardless of opponent. Being a 6-9 guard in a power forward's body or having multiple players with 7ft+ wingspans- these things are true or not regardless of opponent.

Bottom line, I'm encouraged by what I see. I think by talking about how terrible we are Calipari is trying to motivate his team and he's trying to downplay how good they are to lower fan expectations and also to take some pats on the back when they look like they may be ahead of schedule. He's the master at both of these.

And by the way, I'm pretty much expecting a loss to Kansas, and I'm not gonna freak out if it happens. But this team has some unique players with some unique skills, and I'm feeling pretty good about their potential.

Reactions: jojohn
Shooting, inexperience, and cohesiveness. And I’m not sure we have that “one guy” that can just take over and put us on our backs and carry us to a W. I think it’s going to be a season a lot like 2013-2014. I just hope we can put it together by March Iike that group did.

I have watched a grand total of one half of UK this exhibition season (against Centre). I can tell you I am completely sanguine about our prospects and think we're a legit final four contender for one reason. His name is Kevin Knox and he is the do it all forward that Cal has needed for the last few years. We have plenty of athletes around him. Enjoy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT