ADVERTISEMENT

I don't care who anyone has. We have more than enough.

On paper, and in ratings of players, observed performance, experienced players that have produced, Duke looks head and shoulders above everyone including us now. Awful news and you have to be honest about it with Bagley stupidly going there, no two ways about it. We would be crowning ourselves if he had come here. What we have to hope is that our players do develop during the season especially in the front court. If SKJ and Richards, maybe even Wynyard become the players they are thought to be capable of then I agree, we have a very good team too.

One other factor that few every like to mention, is injuries. If Bogans hadn't been injured, if Dale Brown hadn't been injured, if Bowie hadn't been injured, if Anderson hadn't been injured, if Cauley-Stein hadn't been injured, etc. etc. etc. Often in college sports survival also plays a part in eventual championships, so the Kentucky team like Duke has plenty of talent and we can certainly win it all but Duke is now at present the absolute favorite.

On paper, and in ratings of players, observed performance, experienced players that have produced, Duke looks head and shoulders above everyone including us now. Awful news and you have to be honest about it with Bagley stupidly going there, no two ways about it. We would be crowning ourselves if he had come here. What we have to hope is that our players do develop during the season especially in the front court. If SKJ and Richards, maybe even Wynyard become the players they are thought to be capable of then I agree, we have a very good team too.

One other factor that few every like to mention, is injuries. If Bogans hadn't been injured, if Dale Brown hadn't been injured, if Bowie hadn't been injured, if Anderson hadn't been injured, if Cauley-Stein hadn't been injured, etc. etc. etc. Often in college sports survival also plays a part in eventual championships, so the Kentucky team like Duke has plenty of talent and we can certainly win it all but Duke is now at present the absolute favorite.
On paper, really...have you looked at Michigan st and Arizona on paper? If so, I don't see how you could possibly say they are head and shoulders above them.

Arizona and Michigan St. have way more experienced players that have produced on the college level than Duke.

Duke has two guys more talented than anyone we have, and another two that are just as good as anyone we have.

We're deeper, but we're younger, and we lack transcendent talent. This recruiting class as a whole is weak, but grabbing 4 of the top 8 and returning Grayson Allen is a pretty darn good haul.

The best hope is that this class provides a foundation for a monster next season. Bring a handful of guys back, add 3-4 elite '18 guys and let's go get it.

We *can* win it this year, it's just not likely. Arizona, Duke and Michigan State are either more talented or more experienced or both. And we're definitely not good enough to overcome the draw and whistle we'll apparently get.
Unfortunately, I can't disagree with your last sentence in theory, based on our history of draws and refs under Cal. I swear, if UK draws Higgins as a ref in the NCAA tournament next spring, I will officially jump aboard the tin hat conspiracy crew. And this coming from someone who thinks talking about refs is lame and a worthless excuse. However, Higgins is the one exception- there is simply too much evidence.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Bagley makes Duke really good. But this is a year where Duke being good isnt as threatening. Michigan St and Arizona are also loaded with talent, and talent that has experience as opposed to Duke for once, outside of nutcase Allen.

Many teams have proven you don't need to go deep into a rotation to win a championship. 7 primary players will do. That being said, we have so many long, tall, athletic talented bodies, I cant imagine us not being someone they don't want to face either. Yeah they have 2 of the 10 best big men in the countrt next year, but we have 3 of the best forwards as well as 2 or 3 very good back ups. Between the 4 and 5 position, Richards, SKJ, Washington, Gabriel, Vanderbilt and even Wynyard mixed in for 5 fouls is plenty to handle them. All it takes is an injury or early foul trouble for one of them and theyre sunk. We have 6 bodies and 30 fouls to give. Lets do this. And while they worry about dealing with our stable of 5 star forwards, Diallo is going to be force feeding Allen his jock with dunks while Knox drains 3s from the corner.

you could argue the rankings/talent all day. just don't forget, we've had three different freshman backcourts, where the primary post player was also a freshman, make the final four since cal has been here. we've had two additional freshman backcourts, where the primary post player was also a freshman, come one game short. this is the youngest team ever and frankly cal loves these challenges and i think our guys could unite over the narrative that they are "runts" in a sport filled with experienced players. i think this team will flourish.

Duke has two guys more talented than anyone we have, and another two that are just as good as anyone we have.

We're deeper, but we're younger, and we lack transcendent talent. This recruiting class as a whole is weak, but grabbing 4 of the top 8 and returning Grayson Allen is a pretty darn good haul.

The best hope is that this class provides a foundation for a monster next season. Bring a handful of guys back, add 3-4 elite '18 guys and let's go get it.

We *can* win it this year, it's just not likely. Arizona, Duke and Michigan State are either more talented or more experienced or both. And we're definitely not good enough to overcome the draw and whistle we'll apparently get.

This is just not true. I will still take our roster and coach and fan base and everything else over what Duke has. You are wrong about this as a victim of our own success. Can anyone other than John Calipari take a team of Freshman and have a title contender every season? You are assuming that because another school recruits a team made up of first year players that they will have the same success as Kentucky has. No one that I can remember other than Steve Fisher has led a team of elite Freshman deep into March.

Do you really think what Cal does is easy? Just recruit 4-5 talented 18 year olds and roll the ball out? Duke is following the plan that Kentucky has used for 8 years now. That doesn't mean that Coach K can have the same results. Hell, Duke had a better roster last year and didn't get past the first weekend.

Cal has always recruited the right players. His kids buy into defense and team play. Duke has talent but will they defend and play for each other like Kentucky players do?
We have a deep, big and versatile team. This team could be an absolute defensive juggernaut.
I want to hear the media talk about how Kentucky and Cal does it when Duke doesn't.

from the eye test bagley the best for both teams, but, i will take knox, vando,diallo, wahington. over carter duval trent. they have allen and momma bolden..but we have richards skj gabriel green. we too deep and will platoon against them.

UK basketball always has heart, toughness and chemistry. They play without fear and are tournament ready come March. Can't measure that in recruiting. From what I've seen this group has it. Those traits win games and our fan base inspires those characteristics to be max.

UK basketball always has heart, toughness and chemistry. They play without fear and are tournament ready come March. Can't measure that in recruiting. From what I've seen this group has it. Those traits win games and our fan base inspires those characteristics to be max.
Way too early to have even a clue as to how the freshmen will play.
Also, Wenyen and Jones are two huge question marks.
If this team can become Cals best defensive team, then they have a chance to go deep.
Too many question marks as of now.

Reactions: crpoore
Come on, we can hate Allen, but he was a MVP, a top college player, and a real candidate as a Senior to be college player of the year. We don't have Lee in the post to block him and what I watch with Richards, he has a lot of work on defense to be in the right position. Maybe SKJ might be what he was supposed to be this season, but we have unproven talent, Duke has some proven talent. Let's hope our unproven are all we hope them to be.

Bagley makes Duke really good. But this is a year where Duke being good isnt as threatening. Michigan St and Arizona are also loaded with talent, and talent that has experience as opposed to Duke for once, outside of nutcase Allen.

Many teams have proven you don't need to go deep into a rotation to win a championship. 7 primary players will do. That being said, we have so many long, tall, athletic talented bodies, I cant imagine us not being someone they don't want to face either. Yeah they have 2 of the 10 best big men in the countrt next year, but we have 3 of the best forwards as well as 2 or 3 very good back ups. Between the 4 and 5 position, Richards, SKJ, Washington, Gabriel, Vanderbilt and even Wynyard mixed in for 5 fouls is plenty to handle them. All it takes is an injury or early foul trouble for one of them and theyre sunk. We have 6 bodies and 30 fouls to give. Lets do this. And while they worry about dealing with our stable of 5 star forwards, Diallo is going to be force feeding Allen his jock with dunks while Knox drains 3s from the corner.

Bagley should have gone to NC. Going to Duke just confirms his inability to handle the academics at a legitimate school. At NC he never would have to worry.

Come on, we can hate Allen, but he was a MVP, a top college player, and a real candidate as a Senior to be college player of the year. We don't have Lee in the post to block him and what I watch with Richards, he has a lot of work on defense to be in the right position. Maybe SKJ might be what he was supposed to be this season, but we have unproven talent, Duke has some proven talent. Let's hope our unproven are all we hope them to be.
who besides allen is proven talent?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT