ADVERTISEMENT

I’m Starting To Come Around To The View

It is getting more obvious that if there is any chance to hit that next level in the football program, Stoops ain't the guy. So, our options are, to settle for 6 or 7 wins a year, or roll the dice and change coaches? At 9 mil a year, we are not getting our money's worth. I say we go with the second option, because l have been saying since Stoops signed his contract extension last year, we can get 6 or 7 wins for 1/2 that price.
Mizzu got 11 wins for 5 million less. Stoops has recruited at a higher level than ever before here, but this year was a huge disappointment.

Mizzu got 11 wins for 5 million less. Stoops has recruited at a higher level than ever before here, but this year was a huge disappointment.
Agreed. After swearing off the Blue Kool Aid years ago, I got suckered in by the hype from Stoops and staff, and from social media postings on this board and elsewhere and allowed myself to believe we could win at least 9 and maybe 11 games this season.

I hope I’m wrong but I believe 7 wins is our ceiling for 2024.

It is getting more obvious that if there is any chance to hit that next level in the football program, Stoops ain't the guy. So, our options are, to settle for 6 or 7 wins a year, or roll the dice and change coaches? At 9 mil a year, we are not getting our money's worth. I say we go with the second option, because l have been saying since Stoops signed his contract extension last year, we can get 6 or 7 wins for 1/2 that price.
I do not know your age and I would like to get to the next level also. But, I am 68 and have seen the best and worst of UK football from the 60's and for the most part it has been the worst. Stoops has been pretty consistent, given us a boost in recruiting like never in our history, given us a couple of 10 win seasons. We can do alot worse, but, I will take my chances with Stoops. Prior to Stoops we were not even competing, at least teams respect us now.

Reactions: JC CATS
I am 61 and would like to see a new coach. Stoops has certainly elevated the program, but he has leveled off. I don't care how bad UK was in the past. UK was horrible because the administration wasn't funding the program adequately. That is not an excuse now. If Missouri can win 11 games including a bowl win over Ohio St, there is no excuse for UK to not be able to do that. UK had enough tallent to beat UT, USC and a depleted Clemson.

I got to see on my phone the last minute of the bowl game.

You knew it was about to get worse but it's like nobody on our team knew what to do to stop clemson's drive.

I hope we do well next year but man that schedule is looking rough.

You are correct. We all bleed blue and we all want to build the next football power. But you can’t paint on stripes and hope to be a tiger. A regime change is the absolute last thing we want right now.
I have always appreciated your takes over the years, even if I don't always agree with you, and I disagree with you on this.

I honestly believe a head coaching change is exactly what this program needs now. With Stoops' philosophy of playing not to lose, rather than playing to win, which is exactly what we witnessed yesterday, is why we need to seek someone with fire in their belly, as it were.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate what he's done, but I firmly believe he's taken us as far as he's capable of doing.

This season looks totally different with consistent QB play and a good edge rusher. Hopefully Vandagriff is an upgrade, and Fearbry and co. can take the next step

Reactions: Blouman
Agreed. After swearing off the Blue Kool Aid years ago, I got suckered in by the hype from Stoops and staff, and from social media postings on this board and elsewhere and allowed myself to believe we could win at least 9 and maybe 11 games this season.

I hope I’m wrong but I believe 7 wins is our ceiling for 2024.

You weren’t alone.

I agree with the 7 wins too

I do not know your age and I would like to get to the next level also. But, I am 68 and have seen the best and worst of UK football from the 60's and for the most part it has been the worst. Stoops has been pretty consistent, given us a boost in recruiting like never in our history, given us a couple of 10 win seasons. We can do alot worse, but, I will take my chances with Stoops. Prior to Stoops we were not even competing, at least teams respect us now.
I do agree with your evaluation of Stoops. Where I lost my support of him is based on Barnhart's decision to give him top ten coach paid money. That should raise expectations. He bumped his contact up to more than several coaches that have been to the college football playoffs.

Reactions: KYCAT78
Hopefully Stoops and staff will reflect on this season, good and bad and actually implement some changes. He showed alot of frustration at times this season (pony up, shots at fans etc), and we have seen the ability to produce 10 win seasons. But as others have pointed out, the road only gets tougher next season and beyond. Can't continue to run archaic defensive plays and stall ball anymore.

I have always appreciated your takes over the years, even if I don't always agree with you, and I disagree with you on this.

I honestly believe a head coaching change is exactly what this program needs now. With Stoops' philosophy of playing not to lose, rather than playing to win, which is exactly what we witnessed yesterday, is why we need to seek someone with fire in their belly, as it were.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate what he's done, but I firmly believe he's taken us as far as he's capable of doing.
If you’re making a change you better hope there is a stud coordinator out there for you because that’s what Kentucky would get. That’s a huge risk. It comes down to what I had posted earlier. Stoops has had 2 10 win seasons in the last 5 years. Who do you trust more to do it again? Stoops and his staff, or an incoming coordinator with his regime?

I appreciate the candor

In the brief period it looked like he was leaving, everyone was focused on Sumrall which is fine. He could be the guy. But given what we’re willing to spend on salary, we would have our choice of good candidates. We likely could’ve gone out and gotten Elko if we’d wanted.

You are correct. We all bleed blue and we all want to build the next football power. But you can’t paint on stripes and hope to be a tiger. A regime change is the absolute last thing we want right now.
Don’t include me in the “we”. I am ready for a change tomorrow. Stoops will never change and has hit his ceiling. There are others out there that could be at least this successful. Screw Stoops.

I do agree with your evaluation of Stoops. Where I lost my support of him is based on Barnhart's decision to give him top ten coach paid money. That should raise expectations. He bumped his contact up to more than several coaches that have been to the college football playoffs.
I agree he is overpaid, but, so is Cal. Barnhart is the one that should be replaced because he is overpaying Stoops and Cal and the lifetime contract for Cal should have got him fired. Barnhart over reacts, Stoops has a 10 win season and what does he do, gives him a big raise because he is afraid he will leave. Hell we could have kept Bear Bryant for a Cadillac.

First time Texas smashes us 60-3 the reality of the new SEC will have set in.
Texas has made the playoffs including BCS I believe twice. They have fired multiple Coach's in this period because of bad performance. I am sure I have forgotten, but, over last 15 years Texas has maybe won Big8 3 times. Sarkisian is good and I am sure Texas will be good with him as Coach, but if Georgia cannot beat us 60-3 then Texas will not. Many years between 1960 and now we were beat by 45 points regularly. At least under Stoops we do not have many of those. UK does not have the foundation to support NIL at the level we are going to need to make it to next level. Without big NIL money we will never get the big name Coach so we would have to luck into somebody like TN. got.

Reactions: CatPatrick13
If you’re making a change you better hope there is a stud coordinator out there for you because that’s what Kentucky would get. That’s a huge risk. It comes down to what I had posted earlier. Stoops has had 2 10 win seasons in the last 5 years. Who do you trust more to do it again? Stoops and his staff, or an incoming coordinator with his regime?

I appreciate the candor
I readily admit I don't have anyone in mind, and I can understand you and others who think we should keep Stoops; I just think he's taken this program as far as he can.

Yes, I am willing to take a chance on a coaching change, but I will continue to support Stoops regardless.

I took appreciate the candor and civility; it's often in short supply.

Reactions: law1127
I readily admit I don't have anyone in mind, and I can understand you and others who think we should keep Stoops; I just think he's taken this program as far as he can.

Yes, I am willing to take a chance on a coaching change, but I will continue to support Stoops regardless.

I took appreciate the candor and civility; it's often in short supply.
This is hard to to talk about but I believe it to be true. Stoops has taken Kentucky as far as he can. 10 wins in the ceiling. But this isn’t stoops ceiling. It’s Kentucky footballs ceiling. Realistically I think this is the best it’s gonna get. Is it possible to do a little better? Sure. But it’s unlikely. With all his faults, stoops has achieved more than I originally thought was possible. This is the golden age of Kentucky football. You can dump the start and start over but the next person will do no better and probably worse actually

Reactions: Docpath1972
This is hard to to talk about but I believe it to be true. Stoops has taken Kentucky as far as he can. 10 wins in the ceiling. But this isn’t stoops ceiling. It’s Kentucky footballs ceiling. Realistically I think this is the best it’s gonna get. Is it possible to do a little better? Sure. But it’s unlikely. With all his faults, stoops has achieved more than I originally thought was possible. This is the golden age of Kentucky football. You can dump the start and start over but the next person will do no better and probably worse actually
See, I can't get on board with that way of thinking when you have schools like Arizona and other perrinial football doormats becoming very good.

I also think it's a moot point given Stoops' contract. Appreciate the back and forth.

See, I can't get on board with that way of thinking when you have schools like Arizona and other perrinial football doormats becoming very good.

I also think it's a moot point given Stoops' contract. Appreciate the back and forth.
Of course I’m gonna say that Arizona isn’t in the sec. Kentucky and Missouri are nearly identical though. Both can have amazing years. But it won’t be the norm.

Stoops has a contract, same as cal and it offers them protection. Both are nowhere even close to having hot seats. You are right. It’s all moot

Reactions: wildcatwelder
For those that think we would have to settle for a "risky"
coordinator, I think we could get a better one than what
Stoops was when he came here. What was he, One season
as coordinator at FSU? I don't think it would be that big
of a risk to take a guy that has been a coordinator for a
few seasons at a major program and who has shown good
results on his side of the field. They're out there.

If 10 wins is UK's ceiling, how to you explain Missouri having the season they had this year? Missouri doesn't recruit as well as UK.

If 10 wins is UK's ceiling, how to you explain Missouri having the season they had this year? Missouri doesn't recruit as well as UK.
Missouri is having Kentucky’s year from
2 years ago (we actually did it twice). Don’t forget that we have absolutely owned Missouri for close to a decade. Wake me up when they sustain this success for the next 5 years. Otherwise, uk and Missouri are essentially twins.

This may be the most well thought out post on the board..... so many factors to consider, but..... one year is not a trend, and teams are going to be the new shiny toy every once in a while. However UK's rise in football is a trend, not a one year occurrence. Is Stoops overpaid? Yes. Does he make lousy decisions on the field? Yes. With us, there is no room for error in our game if we want to be victorious. Look, we play in a tough neighborhood, with resources that are below average in that neighborhood. I enjoy playing in that neighborhood and the money that comes with it. Looking forward to the 2024 season with a new QB and some playmakers on offense that don't give the opponent the ball on our 30 yard line!!!!! Go Cats!

Reactions: Rockfly78
You need to realize that you/we are not taking a chance with Stoops. He & his teams are known quantities. 10-3 to 7-6 are all in the same range with a few players & plays here & there making those numbers different. There should be no expectation of a step change from this.

You need to realize that you/we are not taking a chance with Stoops. He & his teams are known quantities. 10-3 to 7-6 are all in the same range with a few players & plays here & there making those numbers different. There should be no expectation of a step change from this.
There won’t be a change. The contract is what it is and Barnhart wouldn’t dare…his MO is only to make the move when there is no other perceivable way out.

While stoops has been to 10 and yes that is an absolute accomplishment, it’s that he’s not getting back to a 9 win season. The circumstances that led to those seasons don’t exist anymore and none of his recent program decisions and hires suggests he’s more interested in a comfortable working environment than stretching for growth. The coaches he beat by just allowing them to make more poor decisions than us are long gone.

I’m not arguing that there’s anything to do with stoops right now anyway. A couple of seasons into this new phase of football are going to tell. But I am frustrated that we are doing battle with a guy stuck in mud in a sport seemingly evolving week by week.

9+1 is 10. A ten win season is a ten win season. Why diminish it? You get your last win against a quality team in a bowl game. History remembers victories, not circumstances.
Because 9 wins don't get you in the new playoff and 10 likely does with uk's schedule.... Get it??

Maybe I’m reading too much into it, but I thought Stoops acted deflated in the game interviews. And after the game he just didn’t seem to act like himself.

Stoops had been pounding his chest about winning streaks agains Miz and SC. Well those have flipped now. UL streak is really all he has going along with a way down Florida team . He loses that one and I think the rumblings get really loud. They should be already. We have gone from Stoops has one clunker game a year now to at least 2. Not headed in a good direction imho.

Stoops had been pounding his chest about winning streaks agains Miz and SC. Well those have flipped now. UL streak is really all he has going along with a way down Florida team . He loses that one and I think the rumblings get really loud. They should be already. We have gone from Stoops has one clunker game a year now to at least 2. Not headed in a good direction imho.
Can be beat his chest over the 3 in a row against Florida?

I also wouldn’t say the streaks agains usc and Missouri has flipped. USC has got us a couple in a row. But Missouri just has one. We are still owning those series.

I’m not gonna say stoops is the greatest and can do no wrong. But let’s be fair

Reactions: gojvc
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT