ADVERTISEMENT

I’m riding with Mark Pope

I'm supporting him, He knows the situation he's in and he thinks he can do the job. We have to give him a chance. The program will be in good hands and the type of player he recruits will be playing for Kentucky without promises for playing time with one foot out the door. Big name coaches come with huge egos and a lot of baggage and are expensive as hell, as we know. Pope is a Wildcat and understands the job and its expectations. It's a new day for Kentucky basketball and he wants to win as bad as we do.

Reactions: sam_o and KFuqua
I think everyone understands this wasn’t what needed to happen. But we are in the position of either pissing and moaning about it or giving Mark Pope a fair shake. That’s up to each individual to decide.
This is the perfect way to put it. You play the cards you've been dealt with, so hop on the train or get off the tracks.

Reactions: sam_o
Pope is not an A plus hire, but I am not sure there are many who would be in all the criteria. To preface my thoughts, I am not just a whoever is fine type of fellow. I did not like it when we hired Sutton or Billy Clyde. I was fifty/fifty with Cal because I knew he could recruit but it should have been obvious that he was not going to be a Kentucky first kind of coach. We were getting a super star who wanted to make his own legacy, not a person who cared about improving Kentucky.

Back to our subject, the others mentioned earlier were more proven, but it is not like they were perfect candidates. I have been watching Kentucky basketball for over 45 years and have seen our ups and downs. In three years from now, I sense that Pope will prove that this was the right decision by Mitch. Yes, I have questions and concerns like others, but I see a lot of upside with Pope. He can coach. He has the personality to be here. He wants this job, not just the money or fame.

Absolutely. I have no question Mark Pope loves this program and is going to do all he can for us to hang banners. Mitch is putting him in a VERY tough spot. Everyone should unite behind him and try and support him and hopefully he can make this happen.

I doubt that happens, but it should. Direct the ire at Mitch, not Mark.
I dont think Pope thinks he in a tough spot. I think he knows he has struck gold. His assistant coaches will get UK recruits and these recruits will know who they are playing for, the BBN.

I'm supporting him, He knows the situation he's in and he thinks he can do the job. We have to give him a chance. The program will be in good hands and the type of player he recruits will be playing for Kentucky without promises for playing time with one foot out the door. Big name coaches come with huge egos and a lot of baggage and are expensive as hell, as we know. Pope is a Wildcat and understands the job and its expectations. It's a new day for Kentucky basketball and he wants to win as bad as we do.
Ditto, ditto, and ditto. Thinking Coach will fail is saying the BBN will fail. Wont happen based on past history. Every bad thing these media types say about the Nation is pure envy.

Love Pope, his attitude, playing style, recruiting effort, his love for UK and on and on. I'm supporting him all the way. Great to be this excited for UK basketball again.

Reactions: NociHTTP
Pope has reenergized the fans and has the passion and drive to really get this engine humming. You’re damn right, I’m on his wagon. Think he’s absolutely gonna kill it.

Reactions: NociHTTP
7da155ae-d7c3-40e2-8bf3-caeba4bf7912_text.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT