ADVERTISEMENT

I’m riding with Mark Pope

sam_o

All-American
Gold Member
Nov 30, 2005
For years, we have all said we wanted a coach that would put the program first. We have said we want a coach that runs offense that has constant motion and movement. We have said we want to stop being a farm team for the NBA. We want a guy who is passionate and loves this program.

Mark Pope is all of that. Should he have been offered the job this soon? No. But is he a good basketball coach? Yes. Does he love this school?? Yes. Do I believe he will do everything he can for us to be successful? Absolutely yes.

I am riding with the Pope man. It’s not an A+ hire and I know not everyone is on board right now. But he is our guy and he’s one of us. We can be angry and upset with Mitch, but we should all get behind Mark and support him. It’s not his fault he’s being offered his dream job.

The Pope Man cometh.

For years, we have all said we wanted a coach that would put the program first. We have said we want a coach that runs offense that has constant motion and movement. We have said we want to stop being a farm team for the NBA. We want a guy who is passionate and loves this program.

Mark Pope is all of that. Should he have been offered the job this soon? No. But is he a good basketball coach? Yes. Does he love this school?? Yes. Do I believe he will do everything he can for us to be successful? Absolutely yes.

I am riding with the Pope man. It’s not an A+ hire and I know not everyone is on board right now. But he is our guy and he’s one of us. We can be angry and upset with Mitch, but we should all get behind Mark and support him. It’s not his fault he’s being offered his dream job.

The Pope Man cometh.
The playing style gets an A+ in my book, I'm certainly open to giving Pope a chance. We all understand that wins and losses are only part of the story when considering why the Calipari era ended. It will also be refreshing to see some roster continuity from season to season. Pope will respect the fanbase and not speak to us like we are hicks from the sticks also, which will be quite refreshing.

Pope wants to be here; he recognizes that UK fans are passionate and knowledgeable about basketball. I hope he succeeds because I love my program, and if he doesn't, I'm prepared to accept that outcome as well.

The playing style gets an A+ in my book, and I'm certainly open to giving Pope a chance. We all understand that wins and losses are only part of the story when considering why the Calipari era ended. It will also be refreshing to see some roster continuity from season to season. Pope will respect the fanbase and not speak to us like we are hicks from the sticks also, which will be quite refreshing.

Pope wants to be here; he recognizes that UK fans are passionate and knowledgeable about basketball. I hope he succeeds because I love my program, and if he doesn't, I'm prepared to accept that outcome as well.
Absolutely. I have no question Mark Pope loves this program and is going to do all he can for us to hang banners. Mitch is putting him in a VERY tough spot. Everyone should unite behind him and try and support him and hopefully he can make this happen.

I doubt that happens, but it should. Direct the ire at Mitch, not Mark.

The playing style gets an A+ in my book, I'm certainly open to giving Pope a chance. We all understand that wins and losses are only part of the story when considering why the Calipari era ended. It will also be refreshing to see some roster continuity from season to season. Pope will respect the fanbase and not speak to us like we are hicks from the sticks also, which will be quite refreshing.

He is 100% not John Calipari, that’s a good start

My god people will believe anything that makes them feel better.

Kentucky basketball is a laughingstock
I don’t believe anything to make myself feel better. Everything I said in my post is true.

Should Pope have been offered this job? No. Is it his fault? No. Is he a former title winning player that loves this school? Yes.

You can say all the hyperbolic statements you want, if having your emotional temper tantrum makes you feel better. Just direct that at the AD and not the head coach.

I’m excited for him. He actually runs a good offense. Hopefully they give him a lot of NIL money and let him go get players. I feel that is the one thing that might bring guys here. Plus, he might be able to keep Reed, Ugo and Burks. That would be a good start. Hell, Adou may even come back.

Thank God, some positive vibes. The amount of people go through a mid-life crisis om this board is embarrassing. It's simple to me. Support the team or don't. I'll support Pope until I know for sure he's not the right fit.
Mark deserves the chance to do this. He’s earned that. Whether he can remains to be seen, but he should be given the chance to succeed here.

The Pope Man cometh.
Put me on the Pope train.

Am I more excite about this hire that going into Cal year 16? Absolutely!

Good God, people. It didn't have to be this hire. We are Kentucky Basketball, grow a pair of nuts. Some of you will bend over and accept whatever Mitch gives you.

Good God, people. It didn't have to be this hire. We are Kentucky Basketball, grow a pair of nuts. Some of you will bend over and accept whatever Mitch gives you.
I think everyone understands this wasn’t what needed to happen. But we are in the position of either pissing and moaning about it or giving Mark Pope a fair shake. That’s up to each individual to decide.

I think everyone understands this wasn’t what needed to happen. But we are in the position of either pissing and moaning about it or giving Mark Pope a fair shake. That’s up to each individual to decide.

Fair enough. I just feel like we are giving in to an awful hire. And no, I'm not bashing Pope. This has absolutely nothing to do with him, and everything to do with Mitch.

Fair enough. I just feel like we are giving in to an awful hire. And no, I'm not bashing Pope. This has absolutely nothing to do with him, and everything to do with Mitch.
I agree with you on Mitch.

Do you KNOW what you have to endure to play at BYU??? I am amazed that he has fielded competitive teams in the Big 12. He can coach, he’s not a blowhard full of catch phrases and euphemisms, he is young enough to get out on the court and provide useful instruction. From my CAT perch, I see a dearth of Kentucky lineage coaches available. Pope has clearly had the most success. It coulda been a lot worse…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT