ADVERTISEMENT

I’m not calling the Coach’s Show, Because I Don’t Care What the Answers Are.

The-Hack

All-American
Oct 1, 2016
Like many in here, I played a little football.

Yeah.

Exactly one full season. A bad concussion at practice chilled my parents for signing me up for more.

So, comparatively speaking, I’m football illiterate.

But several folks in seats next to/near to me in the stadium played high school and some college ball.

And these guys were having open conversations pointing out the man coverage of Barion Brown without a high safety. To the extent that we all saw it, several times, with just a 5/6 yard cushion by the Cornerback. Sure, the Corner might cock-block BB within 5 yards, or Barion might drop a pass, or Brock might short-arm a pass, but it worked against man coverage without a deep safety at Ole Miss, and under huge pressure on the road.

On one such play, Brock threw a 10/11 yard button hook to Dane who was knocked OOB’s by the safety was was playing over-the-top on his side.

Losing football games does not kill me. Hell, I’ve lived with Kentucky football A LONG TIME.

But when you hear young women point out obvious sh!t on the field of play, presumably young women who have never played football, it tends to sour your stomach.

I’d love to ask why we never took a shot that the defense was allowing, but I don’t care what the answer is. Because there is no good answer. It happened on at least three successive plays in the first half. If Brock didn’t see it the first time, he has a radio receiver, and Hamdan should have/could have told him to take a glance at the press, single coverage on Barion to the LEFT, after having failed to see it on prior snaps.

Losing doesn’t kill me: but missing blatant and obvious opportunities boils my blood!

I don't put that stuff on BV, there's a whole press box full of assistants, assistants to the assistants, QA, GA to catch stuff like that. Maybe they caught it but failed to convey, maybe they caught it but failed to communicate it. Maybe they were playing grab ass and missed it all together. Who knows? I just know if I'm Stoops, after that mess Sat night, I'm having one very serious "come to Jesus meeting" with my staff.

I don't put that stuff on BV, there's a whole press box full of assistants, assistants to the assistants, QA, GA to catch stuff like that. Maybe they caught it but failed to convey, maybe they caught it but failed to communicate it. Maybe they were playing grab ass and missed it all together. Who knows? I just know if I'm Stoops, after that mess Sat night, I'm having one very serious "come to Jesus meeting" with my staff.
While the staff may and likely is an issue, the QB and his lack of pocket presence and ability to consistently deliver the football is absolutely also an issue if not the biggest issue. Dude does not look off his first option. Over and over again. So unless you call the play to Brown as the first option, it’s on BV to recognize coverage, especially when he comes to the line.

Reactions: catben
Brock Vanderpuff most definitely shares some of the blame. He is basically Leary 2.0 or worse since Leary seemed to be able to make something out of nothing every so often.

At this point just run Wimsatt in the triple option flexbone / play action / wing-T and call it a day. It can't be worse than watching Vanderpuff and his noodle arm throw five yard darts into the turf.

Hell, if things go any further south then just get wild and give Cutter a shot.

Last edited:
Brock Vanderpuff most definitely shares some of the blame. He is basically Leary 2.0 or worse since Leary seemed to be able to make something out of nothing every so often.

At this point just run Wimsatt in the triple option flexbone / play action / wing-T and call it a day. It can't be worse than watching Vanderpuff and his noodle arm throw five yard darts into the turf.

Hell, if things go any further south then just get wild and give Cutter a shot.
He's a wobbler for sure. Have only saw a few spirals from him.

Reactions: FirewithFire

Yeah.

Exactly one full season. A bad concussion at practice chilled my parents for signing me up for more.

But several folks in seats next to/near to me in the stadium played high school and some college ball.

And these guys were having open conversations pointing out the man coverage of Barion Brown without a high safety. To the extent that we all saw it, several times, with just a 5/6 yard cushion by the Cornerback. Sure, the Corner might cock-block BB within 5 yards, or Barion might drop a pass, or Brock might short-arm a pass, but it worked against man coverage without a deep safety at Ole Miss, and under huge pressure on the road.

On one such play, Brock threw a 10/11 yard button hook to Dane who was knocked OOB’s by the safety was was playing over-the-top on his side.

Losing football games does not kill me. Hell, I’ve lived with Kentucky football A LONG TIME.

But when you hear young women point out obvious sh!t on the field of play, presumably young women who have never played football, it tends to sour your stomach.

I’d love to ask why we never took a shot that the defense was allowing, but I don’t care what the answer is. Because there is no good answer. It happened on at least three successive plays in the first half. If Brock didn’t see it the first time, he has a radio receiver, and Hamdan should have/could have told him to take a glance at the press, single coverage on Barion to the LEFT, after having failed to see it on prior snaps.

Losing doesn’t kill me: but missing blatant and obvious opportunities boils my blood!

I dont think there is 1 absolute answer to what you are asking. I just know there are several that can fit. BV doesn't have the trust/skill to read defenses and is told where to go with the ball or run it. BV doesn't have the trust in BB to make him a priority target, or BV just doesn't see the field very well or trust what he is seeing. You have to know that reading defenses wasn't a requirement in HS he just threw to his top target who had oner 100 catches and number 2 had less than 2.

I don't blame BV. I blame those that thought he was a good option and/or left him as the best of not good options. Why do we suffer so much at QB?

Yeah.

I've been on this rant all year about Brock holding the ball. Part of the rant is about why in the hell we dont seem to have any flat or underneath checkdowns for him. The other is why in the hell dont we teach/instruct that when he sees man coverage (and I dont care who the WR is) get the ball out of your hands and give the guy a shot at making a play!!!

Brock seems to always be looking for daylight before releasing it and that rarely happens on man coverage, but it's not necessary either! The pressure is on the DB to defend that without fouling. And the throw doesnt have to be perfect, hell an underthrown ball is better because the WR always has the advantage of adjusting before the DB. The fact that we watch him stand there scannig the field over and over and over and over again without releasing it tells me he's not being coached up to know how to attack man coverage. So damn frustrating to watch. And here's the real burner!!! He does this on third downs where we dont even give a damn if it picked off down field!!! Theres nothing to lose!!! . . .. . where's the Tylenol!!!

Reactions: catben
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT