ADVERTISEMENT

I’m not a referee basher, but….we are in trouble

Says us and every other team's fanbase. Lord, I hate the constant ref excuses. Can it matter? Of course. Does every other team say the exact same shit? Yes. It's not really a conspiracy when every team gets to use the excuse.
Yeah, hard disagree. We got screwed over in 2017. Period.

Reactions: jrpross
No you shouldn’t. But for my entire life that’s been the expectation for UK for most teams from the ACC. And despite that we still were second in titles and #1 in all time wins for most of my life.

Unfortunately, life isn’t always fair. We can sit and around and mope about it or we can work our tails off to overcome it. That’s what my coaches told me when we faced a bad whistle. Although, they used more colorful language.
See, my only argument against that is, the 2017 worked their tails off and deserved that title. They were robbed And you definitely don't have to tell me life isn't fair. But that's why we have things like sports. To create a literal playing field with rules to give everyone a competitive chance. It's supposed to be a chance to create some fun balance to where even if life sucks, you can control a little bit of it with rules.

Sadly, Murica loves a cheater.

Adams hasn’t been that bad recently but the way we are playing they will probably bring the rooferee back. lol

See, my only argument against that is, the 2017 worked their tails off and deserved that title. They were robbed And you definitely don't have to tell me life isn't fair. But that's why we have things like sports. To create a literal playing field with rules to give everyone a competitive chance. It's supposed to be a chance to create some fun balance to where even if life sucks, you can control a little bit of it with rules.

Sadly, Murica loves a cheater.
I agree with you about 2017, but I actually think 2017 only proves my point that the officials and NCAA have an ACC bias.

I think we share more common ground on this than not.

Reactions: bbncal02
Three of those on dead ball time, within 10 seconds. That was probably the most ridiculous "I'm in charge" BS I've seen in awhile.
I coached middle school ball once and had a ref pull a stunt like that. A player hacked one of my guys so hard you could hear the skin on skin slapping sound all over the gym causing him to lose the ball out of bounds. I questioned how he could miss something that blatant right in front of him and I guess it made him mad. He called 3 fouls on my team for playing defense while the other team was just trying to inbound the ball to prove a point that he was in charge. I finally told him I had 14 kids on the team and at 5 fouls each he better take a deep breath because he was going to have to blow that whistle 70 times because we would burn every foul if he wanted to be that petty. After calling 2 more quick fouls he realized I wasn't joking and stopped. 🤣

Reactions: bbncal02
I coached middle school ball once and had a ref pull a stunt like that. A player hacked one of my guys so hard you could hear the skin on skin slapping sound all over the gym causing him to lose the ball out of bounds. I questioned how he could miss something that blatant right in front of him and I guess it made him mad. He called 3 fouls on my team for playing defense while the other team was just trying to inbound the ball to prove a point that he was in charge. I finally told him I had 14 kids on the team and at 5 fouls each he better take a deep breath because he was going to have to blow that whistle 70 times because we would burn every foul if he wanted to be that petty. After calling 2 more quick fouls he realized I wasn't joking and stopped. 🤣
That's why it's good to have a "Ware" type player on your team. If you've got the fouls to give, put that dude in and make him call it. Two can play that game.

I know that UK fans for decades have said certain refs were out to get us etc. I am not saying there arent certain refs over the years that potentially had it out for us or any certain teams but its far more the infrequent than folks think. Most of these refs are trying to get promoted or at least keep their jobs. The grading even at the high school level in KY is fairly strict (or it used to be 10 years ago). I know and have known some mid to high level referees. Do they make mistakes? Yes. Are a small minority of them bias? Probably so, but its not as prevalent as you would think. We are watching a game from the top down and not floor level. ive onyl been involved in High school level, and even those kids are getting so athletic is tough to keep angles correct. I cant imagine at the D-1 level. I always tell people , Go and work your way up, and learn all the rules, and start doing some high school games. you will find out quickly just how hard of a job that is, all the while getting screamed and cursed at and threatened. You also will find out that literally 95% of the fans out there dont know the rules of basketball. They know some of them, but they dont know them in the context of the actual game. Im not taking up for Ref`s because there are some bone heads out there. But it is rare that one is lacing up his shoes saying " Im really going to put it to UK today"!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT