ADVERTISEMENT

I’m gonna say it. Mark Pope 2024 SEC COY

Kybluedude

All-SEC
Nov 19, 2005
After hearing players like Carr and Almonor I’m predicting a SEC COY award for CMP.

Just seems to have “it” to me. Never seen anyone work as tirelessly and 24/7 and enjoy it. Bringing in former players and coaches shows he welcomed UK’s great history and inputs it into his guys.

It’s not just his coaching but his awareness.

I know it’s a small thing but watching him stop and thank a Rupp Arena employee for opening the door for him impressed me in this day of inflated coaches’ egos. Shows an awareness and down to earth approach to life. Dude works extremely hard. Systemically put together a roster which he just said was exactly what he envisioned.

The maturity of this team combined with what Kelvin Samson said was a difficult scheme to defend is going to be hard to handle. Plus the BBN is going to propel this team.

I watched his teams at BYU and was always impressed despite their inherent flaws.

I like the team and coach!

Fresh start for all of us.

Beat Herros to the prediction!

After hearing players like Carr and Almonor I’m predicting a SEC COY award for CMP.

Just seems to have “it” to me. Never seen anyone work as tirelessly and 24/7 and enjoy it. Bringing in former players and coaches shows he welcomed UK’s great history and inputs it into his guys.

I know it’s a small thing but watching him stop and thank a Rupp Arena employee for opening the door for him impressed me in this day of inflated coaches’ egos. Shows an awareness and down to earth approach to life. Dude works extremely hard. Systemically put together a roster which he just said was exactly what he envisioned.

The maturity of this team combined with what Kelvin Samson said was a difficult scheme to defend is going to be hard to handle. Plus the BBN is going to propel this team.

I watched his teams at BYU and was always impressed despite their inherent flaws.

Fun fact: Joe B. Hall, Eddie Sutton, Rick Pitino, Tubby Smith, Billy Gillispie, and John Calipari were all SEC COYs during their first seasons at UK.

I think Pope understands that Kentucky Basketball has lacked toughness lately. And honestly, lacked game planning and good coaching. He will do everything in his power to make sure that changes and that excites me. I’m just really looking forward to watching a team that is tough and prepared and actually has a game plan

I can see COY. It's not like we haven't any talent or experience. Sure the SEC is brutal but that non-con schedule will gain the guys confidence. This isn't like that one year in football under Curry where we had the "black watch" defense and preseason the players were talking running the table. Everyone knew that wasn't happening because we weren't very talented and deep. This basketball team is the most experienced team we've had pre-Cal and they're damn good players as well. We're deep at every position and the offense will be the most structured in quite some time. It's going to be nice to see some actual coaching and not having guys "go make a play" which had been our identity.

I would say he just needs to just keep UK in the top25 all year, get to a 4 seed and maybe pull an upset in the 2nd weekend of the tournament (getting an elite 8). If he can do that, or surpass it, he's going to be in the running for sure, especially with a brand new team at UK in his 1st year.

If he gets UK back to a final 4, it's a wrap.

Reactions: RunninRichie

I’m going to go ahead and say it…If you hit a midget over the head with a shovel, he will turn into 40 gold coins.

It's like our fans don't realize the other teams coaches work hard too. Cal is an outlier.

The sec is gonna be brutal this season and every season going forward. If pope gets COY he will for sure have earned it.
It’s not like the complete package here. Some fans don’t realize the impetus that the tradition, fan interest, facilities and high expectations provide UK.

Nobody can match those how those attributes push UK and they are super ramped up with the new coach. CMP is using them to the fullest.

Reactions: KFuqua and NociHTTP
I actually hate that the SEC is strong now. It does us no favors. The SEC was wickedly strong last season, and we still lost in the first round.

Historically, some of our best teams have dominated a weak SEC and went on to play well in the tournament. Let me be clear, the SEC in those years still had dominant teams (Arkansas in the early 90s; Mississippi State and Georgia in the mid-90s; etc.), but it was a top heavy league. UK was still incredible nationally, even though they played in an overall weaker league: 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2010, 2012, 2015, etc.

I don't like Tennessee's consistent strength, and I absolutely do not like Alabama's resurgence. I want the SEC to be crappy again, with maybe four good teams at the top. The parity won't help UK in the long run. It just means more losses and less overall wins in the all-time wins column.

If we finish Top-3 in the league after losing 100% of our scoring, 100% of our rebounding, 100% of our assists and 100% of our coaching staff, I would say he should be a unanimous COY, probably nationally.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT