ADVERTISEMENT

Hypothetical—Saint John’s knocked out

BlueSince92

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2008
And we keep going deeper. Would Rick want to join Mark on the sidelines? The way Mark talks you’d definitely have to think he’d at least consider that offer if Rick made it.

On one hand, obviously, Pope is the guy who developed the whole system along with his assistants and enhanced it by that point and brought the players along and has their total trust by then. Otoh I don’t see how you could ask for a better “extra pair of eyes” or someone Mark trusts more himself to give extra insights and ideas live right in his ear as the action unfolds.

Also, and to keep this thread from becoming too much of a yelling contest between pro-Pitino and anti-Pitino, if he did do that, what would he say specifically? Little to say by that point in the season? Or Rick feeling the closest he’s felt to back in the saddle in thirty years and bubbling over with little tricks he’s been thinking about for Mark while falling asleep all season just on the off chance this happened? His offensive style here was great. And ballsy. But it was largely his defenses that were more subtle than they looked and tended to let him do more with less. What kind of ideas might he suggest, by then, based on what we think Pope will have both offensively and defensively? Other than “put a man in the ball!!” of course.

Sue me, I’d love to see it.

And we keep going deeper. Would Rick want to join Mark on the sidelines? The way Mark talks you’d definitely have to think he’d at least consider that offer if Rick made it.

On one hand, obviously, Pope is the guy who developed the whole system along with his assistants and enhanced it by that point and brought the players along and has their total trust by then. Otoh I don’t see how you could ask for a better “extra pair of eyes” or someone Mark trusts more himself to give extra insights and ideas live right in his ear as the action unfolds.

Also, and to keep this thread from becoming too much of a yelling contest between pro-Pitino and anti-Pitino, if he did do that, what would he say specifically? Little to say by that point in the season? Or Rick feeling the closest he’s felt to back in the saddle in thirty years and bubbling over with little tricks he’s been thinking about for Mark while falling asleep all season just on the off chance this happened? His offensive style here was great. And ballsy. But it was largely his defenses that more subtle than they looked and tended to let him do more with less. What kind of ideas might he suggest, by then, based on what we think Pope will have both offensively and defensively? Other than “put a man in the ball!!” of course.

I don’t ever see that happening. Has anyone ever added a coach from another team to help? No. Never. I don’t even believe it would be possible. NCAA rules. You can’t just put an extra coach on your bench. Rules allow for a certain number.

I don’t ever see that happening. Has anyone ever added a coach from another team to help? No. Never. I don’t even believe it would be possible. NCAA rules. You can’t just put an extra coach on your bench. Rules allow for a certain number.
I didn’t know that about him not being allowed on the bench. That makes sense. Thank you for being respectful.

Reactions: Fox2monk
No way in HELL would Pitino ever be an assistant coach. His ego wouldn't allow it.
Possibly. Or possibly it would be exactly his ego that would instead make him see it as him being the sage needed to lift his protégé to that level.

Obviously not possible anyway if the rules don’t allow it. But if we’re only talking about the motivation side of it… I don’t see how the ego thing’s supposed to be a barrier to him giving another man fatherly advice but not be a barrier to him attending another man’s Madness event. How would that work?

Also, and to keep this thread from becoming too much of a yelling contest between pro-Pitino and anti-Pitino, if he did do that, what would he say specifically? Little to say by that point in the season? Or Rick feeling the closest he’s felt to back in the saddle in thirty years and bubbling over with little tricks he’s been thinking about for Mark while falling asleep all season just on the off chance this happened? His offensive style here was great. And ballsy. But it was largely his defenses that were more subtle than they looked and tended to let him do more with less. What kind of ideas might he suggest, by then, based on what we think Pope will have both offensively and defensively? Other than “put a man in the ball!!” of course.

Rick isn’t my favorite person but if Pope hires him then ok. He could do worse, Cowl proved that, also it would drive Cowl bonkers (and his fan boys.). Your kinda talking me it to it. 😝

No way does Pitino ever become an assistant anywhere. I dont even think he'd agree to be an assistant for team USA in the olympics at this point.

Not on the sideline but I'm the crowd. He did that for his son when Richard had Minnesota in the NIT. He was yelling "Lob!" when the opponent was getting ready to throw one. Nolan Richardson did the same thing to us in the infamous UAB game.

Possibly. Or possibly it would be exactly his ego that would instead make him see it as him being the sage needed to lift his protégé to that level.

Obviously not possible anyway if the rules don’t allow it. But if we’re only talking about the motivation side of it… I don’t see how the ego thing’s supposed to be a barrier to him giving another man fatherly advice but not be a barrier to him attending another man’s Madness event. How would that work?
No way he’d be an assistant coach again IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT