ADVERTISEMENT

HS QB Recruitment and Development

Pelosigalore

Junior
Jan 31, 2017
IMO, High School QB recruitment and development is the biggest failure by far in the Stoops era. I guess there’s been some bad luck along the way with Drew Barker getting injured. This staff has not recruited and developed any QBs at all. We might have to go all the way back to Andre Woodson as the last one at UK.
Not good for long term success.

It has definitely been a weakness in recruiting. Here are the QB's that UK has signed out of HS under Stoops and their FBS stats:

Reese Phillips - 45 career yards of passing
Drew Barker - 747 career passing yards and 5 TD's
Gunner Hoak - 271 career passing yards and 3 TD's
Danny Clark - 0 career passing yards
Walker Wood - 15 career passing yards
Amani Gilmore - 0 career passing yards
Nik Scalzo - 0 career passing yards
Beau Allen - 132 career passing yards

That's really bad. I know that in the era of the immediate transfer, it's not as important. but damn that's bad.

It has definitely been a weakness in recruiting. Here are the QB's that UK has signed out of HS under Stoops and their FBS stats:

That's really bad. I know that in the era of the immediate transfer, it's not as important. but damn that's bad.
Outside of Drew Barker, that’s such a depressing list.

When you never REALLY commit to the passing game as a staff, you get half-assed results. There are reasons why the UK passing game has mostly sucked under Stoops, the least of which is "bad luck". Not saying they haven't had some. But 14 years in, if you really wanted to be able to throw the ball proficiently, you'd be doing it. And "YES", they've been terrible at developing HS QBs.

Reactions: Pelosigalore
If I was recruiting against us I would show that list to every QB recruit on my list. If you were a highly ranked QB prospect out of high school WHY would you come here. Besides his horrid game and clock management, its my biggest gripe about our coach. He doesnt even try to develop QBs and the proof is in the pudding. We have had one good actual QB and 1 serviceable one in 12 years. Most of the QBs he recruits rarely get a chance to play more than one or two series a year, as Stopos aversion to running up the score as well as offensive ineptitude, make it difficult to give the backups any reps.

If I was recruiting against us I would show that list to every QB recruit on my list. If you were a highly ranked QB prospect out of high school WHY would you come here. Besides his horrid game and clock management, its my biggest gripe about our coach. He doesnt even try to develop QBs and the proof is in the pudding. We have had one good actual QB and 1 serviceable one in 12 years. Most of the QBs he recruits rarely get a chance to play more than one or two series a year, as Stopos aversion to running up the score as well as offensive ineptitude, make it difficult to give the backups any reps.

I cant get $9 Million plus out of my head...

Honestly, this is one area where I can’t get too worked up. QBs are born to fail at the next level. Great HS QBs can’t crack it in college. All time college QBs can’t even make an NFL team as a backup.

Plus, our best QB by leaps and bounds was Stephen Johnson. A no-name JUCO.

The culture around the program has been terrible the past 5 years or so. That, above all else, is why Stoops is failing. A middling QB with a great O-line, stout defense, and workhorse RB can take us a long way. Obviously, developing some QBs will help, but our recruiting has been sufficient to be better than we’ve been.

Maybe the O-line is one area where the lack of success is directly related to poor evaluation.

Honestly, this is one area where I can’t get too worked up. QBs are born to fail at the next level. Great HS QBs can’t crack it in college. All time college QBs can’t even make an NFL team as a backup.

Plus, our best QB by leaps and bounds was Stephen Johnson. A no-name JUCO.

The culture around the program has been terrible the past 5 years or so. That, above all else, is why Stoops is failing. A middling QB with a great O-line, stout defense, and workhorse RB can take us a long way. Obviously, developing some QBs will help, but our recruiting has been sufficient to be better than we’ve been.

Maybe the O-line is one area where the lack of success is directly related to poor evaluation.
True, but zero QBs developed? The good programs develop them. But to your point, there’s a ton of other problems with the program for sure.

Gotta quit looking at the portal as a fix for all and pick some guys, develop them, and then let them compete. Then choose a guy and stick with him!

I guess I would argue most programs with great QBs rarely “develop” them. They stack the deck by recruiting tons of high profile recruits and some of them pan out. I can’t really think of a program that consistently “develops” their recruits in the way a program like UK would have to do without access to multiple 4 and 5* each recruiting cycle.

The Air Raid schools do it by completely turning the team over help the passing game succeed. It works, but at the expense of legitimate success.

I think our transfer portal work has also been more about culture failures than “development”.

Outside of Barker Houk and Allen, the rest were extreme reaches by the staff with little chance to make any significant impact

Gotta quit looking at the portal as a fix for all and pick some guys, develop them, and then let them compete. Then choose a guy and stick with him!
Not just the QB position.
The Big Blue Wall was built through HS recruiting and development.
Our current portal heavy O-line is not on the same level

When you never REALLY commit to the passing game as a staff, you get half-assed results. There are reasons why the UK passing game has mostly sucked under Stoops, the least of which is "bad luck". Not saying they haven't had some. But 14 years in, if you really wanted to be able to throw the ball proficiently, you'd be doing it. And "YES", they've been terrible at developing HS QBs.
Absolutely, it is a matter of desire and luck has little to do with the situation. One might say the Stoops era has typically produced "zero-assed" results in the passing game.

I guess I would argue most programs with great QBs rarely “develop” them. They stack the deck by recruiting tons of high profile recruits and some of them pan out. I can’t really think of a program that consistently “develops” their recruits in the way a program like UK would have to do without access to multiple 4 and 5* each recruiting cycle.

The Air Raid schools do it by completely turning the team over help the passing game succeed. It works, but at the expense of legitimate success.

I think our transfer portal work has also been more about culture failures than “development”.
Louisville?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT