ADVERTISEMENT

How much better will the team be when the two 7 foot guys return?

Cal has played small ball in Toronto, being forced to do so due to his two 7 foot centers being out with injuries. When they return what different looks will they give to the Cats? Certainly rim protection. And with the quickness and passing ability of the guards both Bigs should thrive in the interior. Just wondering what others think about the subject.
Thiero makes things happen. I believe he had one of the best plus/minuses on the team last week. My concern is that he gets pushed back on the depth chart and it makes us worse off.

Thiero makes things happen. I believe he had one of the best plus/minuses on the team last week. My concern is that he gets pushed back on the depth chart and it makes us worse off.
This is a concern. He’s a high motor guy that gets things done. We need him playing a lot, but that probably doesn’t happen with Bradshaw and Onyenso back. Bradshaw is a top 5 recruit and Onyenso is the rim protector Cal has dreamed of since WCS left.

But I hope Cal finds a way to use him some at the 4 spot. I think he brings a lot to the table.

Mitchell is a superior rebounder but these 4 games tell me that we need another strong rebounder in the paint with him. There were times when opponents were kicking our butts on the backboards. Not Mitchell's fault, just a consequence of playing teams with active bigs. Let's not kid ourselves. The players on Canada, Germany, and Africa are not SEC type players. They are from foreign leagues and FCS schools. When our team gets into its SEC schedule in January, there will not be any games this easy. Cal knows Mitchell can do a lot of things, but don't count on him for rebounds.
Cal knows Mitchell can do a lot of things, but he's not an aggressive rebounder.

Rebounding is also going to be an issue, even when Onyenso and/or Bradshaw return to the court. No one player is going to replace Tshiebwe’s dominance in that area. A team effort from the bigs, Mitchell, Thiero, Edwards and the smaller guards will be needed. And while Calipari said he liked Mitchell’s fight, he’s not the type to consistently get the tough rebounds this team will need. “Tre’s not that guy,” Calipari conceded.

Read more at: https://www.kentucky.com/sports/col...tball-men/article277461198.html#storylink=cpy

All depends upon whether Cal reverts to his historical force it to the big guy in the middle offense. Yes, that has often resulted in a lot of points but combined with turn-overs. i hope he convinces both their job is defense, rebounding, and good outlet passes (and rebounding for second opportunities on offense).
I don't think we will run anything through the post this year. Tre is better midrange out to the 3 than posting up. There is no need to try and rely on Ugo to get buckets when he is pretty raw offensively and we have polished shooters and scorers around him, and Bradshaw prefers to play a face up game.

We have really quick guards who should be able to stop those pesky straight line drives we've fallen prey to so often and if we do get beat we can funnel them into the shot blockers. I think Ugo's focus will be defense/block shots, rebounding, and put backs. Bradshaw will be defense/block shots, rebounding, and pulling their center out of the paint with a good midrange game.

Cal knows Mitchell can do a lot of things, but he's not an aggressive rebounder.

Rebounding is also going to be an issue, even when Onyenso and/or Bradshaw return to the court. No one player is going to replace Tshiebwe’s dominance in that area. A team effort from the bigs, Mitchell, Thiero, Edwards and the smaller guards will be needed. And while Calipari said he liked Mitchell’s fight, he’s not the type to consistently get the tough rebounds this team will need. “Tre’s not that guy,” Calipari conceded.

I feel like Tshiebwe got a lot of boards that would've been ours anyway last year. If you are only replacing, say, 10 RPGs per game, then Bradshaw and Onyenso will be able to do that. Edwards and Mitchell will be better than Livingston and Toppin in terms of rebounds as well.

Hard to say. It might mess up the flow of the offense.
I agree- from what I remember last yr, Ugo is slow and not sure if he has an outside shot vs him just standing in/around the lane and clogging it up for our guards/slashers- if he can't make an outside shot, when him and Theiro are both in the game then we have 2 guys who can't make an outside shot

I think once we get both bigs back, the rotation will be something like this at the 4 and 5 spots:

PF Mitchell(25)/Thiero(10)/Bradshaw(5)
C Bradshaw(20)/Onyenso(20)

That is if everyone is 100%.

Thiero might see more minutes early on as the big guys work their way back into game shape, get comfortable, etc.

And if either one or both bigs struggle, I think Cal could give Thiero more minutes as well.

A lot hinges on how well those two play. We just really don’t know what we have with either player.

You know what you get with Thiero and Mitchell, and that’s hustle and aggressiveness from Thiero and good shooting and passing from Mitchell.

But we do need at least one of the big guys to be able to give us good minutes. Going to be tough sledding in the SEC if Thiero and Mitchell have to pack us inside.
Will Theiro hurt us on offense because from what I have seen, he hustles, rebounds etc but cannot make many, if any outside shots so that will leave us 4 on 5 on offense.

Will Theiro hurt us on offense because from what I have seen, he hustles, rebounds etc but cannot make many, if any outside shots so that will leave us 4 on 5 on offense.
Thiero has a good handle for someone playing the 4 spot. He is aggressive attacking the basket off the dribble.

Hopefully that leads to some easy baskets and free throw attempts.

If not, it could be an issue. Offensively, the best bet is probably a Mitchell/Bradshaw combo.

Onyenso and Thiero are probably the weaker offensive players.

disgusted excuse me GIF
You are excused.

Back to the original point of the thread.

I think there's a very real chance we can't depend on Onyenso this year.

That being the case, I still like our potential rotation.

I think it could look like this:

C - Ivisic - Mitchell
F - Bradshaw - Thiero
F - Edwards - Reeves - Thiero
G - Reeves - Sheppard
G - Wagner - Dillingham

That's plenty of depth. You have the 6'9" Burks if you need a 3/4 in a pinch. Edwards is willing to play some 4. Mitchell looked good as a stretch 5.

Onyenso gives you good depth, but I'm glad we no longer have to depend on him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT