ADVERTISEMENT

How many wins should the fans expect this year?

How many wins do you expect this year?

• 25 or more

• 20 or more

• 16 or more

• lest than 16

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm going to go the high end on the basis it should be one of, if not the best, shooting team in the country. I worry a little bit about lack of overwhelming athleticism that Cal relied on and that honestly, I don't see in what little I've seen from this group but good spacing, passing, and shooting will make up for that and then some. Also, this will be of the oldest teams we have had so that's a plus, they just haven't done it together. Hopefully, they can pick up defense quickly and right now from BBM and other UK videos, chemistry looks good. So far, so good until we lose a game or two and we start picking things apart.

UK plays fourteen teams ranked in KenPom's top 50 and ten teams ranked in the AP Top 25 (and they play Alabama and Tennessee twice). Regardless of what you think of KenPom and the AP, that's still absolutely brutal. So temper your expectations and give Coach Pope time to settle in and find his groove, because he very well not do it this season.

Reactions: UKortho
I expect a better season than the last several UK seasons. I expect this team to be at least as good as Pope's BYU team. So I am expecting at least 23 wins and at least a couple tournament wins.

I expect a better season than the last several UK seasons. I expect this team to be at least as good as Pope's BYU team. So I am expecting at least 23 wins and at least a couple tournament wins.
Even though we didn't finish, last seasons team won 23, year before 22. So you do not make too much sense.
So your "better than the last several UK seasons" is a little confusing.
21-22 season 26 wins
22-23 season 22 wins
23-24 season 23 wins (with wins over #9 UNC, @ UF, @#13 Auburn, Final 4 team #3 Alabama, @ #4 Tenn.

I will bet any amount you want to lose, we do not win more than last years team, or win as many big games. ( beat 4 top 10 teams).

Not that I am defending Cal, it is just this team this year has so many unknowns and will take time to adjust to each other. So do not act like the last 3 years WIN total (not tournament success) was a bad 3 year run. As a matter of fact, you picked the number 23 as wins we should get, but then say better than the last several years ?????? 23 is not greater than 23 or 26. Simple math.

"as good as last years BYU team" They went 23-11 / 10-8 in the Big 12.
Wins v/s ranked opponents :
#17 SD State
#24 Iowa State
#11 Baylor
#8 Kansas

1(ONE) win v/s a top 10 team. So do not be too quick to pretend that BYU last year was better than UK. I said UK will win 20-21 this year. I hope we win more than 23, but with the tough rebuild of the roster and new faces, I am not anticipating that. To me, a good year would be 20-21 wins, Sweet 16. Anything above that would be exceptional. My prediction has nothing to do with Mark pope, but having to do with the roster and tough SEC schedule.

Considering that we are going to play 12 ranked teams plus UL , Ohio State and Clemson , 20 plus seems about right.

Just think how many it could have been with our 2 top ten draft picks starting every half.
You bennies think you know so much. Stop watching game film.

Even though we didn't finish, last seasons team won 23, year before 22. So you do not make too much sense.
So your "better than the last several UK seasons" is a little confusing.
21-22 season 26 wins
22-23 season 22 wins
23-24 season 23 wins (with wins over #9 UNC, @ UF, @#13 Auburn, Final 4 team #3 Alabama, @ #4 Tenn.

I will bet any amount you want to lose, we do not win more than last years team, or win as many big games. ( beat 4 top 10 teams).

Not that I am defending Cal, it is just this team this year has so many unknowns and will take time to adjust to each other. So do not act like the last 3 years WIN total (not tournament success) was a bad 3 year run. As a matter of fact, you picked the number 23 as wins we should get, but then say better than the last several years ?????? 23 is not greater than 23 or 26. Simple math.

"as good as last years BYU team" They went 23-11 / 10-8 in the Big 12.
Wins v/s ranked opponents :
#17 SD State
#24 Iowa State
#11 Baylor
#8 Kansas

1(ONE) win v/s a top 10 team. So do not be too quick to pretend that BYU last year was better than UK. I said UK will win 20-21 this year. I hope we win more than 23, but with the tough rebuild of the roster and new faces, I am not anticipating that. To me, a good year would be 20-21 wins, Sweet 16. Anything above that would be exceptional. My prediction has nothing to do with Mark pope, but having to do with the roster and tough SEC schedule.
23 wins this year with more tournament wins is better than the last few seasons with Cal.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
The fans will expect more than 25. The SEC is going to be brutal this year and we have some very tough non-conference games.

Personally, I think it will be 22-24. I hope I am wrong. Happy to be wrong about this.

Rupp will need to be really loud this year to make home games very difficult for opponents!!! Go undefeated at home and we have a shot to get 25 and above.

This team, while experienced and not devoid of talent, is going to have some up’s and downs. I fear more than most are willing to admit.

I do think Pope is going to get everything this team has in it. If that is 25, that is what he will get! If it has a Final Four, he will get it. I have not thought that about Cal since 2015.

25+ is the right answer for this team... No that is not expecting too much from coach Pope... if they don't get that much I may be disappointed but not irate with those results... Winning only 9 like Cal did would make me very angry... But I don't expect total failure from a team coached by Pope... Only a C al team could do that...

20+ regular season wins are not expecting to much... What is expecting too few ??? Getting 25+ is not out of line with UK fans expectations... We all hope for a 40 win season, but we all know that is almost impossible... To ask for 20-25+ is not asking too much or expecting too much... I think Pope is a good enough coach to get that done...
If he wins it all in his first year how many fans will expect that for every season???

So for me I think 20-25 regular season wins is not asking too much...

GBB

Reactions: UKortho
Depends on how quickly these Seniors pick up and understand the offense and defense. This team is talented and has 9 double digit scorers from other teams. How quickly can they gel and find their rolls on this team. I think it was very smart to have as many upper classmen as this teams have this year. I think that is going to be a huge challenge. Who is the go-to guy when the games on the line? I think most expect that to be Jaxson Robinson, but is it? Who are the defensive stoppers late in the games? Some of these questions will only be answered when the bullets start flying. Who's the best starting 5? best ending 5? What is the rotation going to be?

This is an entirely new team, with a new head coach, and everyone is playing with all new teammates. What I do know is it is going to be fun watching those questions getting answered.

What I don't ever want to see again. Is every team they play control the tempo and play at their pace. I think Pope understands this is Kentucky force your pace and your style of play on your opponent. He played for Pitino, and no one did that better than Pitino. When you have the depth press and speed up your opponents. I think Pope will do this often.

I am going to say 22 wins and a 4 seed in the NCAA tournament like last year. 3rd or 4th place in the SEC regular season and a much tougher out in the SEC tournament and NCAA tournament.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT