ADVERTISEMENT

How many will we sign in 2011?

ares1

Junior
Jun 7, 2004
Looking at the roster we lose after this year J Harrellson as a Sr. and who to the NBA? Kanter, and Knight/Jones possibly. That leaves one opening for sure but 4 possibly. There is no guarantee that Knight and Jones will go and if they don't we will only have 2 slots. I think it is probable that we have 3 slots and we already have Teague and Gilchrist. Who else is most coveted? How many will we sign?

I think we will sign between 5 and 7... my rationale is knight, kanter, and jones will probably go pro.. though i would love for at least one of those to stay.. those three go, harrelson is a sr, plus we have a scholarship left over if i recall.. i believe john hood will transfer, he pretty much isn't going to see the floor with any meaingful minutes with the amount of talent that is coming in.. don't give me the, you need four year players... why do you need four year players, when they never see the floor... also , i believe if it came down to it, d miller could go on state aid for his sr year, if he doesn't at least try and test the waters... i don't know if dodson will stay past this upcoming year if he plays at all.. we will be lucky to have two srs for that freshmen class.. so i think we sign between five and seven players and i will love ever moment of it.

We have two open scolarships this year, we would have 3 if Dodson is not part of the team. Plus one graduating and up to 3 leaving early for the draft.
It appears we will at least sign 5 players any way you cut it.

I agree with Calispariistrth. Between 5 to 7 and probably six. Without Harrelllson we have 10 that can come back. Kanter Is gone. Jones and Knight are probably gone.
We are down to seven coming back. However, Hood may transfer or Dodson may not be on team. Cal gets Teague and Gilchrist and four out of QMiller, O'Bryant, Davis, Nash, Wiltjer(new interest), Wroten, Caldwell, Brown(new interest) Turner(new interest)Behanan and Lacey
UK could get six 5 stars to add to Lamb, DMiller, Poole, Vargas and Liggins. Prettty scary.

Originally posted by wailupebob:
I agree with Calispariistrth. Between 5 to 7 and probably six. Without Harrelllson we have 10 that can come back. Kanter Is gone. Jones and Knight are probably gone.
We are down to seven coming back. However, Hood may transfer or Dodson may not be on team. Cal gets Teague and Gilchrist and four out of QMiller, O'Bryant, Davis, Nash, Wiltjer(new interest), Wroten, Caldwell, Brown(new interest) Turner(new interest)Behanan and Lacey
UK could get six 5 stars to add to Lamb, DMiller, Poole, Vargas and Liggins. Prettty scary.
Where did you hear that about Turner? I've never heard he's had much of an interest for UK.

We will sign at least 5, but it could be more like 6 depending on if a couple guys leave early (I'm thinking that we only lose one player to early entry next season).

Our class will be:

Michael Gilchrist
Marquis Teague
Anthony Davis or Quincy Miller (not both as some dreamers have insinuated)
Chane Behannan or a SG (I think Cal will go with Behannan because of his KY roots)
Johnny O'Bryant

...and if Cal adds a 6th player, then either Tony Wroten Jr. or Trevor Lacey. Cal and the other coaches seem to want Lacey over Wroten, but I think we end up with Wroten in this case because he seems the most likely of the two kids to wait it out and see what happens after next season is over and see who declares and such. Lacey is a good kid and a great SG but I do not think he will wait until the spring signing period to pick a school. Whatever happens we will have our third consecutive #1 recruiting class and we will have the deepest and most talented team in the nation. Of course, if Cal and co. do not go after Behannan then we will end up with either Wroten or Lacey at the 2G spot in his place to complete the 5 man class.

We will not likely add any more though because I fully expect Lamb to return and at least one of Jones and Knight (if not both).

...so, the roster I anticipate seeing in 2011-2012 is:

Sr. Darius Miller
Sr. DeAndre Liggins
Sr. Eloy vargas
Jr. Jon Hood
So. Doron Lamb
So. Brandon Knight
So. Terrence Jones
So. Stacey Poole
Fr. Michael Gilchrist
Fr. Anthony Davis or Quincy Miller
Fr. Marquis Teague
Fr. Johnny O'Bryant
Fr. Chane Behannan or a SG

...this is a national championship team.

Originally posted by ares1:
Looking at the roster we lose after this year J Harrellson as a Sr. and who to the NBA? Kanter, and Knight/Jones possibly. That leaves one opening for sure but 4 possibly. There is no guarantee that Knight and Jones will go and if they don't we will only have 2 slots. I think it is probable that we have 3 slots and we already have Teague and Gilchrist. Who else is most coveted? How many will we sign?

M. Gilchrist
M. Teague
L. Nash
J. O'Bryant

I like Nash more than Q-Mill, but I'd love either. Nash is a banger who can shoot and dribble, and reminds me a bit of Ron Artest frame with better hops.

If Cal landed these guys, I could see us using this lineup...

C - O'Bryant/ Vargas
F - Nash/ D. Miller
F - Gilchrist/Liggins/Dodson
G - Lamb/ Poole/ Liggins/ Hood
G - Teague/ Liggins

That's a title team. The reality is that Cal is but one top 10 player away from having the front-runner for the championship, be it Q. Miller, Nash, or someone else.

Originally posted by Son_Of_Saul:

Originally posted by ares1:

M. Gilchrist
M. Teague
L. Nash
J. O'Bryant

I like Nash more than Q-Mill, but I'd love either. Nash is a banger who can shoot and dribble, and reminds me a bit of Ron Artest frame with better hops.

If Cal landed these guys, I could see us using this lineup...

C - O'Bryant/ Vargas
F - Nash/ D. Miller
F - Gilchrist/Liggins/Dodson
G - Lamb/ Poole/ Liggins/ Hood
G - Teague/ Liggins

That's a title team. The reality is that Cal is but one top 10 player away from having the front-runner for the championship, be it Q. Miller, Nash, or someone else.

I am hoping that UK can get Davis and O'Bryant to replace Kanter and Jones.
The lineup would be:
Vargas/O'Bryant
Davis/D. Miller
Gilchrist/Liggins/Dodson
Lamb/Poole/Hood
Teague/Lamb/Liggins

That is eleven players. Cal will probably bring in one and maybe two more players because UK would lose 4 seniors and some of Teague, Gilchrist, Davis, O'Bryant and Lamb at the end of 2011. Cal may be looking at Wroten or Lacey for that 12th spot.

I say 4. We only have 3 openings for sure (two leftovers and Harrelson). 4 if Dodson doesn't come back. Then obviously that number goes up with each player that leaves for the pros. I think 4, maybe 5.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT