ADVERTISEMENT

How fast do you think the average "Dad" can throw a baseball?

anth735s bachelor party we went to a St Louis Cardinals game. Everyone in our crew was still in our 20s, and we all paid a few bucks to throw against a radar. IIRC, Andypolleydotcom hit 70ish and led our group.

I think you have to be real clear about what the “average dad” means. It’s certainly NOT a guy who’s in decent shape and played a little high school sports. It’s a dude who’s overweight and barely exercises. Because America.

My guess is 40s.

anth735s bachelor party we went to a St Louis Cardinals game. Everyone in our crew was still in our 20s, and we all paid a few bucks to throw against a radar. IIRC, Andypolleydotcom hit 70ish and led our group.

I think you have to be real clear about what the “average dad” means. It’s certainly NOT a guy who’s in decent shape and played a little high school sports. It’s a dude who’s overweight and barely exercises. Because America.

My guess is 40s.
If I had to pick a single number to be +/-3mph, I would go 48.

Reactions: PTI (pti)
I played through all of the little league divisions (believe it was 3 years in T-ball, 2 years in the minors, and 2 years in the majors). Played every position including pitcher during it. It wasn't at a level where they worried about types of pitches or speeds. Just throwing for strikes or balls 😆. I quit before I got to the high school level. Had other interests at that time.

I haven't a clue what I could throw now. With a fusion in my neck and lower back to go with arthritis, tendonitis, and fluid on my knees, I'd probably struggle to break 50. If I come across one of those booths with the radar guns at the fair, maybe I will give it a shot. Probably will throw out my shoulder next.

@TruBluCatFan, what forum have you been hiding in? I haven't seen you on here in a 'long time'...hey look, I quoted a 'BOSTON' song!
I’m still searching for all the answers to Fridays Useless Trivia. LOL.

Just not been on here as much lately. But been trying to be on a little more.

Oh and to answer Chester’s question. I can shoot my age in golf (on the front 9) and I can still throw over my age but getting much harder.

I’m still searching for all the answers to Fridays Useless Trivia. LOL.

Just not been on here as much lately. But been trying to be on a little more.

Oh and to answer Chester’s question. I can shoot my age in golf (on the front 9) and I can still throw over my age but getting much harder.
Hey go easy on @HymanKaplan...he and I are from the same "Hood and Time" on this planet! 🤣

Last edited:
Reactions: TruBluCatFan

We go average, I’d say upper 40s low 50s. Any decently athletic adult should be able to hit 60s…and then you’ll lower that average with the goofballs.

Some dads at the park surprise you will how bad they are…

I never played baseball. I played several other sports and was an above average athlete. I was at a fair one year. I'm in my 20s and saw they had a radar pitching setup. I thought, how hard is it to throw 70mph? Can't be that hard, right? After throwing 3 pitches in the 55mph range, I walked away humbled.

Now? I'd be thrilled to hit 55mph. 😆

Reactions: funKYcat75
My shoulder hurts just reading this thread.

Boss born in the USA but sounds like a commie calling it a speedball.

Glory days I threw slow slower and slowest. not sure how fast I could bring it but I bet I still have an above average dad fastball.

Curveball drops off a table. Dad didn’t show me the slider didn’t want me to ruin my arm. Arm good but the shoulder hurts to play anything including pickleball and other racquet sports.

Pretty sure the rotator cuff has damage but I’m not getting cut on.
Here's a fun fact I learned 20 years later than I should have. 80% of rotator cuff injuries can be addressed without surgery, meaning physical therapy. I had a debilitating injury in my shoulder and ASSUMED surgery would be required. Put up with my shoulder going limp after throwing a football or my arm becoming numb if I positioned it a specific way. Babied it for two decades and finally mentioned it to my doctor. He prescribed PT. TWO WEEKS into my treatment these symptoms subsided. I was an idiot.

I'm not talking about a dude that played HS or college baseball. Probably just LIttle League (or maybe didn't even play that)

I'm talking about a 35 plus YO guy that goes to a game, and sees that "booth", the one where they've got a radar gun, and the beer muscles bow up, and he decides to bring the heat.

I'll give my guess later. I'm interested in hearing other peoples' opinons first. LOL
I read that some 70+ guy still pitches srmi pro and throws it 90 mph. Im sure he is a freak of nature.

Reactions: *CatinIL*
I was a small guy so my fast was average, but they call my curve ball the coo coo. It always looked like the batter was gonna get hit in the head before breaking off the cliff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT