ADVERTISEMENT

How Far??

SECT run + Elite 8 is my minimum expectation

Saying it has to be a title or bust seems a bit silly and not reasonable
No, it is not! It is National Title or bust. With this much talent, what are you going to say at the end of the year? Another subpar regular season and still came up short? Had this much talent and still could not get the job done. If not this team, then when? You are already giving him an out with just an SEC Tournament run, not winning it all. Elite 8's are not the standard here. This narrative we have to settle for less around here has got to stop. Sick and tired of these droughts. People let Cal's shortcomings with this group talk themselves down with their expectations of what this team could have been capable of but this is a piss-poor coaching job that UK is about to embark on another 10-loss season. That is what Cal has reduced this program down to anymore. No Tournament in 2020 and only 1 Tournament win since Houston in the 2019 Sweet 16. Pathetic!

Last edited:
Sam Bowie already laid it out there on that microphone in Rupp a few weeks ago! " If this team doesn't win it all, BLAME CALIPARI" !!!!

• Love
Reactions: Wildcatjedi
As an alum and fan for some 50 years, I’m only truly satisfied w a championship. And I don’t apologize for it-winning is our birthright!

• Love
Reactions: Wildcatjedi
It is still the 4th longest drought in school history no matter how you polish this turd. For all of the talent coming through this program under a Hall of Fame coach making $9 million, it is unacceptable that much I agree with. He was not hired to bring UK down to these all-time low points and droughts that have happened throughout his time. Like I said in my post above, UConn has won 5 National Champions since UK cut the nets down in 1998, Duke & UNC 3, Florida, Kansas & Villanova twice. No excuse that Kentucky being a blue blood has only 1 championship since the turn of the century. Period!
I'm not trying to polish any turds nor do I think it's acceptable. All I'm saying is outside of winning 2 titles in 3 years in the late 90's, 12 years is not a long gap since the 50's. My bigger issue is the lack of Final Fours. Barring a miracle, we will be pushing 10 years between Final Fours. Outside of 1998 - 2011, that is the largest gap in UK history. That's a bigger issue imo.

Reactions: FitchandMurray29
I’m in the “l want Cal gone regardless of what we do in the tourney” group. Can you imagine what a good coach would be doing with this team?

I'm not trying to polish any turds nor do I think it's acceptable. All I'm saying is outside of winning 2 titles in 3 years in the late 90's, 12 years is not a long gap since the 50's. My bigger issue is the lack of Final Fours. Barring a miracle, we will be pushing 10 years between Final Fours. Outside of 1998 - 2011, that is the largest gap in UK history. That's a bigger issue imo.
6 other schools have won multiple National Titles since the turn of the century. It absolutely is the most concerning issue that Kentucky isn't one of them. Cal has 4 Final 4's, they aren't nearly as much of a concern for me as getting another championship. As I stated above, Kentucky has won multiple National Titles in 3 decades of school history and even Cal has admitted he should have won more. It is not unreasonable to expect UK's droughts to be less than at any point with all of the talent that Cal has had come through this program.

Pretty standard for our history? You're comparing the longest droughts in program history. Their math was off but this is still one of the longest droughts between championships. 2012 to 2024 is 12 years.

For comparison's sake, the shortest droughts.
Back to back in '48 & 49. 2 years later won again in 1951. 7 years later won again in 1958. Won 2 of 3 in '96 & '98. 3 decades in UK's history they have proven to win multiple National Titles in.

4th longest drought. Pretty pathetic regardless for the amount of talent squandered by CCC. Even he has said should have won 2 or 3 National Titles. Cal's words on his call-in show. Since that stretch in the 90s, UConn has won 5 Championships compared to UK's 1, Duke & UNC 3, Florida, Kansas & Villanova 2. It is really not that unreasonable to expect UK to have cut down the nets more than once all things considered. It's amazing how this school has hit some all-time low points historically and continuing droughts and Barnhart has overseen most of it since 2002 and Cal 2009-10 since that run UK last won multiple championships in a decade. Sad!

On this subject it is worthwhile to note that Cal has been paid far more here than all other historical UK coaches combined. Far more. To turn in what these people are defending as not technically the worst era ever in terms of average total results.

Obviously salaries generally have changed since George Buchheit and Adolph Rupp were coaching. But how much have they really changed since Tubby and BCG were coaching? Increasingly ironic that for the recent window that matches BCG’s stint here in terms of length of time, Cal’s results are comparable or worse than what BCG turned in, yet every year he gets paid three times what BCG got for his entire tenure here——six times what BCG got for a single year with roughly equivalent results. (Tubby had a very varying salary his last few years here due to the way his contract was structured. But for the past four years Cal has been paid generally around three times what Tubby was paid near the end of his tenure, with generally worse results, to sometimes dramatically worse results.)

Last edited:
6 other schools have won multiple National Titles since the turn of the century. It absolutely is the most concerning issue that Kentucky isn't one of them. Cal has 4 Final 4's, they aren't nearly as much of a concern for me as getting another championship. As I stated above, Kentucky has won multiple National Titles in 3 decades of school history and even Cal has admitted he should have won more. It is not unreasonable to expect UK's droughts to be less than at any point with all of the talent that Cal has had come through this program.
You and I agree on a number of things. I also believe Cal should have a second title here with the talent that has come through. I just don't put as big of an emphasis on a 12 year drought as you as it's middle of the road for UK in terms of drought length.. But yes, it's inexcusable that he doesn't have a second title based on the talent he has had.

No, it is not! It is National Title or bust. With this much talent, what are you going to say at the end of the year? Another subpar regular season and still came up short? Had this much talent and still could not get the job done. If not this team, then when? You are already giving him an out with just an SEC Tournament run, not winning it all. Elite 8's are not the standard here. This narrative we have to settle for less around here has got to stop. Sick and tired of these droughts. People let Cal's shortcomings with this group talk themselves down with their expectations of what this team could have been capable of but this is a piss-poor coaching job that UK is about to embark on another 10-loss season. That is what Cal has reduced this program down to anymore. No Tournament in 2020 and only 1 Tournament win since Houston in the 2019 Sweet 16. Pathetic!
We have 8 titles in 100+ years. Saying any season is national title or bust is not living in reality. Elite 8, Final Four? Sure, but National Title - that can't ever be the expectation for a successful season.

We have 8 titles in 100+ years. Saying any season is national title or bust is not living in reality. Elite 8, Final Four? Sure, but National Title - that can't ever be the expectation for a successful season.
Bullshit. You absolutely can and should expect Kentucky to be a threat to win the National Championship. No one expects them to cut down the nets every year so do not misconstrue my post to fit your narrative. The point is the time for justifying reasons for coming up short has to cease and it has been long enough going on 12 years for all of the talent that has gone through since the last National Title. If UK doesn't win it this year, you will still be saying the same story next year and for however long the drought continues to 13 by the next time they would have a shot to win in '25 barring a miracle turnaround this year.

I would have accepted an Elite 8 in '22 though not the standard coming out of the miserable covid year and expect the next year to get back on a steady trajectory upwards. Instead, we get the worst tournament loss in school history to St. Peter's, followed by a 12 loss season with a 1st weekend exit and staring down another 10 loss season. So excuse me for running out of patience with a $9 million HOF coach and expecting UK to get back to National Championship status. Don't blame fans who have expectations of winning it all in March when Cal has routinely told us his teams are 'built for March', doesn't put as much stock into the regular season well then you had better start winning in March when Cal makes such bold statements. Anything less is a disappointment when you also lose 10+ in the regular season. This rationalizing losing and coming up short by some fans has got to stop.

If not this year, how long does Cal get to win another National Championship to appease people like you? I have my doubts of him ever reaching a Final 4 again but are you going to accept this as the ceiling at UK? Never getting over the hump under him again. 1 Championship in now his 15th season. 6 other schools have had no problem winning more than one championship since the turn of the century. If this school endures another 20 year drought between a Championship, are fans like you really going to still be crowing we're the gold standard? Get real!!

Last edited:
How far does this team need to go in March to satisfy the fans?

Personally getting to an elite 8 might help with the tension but if they lose before that then it’s going to get ugly around here.

Cal did this to himself saying “this team is built for March” and if they go out and lose in the first weekend I think fans will be at his front gate with pitchforks. This is the biggest March of the Cal era, because it will ultimately decide his fate at Kentucky and I think he knows that.
Which fans are you talking about?

The CHC? Nothing will change with them. Win or lose. Some of them want us to lose.

Real UK fans? They are just wanting to win and advance as far as possible.

Every win is just better. Personally, I expect at least a FF this season.

Seriously?

Even if they win every game left on the schedule, including the championship, I want Calipari gone. He's done. Get out. Go away.

IF we make it to the Elite 8, I will feel "better", not thrilled. USUALLY when teams get to the Elite 8, it is pretty much a toss up. NORMALLY that is a great season. But after recent failures, I really need a Final 4 to feel good about the direction we are headed. I am not going to scream "title or bust", I think that is a bit unfair. We make it to the Final 4, let the chips fall where they may. Not going to be one of those fans who thinks winning it all should be the goal, it is tough, we only have 8 total, so to EXPECT it is a bit unfair.

IF we make it to the Elite 8, I will feel "better", not thrilled. Usually when teams get to the Elite 8, it is pretty much a toss up. Normally that is a great season. But after recent failures, I really need a Final 4 to feel good about the direction we are headed. I am not going to scream "title or bust", I think that is a bit unfair. We make it to the Final 4, let the chips fall where they may. Not going to be one of those fans who thinks winning it all should me the goal, it is tough, we only have 8 total, so to EXPECT it is a bit unfair.
No it is not unfair to expect a National Championship and should be the goal to win it all. This is Kentucky Basketball, not tiddlywinks. Recent failures are why people are at the point it's time to win or GTHO. Seriously, how can your goal be anything less? Does Alabama Football ever go into a season thinking their goal is just to make the SEC Championship Game or just make the CFP? I don't believe this team is capable of winning it all which only adds to the frustration and prolongs the drought even longer.

Last edited:
Well if you do not think they are capable, why the hell expect it ? Kind of wanting in one hand and shitting in the other, you know which one gets filled up first. And it IS unfair to EXPECT a championship, it is not easy to get one, which is why we only have 8. Now the GOAL every year could be a title, but to EXPECT one is a very different mentality. I said I am not happy with recent failures, but to sit and and demand a title is just very silly. Can we win it all ? Sure, worse teams have, but to EXPECT it just because you are pissed, is crazy talk. We have different opinions on it, and that is OK, but don't quote my post and act like YOUR opinion is the right one. They are called opinions for a reason, everybody has one. Mine is not more right / wrong than years, just different thinking.

Well if you do not think they are capable, why the hell expect it ? Kind of wanting in one hand and shitting in the other, you know which one gets filled up first. And it IS unfair to EXPECT a championship, it is not easy to get one, which is why we only have 8. Now the GOAL every year could be a title, but to EXPECT one is a very different mentality. I said I am not happy with recent failures, but to sit and and demand a title is just very silly. Can we win it all ? Sure, worse teams have, but to EXPECT it just because you are pissed, is crazy talk. We have different opinions on it, and that is OK, but don't quote my post and act like YOUR opinion is the right one. They are called opinions for a reason, everybody has one. Mine is not more right / wrong than years, just different thinking.
Did I say your opinion was anymore right or wrong than you did mine? You stated it was unfair, now crazy and very silly so I responded, you just didn't like my response. The expectations of winning a title have nothing to do with being 'pissed' but the level of talent that is on the teams that should be a legit contender and are not well-coached. I will freely quote your post if I want and disagree with it just like you did with mine.

Now back to discussing the team...The reason I do not think they are capable of winning has nothing to do with these players and all to do with John Calipari and his coaching of this team. If you have read my posts on this board, have said multiple times a real coach would love this roster and we have one not putting this team in the best position to win. No other coach would have players like Reed or Dillingham coming off the bench. If Cal would get out his own stubborn ways, this team should have been one of the best in College Basketball this season but instead facing 10 losses. I don't think I am alone in believing this could have been one of Cal's best teams on paper here and was not the only who had hoped this would be the year they win it all again. You all can point back to being hard to win National Championships but as I have said, we have seen 6 others in the last 24 years win multiple.

My expectation for Kentucky when it comes to winning a title is my overall expectations of the program as a whole. "National Title or Bust" was in response the OP on what would satisfy the fans after the disappointment in recent years. Totally my fault for taking the bait from those not thinking beyond this year as this has somehow been spun into expectations of just this team instead of people who aren't looking at the bigger picture instead of where the program should be as a whole 15 years into a coaching tenure at a blueblood. Cal is 65, a Hall of Famer so a decline in the program should not have been for a number of years still due to age. Kentucky is just different because there is a standard you are expected to maintain so it is a 10-year job like Joe B. & Tubby have said. Cal also said he was told that when he talked to them before accepting the job and re-iterated the same his first few years here.

Last edited:
Over the last 65 years, UK has gone 20 years, 18 years, 2 years and 14 years in between titles. Where Cal has the program right now is completely unacceptable. With that said, our current drought is not much different than where we have been since the late 50’s.
FF droughts

1967 to 1974 8
1985 to 1992 8
1999 to 2010 12
2016 to 2023 7 because of COVID.

Won two tournament games this decade.
One in SEC, and Providence in NCAA. Winning at Indiana like low 60 percent.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT