ADVERTISEMENT

How do you trust a coach that tried to leave?

Mike-McD

Junior
Aug 3, 2022
It's not like Stoops is going to come out and own it. He tried to bail, it fell apart on him, and he's back...for now.

He's going to just brazen it out without making a public statement. And even if he did, what could he say?

"Sorry about that guys, I know I tried to sneak out of here but I'm totes back for realz now, honest to God, trust me."

He's just going to be silent and not even acknowledge what happened, as though he never even tried to leave, which is just as bad.

It's not like Stoops is going to come out and own it. He tried to bail, it fell apart on him, and he's back...for now.

He's going to just brazen it out without making a public statement. And even if he did, what could he say?

"Sorry about that guys, I know I tried to sneak out of here but I'm totes back for realz now, honest to God, trust me."

He's just going to be silent and not even acknowledge what happened, as though he never even tried to leave, which is just as bad.
Don’t act like you havnt done it.

Matt Damon Backs Out of Directing Debut, Gus Van Sant to Take Over - E! Online https://www.eonline.com/news/284444...-of-directing-debut-gus-van-sant-to-take-over

Reactions: CGblue
Same way a coach trusts a fan base that was trying to replace him.

It's the game. No side should take things too personally.

Fans have expectations, some reasonable some not so. Coaches have expectations to, some reasonable and some not so.

In any business you constantly assess...Have I done all I can, is there better opportunity out there for me to do xyz, am I wanted/needed here anymore, etc...?

Last edited:
How do you trust a committed recruit who takes visits???? You just do, because you want them on your team.

How do you trust a player on your team who enters the transfer portal but then pulls it out??? Again, that's life, be adults and talk about it.

I find it very interesting, that Mitch "who I have questioned" was turning the table on stoops with his assistants! I know this wouldn't be a popular hire, but I think Mitch might have tried to either put marrow as HC, with White DC with more pay and ceon OC with more pay to keep things together. Or he tried to put White at HC and big raises for Coen/Marrow. Left stoops without a staff!

I don't know enough about what actually happened to form a real judgement. If a place throwing money around like they are printing it shows interest it would be poor business decision not to see what they are offering. But reality is Jimmy Sexton is known for creating interest in his clients to get more money. Was interest on either side legit?

He has a job at UK, he tried for a better job at A&M for more money and boosters with open NIL pockets. If you had a opportunity for a better job you are going to tell me you would not pursue it. Maybe UK should give him a lifetime contract to test his loyalty, I guess we have seen how that works out. He did not get the job, he has been embarrassed by what transpired so he has to try to be more successful if he what's to be considered in the future for other opportunities. This situation may make him hungry again.

Be an adult. Have some common sense. People look at other jobs once in a while in every field. He's probably had more conversations with other teams than we know about. You act like it's some huge betrayal. He released a statement, and addressed it on his radio show. He was contacted about another job, he talked to them, spoke to assistants about the possibility, either turned it down or they moved on. End of story. Support the guy just as much as we always have.

Interesting that their hire gets two million less than Stoops gets at UK. Maybe Stoops did not want to take a two million pay cut for a more stressful job. Maybe he knows he will always be a 8/4 , 7/5 coach with an occasional 10/2 season which T A&M fans will not tolerate but UK ‘s AD and a majority of UK fans will.

You or I would have listened to any teams pitch. We do what is best for our family and career. I don't blame Stoops one bit. Every coach at every institution listens and is interested in career advancement and the challenge to prove themselves further. If Alabama reached out to Stoops do you think he wouldn't listen and be interested? As a poster said above it is part of the game. Coaches are loyal to the program only until they accept the next position.

i have always thought you were a troll
this thread does not change that

You’re aware negotiations are to be kept private regardless of the outcome?

He doesn’t owe anyone an explanation.
Correct. I fully understand how a fan base would be uneasy with this and how it could form a lack of trust, but this is his life, not ours. These talks happen every offseason. Just because we don't always hear about it, doesn't mean they don't happen and they have agents for a reason. Their agents are always trying to do better for their client. That's business. A fan base wouldn't care about any coach if they didn't win so a trade off is a coach is going to always do what is best for them and they should. If anyone thinks a coach anywhere believes this is my retirement destination in today's game, that's a bit naïve. It can happen, there are still a few coaches who will do so, but those dudes are aging out. Moving forward, we won't see many coaches coach 20 plus years in one spot, just to much pressure to win and too many challenges to maintain greatest across that amount of time.

Reactions: catben

How are you going to trust the A&M side of the story instead of the coach of the University you allegedly support? You think they are going to come out and say "Well we tried to hire lowly UK's coach but he turned us down to stay there"? No way they aren't going to try and save face, I mean they are the mighty Aggies who haven't won their conference title in 25 years. They can't be seen as the team who couldn't hire away UK's coach. 🤣

Interesting that their hire gets two million less than Stoops gets at UK. Maybe Stoops did not want to take a two million pay cut for a more stressful job. Maybe he knows he will always be a 8/4 , 7/5 coach with an occasional 10/2 season which T A&M fans will not tolerate but UK ‘s AD and a majority of UK fans will.

Stoops will never go 10 and 2 n the regular season at UK. Otherwise, I agree.

Stoops would have most likely received what he's getting now or slightly more. $7 million doubled Elko's salary from Duke. They didn't need to pay him $9 million.

Reactions: catben
You’re aware negotiations are to be kept private regardless of the outcome?

He doesn’t owe anyone an explanation.
That's my ONLY problem with this entire situation. Stoops and/or his agent jumped the gun when BOTH A&M AND UK media was reporting it was a DONE DEAL around 10pm, when it apparently wasn't OR it was but got NIXED because of the backlash.

It is beneficial to BOTH schools if the offer was just that and never anything more. So, the SPIN will be that no matter what ACTUALLY happened.

It's over now, but I won't hold my breath for another week when the Iowa job opens up.

Last edited:
How are you going to trust the A&M side of the story instead of the coach of the University you allegedly support? You think they are going to come out and say "Well we tried to hire lowly UK's coach but he turned us down to stay there"? No way they aren't going to try and save face, I mean they are the mighty Aggies who haven't won their conference title in 25 years. They can't be seen as the team who couldn't hire away UK's coach. 🤣
I can flip this around and ask if you think Coach Stoops and his agent would want it to be known that the A&M AD had a deal made to hire him, but the backlash and negativity from the fan base and boosters was so strong that the proposed deal got nixed?

The way this whole situation has been portrayed helps EVERYONE involved.

I don't know, ask Calipari.

Reactions: bigbluemist
About the same way you trust any player who can hit the transfer portal pretty much whenever they like.

How much do you need to trust him?

If he wins, you shout “Stoops is the man!”

If he loses, you shout “Fire his ass!”

If he takes another job, you shout “I knew he had one foot out the door!”

It’s not like you are loaning him money or sleeping with him.

When you get caught in a bad situation, you formulate a scenario, stick to it, move on and wait for the next person to become the bullseye.

Reactions: ala_kat2
I don't know enough about what actually happened to form a real judgement. If a place throwing money around like they are printing it shows interest it would be poor business decision not to see what they are offering. But reality is Jimmy Sexton is known for creating interest in his clients to get more money. Was interest on either side legit?
Was definitely interest on both sides. You don’t hire Elko without having interest in stoops. Stoops definitely had interest as well but seemingly assistants were non committal in going with him, the money was not more than he was getting here and probably less and stoops knows that job comes with a lot more stress than he has here (not that this is stress free ). He doesn’t handle pressure well and at the end of the day I don’t think he has the confidence in himself to take on a job that big.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Trust HIM?
a big portion of the fan base acted like they were helping him pack.

It’s business. If Kentucky gets outbid in some way by another program, that’s just the way it plays.

If he can’t get the offensive line, secondary and recievers fixed we could well be wanting to help him after next year.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
I can flip this around and ask if you think Coach Stoops and his agent would want it to be known that the A&M AD had a deal made to hire him, but the backlash and negativity from the fan base and boosters was so strong that the proposed deal got nixed?

The way this whole situation has been portrayed helps EVERYONE involved.
and that would still look bad on A&M for caving to the loud fans like UT did.

Looks like some on here may need to be on medication.

You guys really seem distraught and needy

Was definitely interest on both sides. You don’t hire Elko without having interest in stoops. Stoops definitely had interest as well but seemingly assistants were non committal in going with him, the money was not more than he was getting here and probably less and stoops knows that job comes with a lot more stress than he has here (not that this is stress free ). He doesn’t handle pressure well and at the end of the day I don’t think he has the confidence in himself to take on a job that big.
One thing for certain is he’s changed the culture and expectations around these parts, I think some of our fans either forget or ignore that. All jobs have challenges, UK even moreso now that we’ve settled into the middle of the pack where there’s nowhere to go but up if you want to appease the fans. I’m indifferent and could care less about the aTm drama and also indifferent whether he stays or goes. One thing for certain is he definitely would have more resources in Texas but that also comes with increased expectations which would really cause some serious stress in his life. OTOH, we’ve now set higher expectations without the resources where he can just buy a class and let the coaching decide how far he can climb. I honestly think he would have taken the job if it was available and I wouldn’t blame him and I get a kick out of social media when people say he had it made here due to his high pay with low expectations, that’s just not true anymore. If he left and we brought in a name hire they would face the same hurdles, it’s not nor will ever be a job where the HC isn’t always going to be facing an uphill climb and that has to be stressful af but that comes with the salary.

Reactions: ala_kat2
I find it very interesting, that Mitch "who I have questioned" was turning the table on stoops with his assistants! I know this wouldn't be a popular hire, but I think Mitch might have tried to either put marrow as HC, with White DC with more pay and ceon OC with more pay to keep things together. Or he tried to put White at HC and big raises for Coen/Marrow. Left stoops without a staff!
Most guys taking big jobs don’t bring half of their staff. No way he’s allowed to bring White. Boosters would have demanded a big name. Coen they might have gone for. White was out. Receivers coach out. DBs out. Stoops, Coen and Morrow likely the only ones taken.

Most guys taking big jobs don’t bring half of their staff. No way he’s allowed to bring White. Boosters would have demanded a big name. Coen they might have gone for. White was out. Receivers coach out. DBs out. Stoops, Coen and Morrow likely the only ones taken.
White is as big a name if not bigger than coen in college football.

Trust HIM?
a big portion of the fan base acted like they were helping him pack.

It’s business. If Kentucky gets outbid in some way by another program, that’s just the way it plays.

If he can’t get the offensive line, secondary and recievers fixed we could well be wanting to help him after next year.
Left out qb.

Reactions: billoliver40
yeah you gotta wonder about buffano his brother the st guy and all that he’s taking care of here too. Not an acceptable staff at those places

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT