ADVERTISEMENT

How do you think our OL will be this season?

RogerIndy

Sophomore
Sep 2, 2002
I feel like our OL has taken a step backwards since the passing of John Schlarman. Last year, Wolford really did a poor job in coaching the line and their performance was not, IMO, up to the standard set in prior years. I think part of it was due to graduation and the fact that we had a younger line. With Zach Yenser coming in this year, do you see a return to the kind of OL performance that we are used to?

Going by a couple of coaches comments, Flax, Buford, Wohlbaugh and Goodwin can all four get it done at the tackle spots. Cox and Horsey good to go at center and guard. Have not heard anything on Manning. Burton must be ready to go this year. Looking at him physically and cross training him at guard and center, they seem to feel good about him. The two I would like to hear more about other than Manning is Young and Rodriguez. Apparently Bingham has already made and impression at guard, just needs a year in the weight room. And I think Hall will be good at OT in a couple of years. Guess Jones is hurt right now. And Wilson does have experience at center to fill in when needed. Needs to get his pass blocking up to standard though.

Reactions: RogerIndy
I feel like our OL has taken a step backwards since the passing of John Schlarman. Last year, Wolford really did a poor job in coaching the line and their performance was not, IMO, up to the standard set in prior years. I think part of it was due to graduation and the fact that we had a younger line. With Zach Yenser coming in this year, do you see a return to the kind of OL performance that we are used to?
Three Oline starters are gone. Kinnard and Fortner graduated, and are in the NFL now. Although undrafted, Rosenthal did a good job for us generally.

There are a lot of questions about the 2022 OL, but also a lot of upside. The right side with Manning and Flax is huge. The left side with Buford and Horsey is quick and adequate size. In the middle, Cox could be one of the top centers in our league. Depth is better than most years, especially Goodwin, Young, and Burton. This Oline might need a couple weeks, but they can be one of the better Olines in our league again if everyone does what they are capable. It is a test for Zach Yenser. Hope Stoops is right about Yenser. The players love him.

One thing to remember about last year was the scheme changed to wide zone, so the players were adjusting to that as well. Plus, I don't get the impression the players liked the OL coach last year too much, and that likely affected performance.

Here's to hoping Yenser brings back the OL passion similar to that of Coach Schlarman!

Any time you go into a sandwich year like this one (3 starters gone, young players are probably. a year away), it's expected that there will be some growing pains.

Two signs of encouragement, however: (1) Drake Jackson is on our staff and we should all be thrilled about this. I have a VERY hard time believing he won't flatten the learning curve, and (2) The staff had the opportunity to seek reinforcements in the transfer portal this past offseason, but elected to NOT do this because the consensus was that our young talent is so good, that they need to play.

The OL will be nasty per usual. I see another 2500 yard rushing season with 3500 yards passing on top of it. We may have some hiccups early adjusting to the wide zone scheme full time but once they figure out what works and what to scrap watch out! Buford and Horsey on the left side are great fits for this scheme Imo. Both players are extremely athletic for there positions. The right side is the side I’m a little concerned about just because I’m not sure what kind of athlete Manning is and Flax is more of a bulldozer than a guy that you would expect to be great in space.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT