ADVERTISEMENT

Hour Old Baylor Fan Blog

Thanks for sharing that. Encouraging to see how much the Baylor fans would hate to lose Drew.

For those who wouldn’t be satisfied with Drew…trust me, it will be a bad sign if he turns us down and we have to move to the next tier. This search can’t go past Drew if we want to be relevant again right away.

We never offered Oats and unless it's happened and we don't know. We haven't offered Donovan. I'm not sure we have officially offered Drew. Alot of rumors everywhere right now

I know some here have mocked the Mitch/Drew relationship but you can't blame Mitch if he chooses Drew. He just went through several years of a fractured business relationship with Cal which was both of their faults but that isn't sustainable long term. It was actually pretty bizarre that Mitch and Cal barely talked and Cal put the program on an island. That's the opposite of what Drew would do.

Thanks for sharing that. Encouraging to see how much the Baylor fans would hate to lose Drew.

For those who wouldn’t be satisfied with Drew…trust me, it will be a bad sign if he turns us down and we have to move to the next tier. This search can’t go past Drew if we want to be relevant again right away.
I think if we got a Tommy Lloyd or someone it would be fine but we can’t get a Sean Miller or something and that is supposedly someone Barney had on his radar.

I know some here have mocked the Mitch/Drew relationship but you can't blame Mitch if he chooses Drew. He just went through several years of a fractured business relationship with Cal which was both of their faults but that isn't sustainable long term. It was actually pretty bizarre that Mitch and Cal barely talked and Cal put the program on an island. That's the opposite of what Drew would do.
Hiring someone because they are a pal sucks.I hated when Cal did it and will hate it if Mitch does it.

We never offered Oats and unless it's happened and we don't know. We haven't offered Donovan. I'm not sure we have officially offered Drew. Alot of rumors everywhere right now
That there is, at least this dude knows they have a good coach and that UK is a premier job. I love his diss of IU and UofL. He did throw in the jab about losing in the round of 64… ugh Cal!! We never had that happen before you.

Last edited:
You're right but I want Hurley.

Cam kind of knows how we felt in 1997
No doubt about that, we were at the pinnacle too. That hurt especially because Pitino was setup to become coach K. In my honest opinion Rick would be known as the best coach ever by now and probably still here even today if he stayed. He would easily have 5 titles and probably 10 final 4’s by now.

That their is, at least this dude know they have a good coach and that UK is a premier job. I love his diss of IU and UofL.
Most everybody knows UK is a premier if not the premier job in college basketball. They have a good Coach and he built that program from scratch but Baylor is not UK either. I simply don't think Drew can handle this job. It will eat him alive and he will burnout from it. Just my opinion. I like Drew. I'm not knocking him at all but this job isn't for some.

Nah….go get Golden. He’s hungry.

There are 70 million plus reasons he may
Would need to be quite a bit plus. Sure, $10-12 million might get him for next year but he's not going to come here
to make that 7 years from now. Just to put it in perspective, Steve Kerr gets about $17 million per now but just signed an extension that will pay him $30 million per year. Inflation happens everywhere but in coaching it's now hyperinflation.

Hiring someone because they are a pal sucks.I hated when Cal did it and will hate it if Mitch does it.
Being a pal is a positive if you're Mitch, but it's not the only reason he'd be hired. Plus Mitch likely retires soon so you wouldn't have the whole "he won't fire him because they're friends" angle if Drew ends up sucking. Pressure would be put on the next AD to make the move if it came to that.

Watching this video...does Scott choose Mitch?

Watching this video...does Scott choose Mitch?
The young man in the video seems pretty worried. As I said in another thread, when Drew said no thanks to Louisville, in my mind I thought Cal would leave this year or next year would be his last and we'd get Drew. Based off of nothing, I think he ends up our new coach. We won't have the euphora we had when Cal accepted the job but we also believed Cal would retire here and bring us 3-4 titles too.

To the part I bolded, YES THIS. I’d much prefer Drew over Lloyd or Miller.

• Love
Reactions: gojvc and UKMKG
The young man in the video seems pretty worried. As I said in another thread, when Drew said no thanks to Louisville, in my mind I thought Cal would leave this year or next year would be his last and we'd get Drew. Based off of nothing, I think he ends up our new coach. We won't have the euphora we had when Cal accepted the job but we also believed Cal would retire here and bring us 3-4 titles too.
Drew is a solid hire, just not the exciting that it energizes the entire fanbase hire like you said. The man won a title at Baylor, so what could he do here with UK’s resources?🤔

Mitch is about to retire, why would this decision be based on choosing someone he personally likes and wants to work with?

I mean, yes, I agree. But you’re basically saying Drew is the worst coach we should actually consider.

I disagree, respectfully but completely, with this post. There are dozens of top high school players who would jump at the chance to play at Kentucky, almost without regard to who is coaching. U.K. will be "relevant" (using your word) in 2024-25. Write it down.

If Drew says no, UK will be the laughing stock of the college basketball world.
We are going to offer Smart next after 0-4? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
We are screwed if he says no because we will be in a territory of people with weak resumes. Shaka Smart has somehow continued to get jobs and get mentioned despite literally two NCAA Tourney wins for 12 years.

We are screwed if he says no because we will be in a territory of people with weak resumes. Shaka Smart has somehow continued to get jobs and get mentioned despite literally two NCAA Tourney wins for 12 years.
You are correct. There's no one after the top 4.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Drew is a solid hire, just not the exciting that it energizes the entire fanbase hire like you said. The man won a title at Baylor, so what could he do here with UK’s resources?🤔
Obviously a best case scenario but say Drew get JQ to stay committed brings edgecomb and brings his best players from Baylor and hit the portal well i think fans would be pretty energized going into next year. You would have a few top tier freshman with experience and a good coach

Yeah, the rumors don't really tell us much. If they were all saying the same things, we might have something worth believing. But we're hearing a bunch of different things, and several of them are contradictory.

I’ve told my friend group for 3 years Drew would be next coach
When he turned down Louisville I knew it then for sure
Mitch toying with you boys about Hurley 11 mill
Mitch wants a normal human being to be head Coach he was sick if Cals crap as was everyone
We need Drew here this week and start building a roster

According to Matt Jones, we have not offered Donovan. Also, I don't think Nate Oats was ever seriously considered. That's my opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT