ADVERTISEMENT

Hosting Regional chances!

redbudman

Junior
Apr 10, 2007
I think if we could get to the championship game of the Sec tourney we will be strongly considered! If we win SEC, I say we host it!

I would have scoffed at this a few weeks ago, but with our high RPI, the fact that we have series wins over USC, UF, A&M, Louisville, et al, you may be right.

Have another chance to get a solid win against a team that we didn't play in the regular season tonight.

Originally posted by STUCKNBIG10:
I would have scoffed at this a few weeks ago, but with our high RPI, the fact that we have series wins over USC, UF, A&M, Louisville, et al, you may be right.

Have another chance to get a solid win against a team that we didn't play in the regular season tonight.
We also beat then #1 ranked Virginia...

I just don't see it. There are 16 teams that can host. Here are some that are pretty much a lock:

Virginia
Oregon State
Louisiana Lafayette
Cal-Poly
Florida State
Oklahoma State
Indiana
LSU
South Carolina
Florida
Vanderbilt
Miami
Houston
Washington
Oregon
Rice

That is 15. I don't think UK is going to kick out any SEC teams just because of the tournament. Plus, their venues are much bigger than ours and can make the NCAA a lot more money. Texas and TCU are out of my list right now, but both of them are RPI top 15. There are a ton of good teams this year that have amazing resumes. I don't envy the selection committee for having to choose. I just don't think our overall body of work is going to be enough to push us into the consideration. Even if we win the whole SEC tournament. I would love to be wrong though.

Originally posted by Comebakatz3:
I just don't see it. There are 16 teams that can host. Here are some that are pretty much a lock:

Virginia
Oregon State
Louisiana Lafayette
Cal-Poly
Florida State
Oklahoma State
Indiana
LSU
South Carolina
Florida
Vanderbilt
Miami
Houston
Washington
Oregon
Rice

That is 15. I don't think UK is going to kick out any SEC teams just because of the tournament. Plus, their venues are much bigger than ours and can make the NCAA a lot more money. Texas and TCU are out of my list right now, but both of them are RPI top 15. There are a ton of good teams this year that have amazing resumes. I don't envy the selection committee for having to choose. I just don't think our overall body of work is going to be enough to push us into the consideration. Even if we win the whole SEC tournament. I would love to be wrong though.
Actually that's 16 lol, but I agree we will be a 2 seed most likely in Bloomington or perhaps Charlotesville, I notice you didn't have Louisville on your list, have they been beaten in the AAC tournament ?

Originally posted by CloverforkCat:

Virginia
Oregon State
Louisiana Lafayette
Cal-Poly
Florida State
Oklahoma State
Indiana
LSU
South Carolina
Florida
Vanderbilt
Miami
Houston
Washington
Oregon
Rice

Actually that's 16 lol, but I agree we will be a 2 seed most likely in Bloomington or perhaps Charlotesville, I notice you didn't have Louisville on your list, have they been beaten in the AAC tournament ?
I understand the skepticism, and I'm not necessarily advocating for UK being a host. I'm just saying that very few teams have played a schedule like UK and very few teams have as many quality wins. If UK didn't have some bad losses (series loss to UT, Murray State, etc), then they'd be a lock to host.

With taht said, look at teams like Indiana and UL. They play terrible schedules. At least IU beat UK. UL was swept, not sure how they could qualify as a host.

Virginia
Oregon State
Louisiana Lafayette
Cal-Poly
Florida State
Oklahoma State
Indiana
LSU
South Carolina
Florida
Vanderbilt
Miami
Houston
Washington
Oregon
Rice

I understand the skepticism, and I'm not necessarily advocating for UK being a host. I'm just saying that very few teams have played a schedule like UK and very few teams have as many quality wins. If UK didn't have some bad losses (series loss to UT, Murray State, etc), then they'd be a lock to host.

With taht said, look at teams like Indiana and UL. They play terrible schedules. At least IU beat UK. UL was swept, not sure how they could qualify as a host.
You cannot hate on Indiana's schedule. Just to be fair to them. They have the 3rd best RPI and the 33nd ranked schedule. That is extremely respectable, especially considering they play in a relatively poor baseball conference.

In terms of Louisville... I could see them still hosting. I put in Washington because I thought that the committee would give more host sites to the PAC.

It is hard to say exactly who will host. I just came up with a list of people who seem to have had excellent years and tried to spread out the conferences a bit. It probably isn't a great list. There are a lot of teams on the bubble of that list (Louisville, Texas, TCU, Ole Miss, Texas Tech) that are in the RPI top 25. UK could be considered on the bubble but I think that a lot of other teams probably have much better chances of hosting than we do. I also fully believe that our stadium and attendance hurt us. The NCAA would much rather put in a team that draws a lot more fans, like a TCU.

Virginia
Oregon State
Louisiana Lafayette
Cal-Poly
Florida State
Oklahoma State
Indiana
LSU
South Carolina
Florida
Vanderbilt
Miami
Houston
Washington
Oregon
Rice

You cannot hate on Indiana's schedule. Just to be fair to them. They have the 3rd best RPI and the 33nd ranked schedule. That is extremely respectable, especially considering they play in a relatively poor baseball conference.

In terms of Louisville... I could see them still hosting. I put in Washington because I thought that the committee would give more host sites to the PAC.

It is hard to say exactly who will host. I just came up with a list of people who seem to have had excellent years and tried to spread out the conferences a bit. It probably isn't a great list. There are a lot of teams on the bubble of that list (Louisville, Texas, TCU, Ole Miss, Texas Tech) that are in the RPI top 25. UK could be considered on the bubble but I think that a lot of other teams probably have much better chances of hosting than we do. I also fully believe that our stadium and attendance hurt us. The NCAA would much rather put in a team that draws a lot more fans, like a TCU.
Eastern Parkway University is the most overrated team in college baseball...They were swept by BOTH UK and Indiana and outside the win over Vandy I think the rest of their schedule has been a bunch of chumps...Their fans are going to be in for a big jolt next year in the acc...
3dgrin.r191677.gif

I extensively looked at Louisville's schedule the other day and it was pretty unimpressive. Most of their wins come from teams ranked RPI 101+. They were swept by UK and Indiana. Their major wins are against Houston (RPI 9) and Vandy (RPI 7). I believe they actually swept Houston. I was going to criticize them quite a bit for this, but it is somewhat hard to tell how good they are. Most of the ranked teams they played did not face their weekend starters. In the NCAA tournament they will have the opportunity to use just their weekend starters during the regional and super regional. Those starters might have evened the playing field against UK and Indiana. However, that is really hard to tell. I don't think UK has very good mid-week pitchers, but we still took care of business against Louisville. Louisville certainly hasn't played many good opponents and have lost a lot against those, but they also haven't played many with their best pitchers. So we'll see how well they do in the tournament. Hope to always see them go home early.

Actually, I can hate on Indiana's schedule. I'm sorry, but it's just not a difficult schedule when you get to play teams like Iowa and Northwestern and Penn state every weekend while UK is playing Florida, Ole Miss, and South Carolina. It's a totally different league (goes without saying). I don't give two shits about the RPI, all I'm saying is that UK has a better resume.

Of course it is not as tough as our schedule. However, they are not playing scrubs all season. They have a schedule ranked in the top 35. They went out and sought good competition and they beat that competition. You have to give them credit for that. It isn't the best schedule, but it is respectable. Now if you want to rag on Louisville's schedule then by all means.

A regular season league record of 14-16 probably kills any chance of hosting a regional, but you would think it MIGHT at least get some consideration IF Kentucky can win the SEC tournament.

I'd LOVE to see Kentucky get a shot at U of L next weekend
smile.r191677.gif
! Don't care where it's played.

GBB!!!

Originally posted by UKErik:
A regular season league record of 14-16 probably kills any chance of hosting a regional, but you would think it MIGHT at least get some consideration IF Kentucky can win the SEC tournament.

I'd LOVE to see Kentucky get a shot at U of L next weekend
smile.r191677.gif
! Don't care where it's played.

GBB!!!
Good point about hosting, the way we are playing I think the committee will keep us relatively close to home. Louisville would be ideal IMO, I like our chances there, or several other places for that matter !

If UK gets into the Louisville region and puts Louisville out of the post season just like in basketball I will be ecstatic. Glad tomorrow's game is on ESPN news so now I can watch them play!

Originally posted by Aries25:
If UK gets into the Louisville region and puts Louisville out of the post season just like in basketball I will be ecstatic. Glad tomorrow's game is on ESPN news so now I can watch them play!
Have been watching them play on espn3...

UL is a host.

Was there ever any doubt with jurich in charge.

Lost twice to Indiana and twice to us, and finished on a high note, only losing to Houston by 10-4.

I read a biography of J Edgar Hoover, and he kept in power by bugging EVERY Congressman, Senator, and President during his lifelong reign, and JFK was a sex maniac, he and Bobby hated him and almost had a way to get rid of him-----just before JFK was gotten rid of.

If jurich can throw $24,500,000 at a coach no other respectable University would ever hire I wonder how much he spends on bugs, LOL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT