ADVERTISEMENT

Horror Movies

I need a damn Cockney English interpreter for this movie, I can't understand what the other guy/pre-teen is saying.
I loved Romulus but agree the cast is young. Although maybe we are just getting old. Regarding Romero I saw Dawn of the Dead in the theater last year. A masterpiece. I watched Tales From the Darkside from the late 80's. It was okay; almost like Goosebumps, but had Christian Slater, Julliane Moore and Debra Harry. Man, Moore was smoking.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Ok almost done with Romulus.. I liked it. But damn if there aren't some pretty glaring plot/universe issues. Since when are the Aliens afraid of guns, and since when do they hold off on attacking. How come the anti gravity trick at the end only seemed to apply to the Blood when she was shooting them. How did Ash get on this space station? Oh and another human-oid alien?

I also don't love how this movie only gives you 3 or 4 alien "cannon fodder" victims, right from the get go.. and two of which, you clearly see what happens to them in the trailer.

And the call backs were great, until it got to like the 8th one and they were almost groan inducing.

All that said (lol), it was still a great reset to the franchise. It didn't really swing for the fences, but maybe that's a good thing. There's already a sequel in the works, but they could actually do a prequel with what happens to this weirdly-unexplained space station that was already ripped apart by aliens. Fede Alvarez laid the ground work, and now he can really put his mark on the Alien franchise.

Reactions: christophero
Of the ones you listed above, other than the Wrong Turn movies, what 2 would you say are the best ? If you had to pick two to watch ?

For being the "best".. I thought When Evil Lurks, The Void, and The Dark and the Wicked were fantastic. Pick any 2.

I love the Hatchet and Wrong Turn series.. it its debatable how good those actually are as movies, as opposed to just being kill count movies.

I hated the "get away from her you b****" call back, and I wasn't crazy about Ash, or the similar model. Other than that, loved it. I did enjoy the first Wrong Turn movie.

For being the "best".. I thought When Evil Lurks, The Void, and The Dark and the Wicked were fantastic. Pick any 2.

I love the Hatchet and Wrong Turn series.. it its debatable how good those actually are as movies, as opposed to just being kill count movies.

I'm gonna warn you.. all three movies will leave you as close to shell shocked as any horror movie you're gonna find. They are not for the casual horror fan. I had to turn on late night talk show comedy just to come-down a bit from what I watched.

I hated the "get away from her you b****" call back, and I wasn't crazy about Ash, or the similar model. Other than that, loved it. I did enjoy the first Wrong Turn movie.

Yeah the call backs, too many of them.

Was that a different "ash"? I guess so, because he did have a different name. Love that they got the permission to artificially recreate Ian Holm for the role (although the CGI sometimes looked a little wonky).

Some more things I liked: the characters weren't complete idiots like in most of the other Alien movies. And Andy was phenomenal as a synthetic. I'd love to see them in the next one.

I think I might still put Prometheus ahead of it.. if for nothing else than having Elba, Fassbender, Theron and others took it up a notch. And for all the missteps it took, it was beautifully shot and scored. But I put Romulus firmly at 4th. Just wish they added a few more characters to bite the dust. For as bad as Covenant was, you still had 6 or 7 great kills in that.

Reactions: christophero
New movies (as in released this year) or new to me (meaning I never watched before) that I watched this year that I particularly enjoyed - so an 8+ out of 10 on my scale
  • Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum - this is in my personal GOAT consideration
  • MadS
  • Horror in the High Desert 3
  • Longlegs
  • Godzilla Minus One
  • The Dark Tapes
  • The Blackwell Ghost 8
  • The Substance - not really a body horror fan but this was fantastic
  • The Houses October Built - 2011 version that was just released on Shudder recently. It's the original version of the movie that preceded the 2014 remake, but the 2011 version had actually never been released
  • Life of Belle
  • Rorschach
  • Oddity
  • Paranormal Activity 2 and 3 - yes somehow I had never seen anything but the first one until this year
  • Late Night with the Devil

• Love
Reactions: Mossip
Love the anthology flicks: Cat's Eye, Tales From the Crypt, Trick R Treat, Creepshow, Grim Prairie Tales, etc..

New movies (as in released this year) or new to me (meaning I never watched before) that I watched this year that I particularly enjoyed - so an 8+ out of 10 on my scale
  • Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum - this is in my personal GOAT consideration
  • MadS
  • Horror in the High Desert 3
  • Longlegs
  • Godzilla Minus One
  • The Dark Tapes
  • The Blackwell Ghost 8
  • The Substance - not really a body horror fan but this was fantastic
  • The Houses October Built - 2011 version that was just released on Shudder recently. It's the original version of the movie that preceded the 2014 remake, but the 2011 version had actually never been released
  • Life of Belle
  • Rorschach
  • Oddity
  • Paranormal Activity 2 and 3 - yes somehow I had never seen anything but the first one until this year
  • Late Night with the Devil

What is it about Gonjiam that makes it THAT good? I came across it scrolling through Streaming channels and remembered this post.. but the trailer was just like a weird K-Pop found footage film. Not to judge a book by its cover, but it looks terrible lol.

What is it about Gonjiam that makes it THAT good? I came across it scrolling through Streaming channels and remembered this post.. but the trailer was just like a weird K-Pop found footage film. Not to judge a book by its cover, but it looks terrible lol.
Gonjiam is pretty good, but yeah, don't understand all the hype. Worth watching, though.

Watched two movies last night, Catto Lake and Trap. BOTH sucked ass. I was so disinterested in Trap, I got on my phone and started betting Korean basketball games on Fan Duel. LOL, I bet the Goyang Sono Sky Gunners -8.5 v/s Anyang Jung Kwan Red. Won $50 on the bet, so I was pretty happy with the movie sucking. Gangnam Style dance after the win.

Noted player on Goyang Sono was none other than DJ Burns, the big boy who played for NC State last year, and blew up in the NCAA tournament.

** The final score was Goyang Sono 83 Anyang Jung Kwan 70 for those interested. **

I'm planning to rewatch "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" on Thursday night. I didn't discover the greatness of that movie until a couple of years ago. It's scary and hilarious at the same time. Highly influential to Tarrantino.

I'm a sucker for the old black and white Lon Chaney/Bela Lugosi movies also. "Bride of Frankenstein" is my favorite.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT